Table Leveling

GrayBeard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been spending a lot of time on Craig's list looking at pool tables for sale and
occasionally find 6-legged tables for sale. Is it more difficult to level a table with 6 legs than
a table with 4 legs? It seems to me that it would be, but I have no experience in leveling
tables, so thought I would ask the pros.

Mr Nobody

Banned
Not too many 6 legged around unless 5x10 or 6x12 . Not much different from 4 legged , more work on the slate with 5 piece . Don't waste your time with a machinist level . A cue ball will tell all you need to know ...;)

PoolTable911

AdvancedBilliardSolutions
Silver Member
Not too many 6 legged around unless 5x10 or 6x12 . Not much different from 4 legged , more work on the slate with 5 piece . Don't waste your time with a machinist level . A cue ball will tell all you need to know ...;)

Mr Nobody....Please let us know who you are and your credentials as a mechanic....Thanks

A-1 billiards

FELT WRIGHT
Silver Member

The way I read the initial post was that he was looking for "pool table". Many company's build tables with six legs, Peter Vitalie, Connelly, older Brunswicks Kling's, Arcades, Rochesters to name just a few in nine foot models.

The only tables I've ever seen with a five piece slate are 6x12 snooker tables and they generally have eight legs.

IMO, a machinist level is critical to the proper leveling of any table of any size no matter how many legs or how many slates it has, without exception...

Six leg pool tables can be leveled frame first (without the slate on) from the four corners. Do the short sides first, then level the middle bring the low end even with the with the higher end. Now place temporary shims under the middle legs (not tight just for support) Slate the table, follow your normal leveling procedure. If you need to adjust the frame further work the four corners. When your slates are fully leveled and liquid doweled, snug up your temporary shims, just enough to support the center legs and your done.

I like to use two wedge shims facing each other to support the center legs during this process. When i'm done I just cut of the excess so it doesn't show. If the table has levelers on the legs I follow the same process. Just work the corners first and use the center legs for support.

Jay

Mr Nobody

Banned
I have some experience with a 6 x 12 Brunswick,8 legged 5 piece slate , also a ( german ) 5 x 10- 3 cushion at the Old Paradise Billiards, now Click's Paradise in Texas . the tables are gone now ... :(

PoolTable911

Silver Member
I have some experience with a 6 x 12 Brunswick,8 legged 5 piece slate , also a ( german ) 5 x 10- 3 cushion at the Old Paradise Billiards, now Click's Paradise in Texas . the tables are gone now ... :(

So you are a table mechanic. Must take a while to level that 6 x 12 table with just a cue ball. I find it quicker, easier and more accurate with six starrett 98-12 machinist levels. Different strokes for different mechanics.

9-ball B

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
level with a cue ball??

I hope you don't charge by the hour leveling with just a cue ball

Mr Nobody

Banned
I guess" nobody knows ", except you guys ... wow , too many women trapped in mens bodies here on this forum . A cue ball will find the low spot quicker than anything , IF YOU KNOW HOW !!! USE A STRAIGHT EDGE TO GET ALL PIECES OF SLATE ON THE SAME PLAIN !!! EASY < IF YOU KNOW HOW !!! I guess you experts don't know how ... too bad , people might not think you are experts , just overly sensitive ... We have a saying around the pool hall for people like you guys .... " Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa " ;) How many different machinist levels ??? Gimme a break

Last edited:

PoolTable911

Silver Member
Truly Mr Nobody

I just received a PM from Mr Nobody threatening to beat me up.....Because I asked about his credentials to be answering questions asked to mechanics. This forum is attracting some real winners lately.

Gumbo

Registered
I guess" nobody knows ", except you guys ... wow , too many women trapped in mens bodies here on this forum . A cue ball will find the low spot quicker than anything , IF YOU KNOW HOW !!! USE A STRAIGHT EDGE TO GET ALL PIECES OF SLATE ON THE SAME PLAIN !!! EASY < IF YOU KNOW HOW !!! I guess you experts don't know how ... too bad , people might not think you are experts , just overly sensitive ... We have a saying around the pool hall for people like you guys .... " Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa " ;) How many different machinist levels ??? Gimme a break

If setting up tables was all about finding the low spot you'd be right about using a cue ball. And if all slates were perfect then you'd be right again about using a straight edge. The problem is what happens to the rest of the slate when you wedge the low spot and what to do with a slate that is not perfectly flat and how to find out where on the slate the problem is. But since you seem to know it all I'm not wasting my time on this subject. I hope for Pat that you're as good at beating up people as you're at setting up tables LOL...

Mr Nobody

Banned
Some people don't believe you go to hell for lying !!!! Go buy some womens panties , 2 pair . One for your head to hide the shame . PM seems like the best thing to do when dealing with a fragile ego or should I say cracked !!! Buddy , you got the personal problem , I could care less . Kind of like cutting the head off a chicken and watching the show . Not going to bring me any bad luck .... I'm all about the truth ... I didn't piss on anyone until I got pissed on, you called me out publicly instead of PM . Everyone else can read, between the lines , can't hide now , it's all out to where all can see . I've got what you sent first, posting it would prove you're a liar . Everybody want to see that . Liar - Liar ,pants on fire ... Why can't we all just get along . In case mr. six levels ( gimme a break ) can't ... Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!! Who else uses 6 levels ???? :eek::boring2: Look I really don't care and I apologize sincerely to the forum and to anyone who reads this junk . It my sincere hope the moderator deletes this waste of life !!! Also hope someone grows up ...

Last edited:

PoolTable911

Silver Member
Some people don't believe you go to hell for lying !!!! Go buy some womens panties , 2 pair . One for your head to hide the shame . PM seems like the best thing to do when dealing with a fragile ego or should I say cracked !!! Buddy , you got the personal problem , I could care less . Kind of like cutting the head off a chicken and watching the show . Not going to bring me any bad luck .... I'm all about the truth ... I didn't piss on anyone until I got pissed on, you called me out publicly instead of PM . Everyone else can read, between the lines , can't hide now , it's all out to where all can see . I've got what you sent first, posting it would prove you're a liar . Everybody want to see that . Liar - Liar ,pants on fire ... Why can't we all just get along . In case mr. six levels ( gimme a break ) can't ... Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!! Who else uses 6 levels ???? :eek::boring2: Look I really don't care and I apologize sincerely to the forum and to anyone who reads this junk . It my sincere hope the moderator deletes this waste of life !!! Also hope someone grows up ...

There is medication that will help you Mr. Nobody....:rotflmao1::rotflmao1:

GrayBeard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to thank those of you who responded positively to my question. It seems though that my question needs some clarification. I'm not actually looking for a 6 legged table, but I have been looking at tables for sale on Craig's list and have occasionally seen a 6-legged table for sale. Not being a table mechanic, I wondered if I would be exposing myself to additional difficulties and/or costs related to leveling a 6-legged table vs. a 4-legged table. Let me thank you in advance for your giving my questions your attention. it is much appreciated.

Gumbo

Registered

If setting up tables was all about finding the low spot you'd be right about using a cue ball. And if all slates were perfect then you'd be right again about using a straight edge. The problem is what happens to the rest of the slate when you wedge the low spot and what to do with a slate that is not perfectly flat - most of them - and how to find out where on the slate the problem is. But since you seem to know it all I'm not wasting my time on this subject.

A-1 billiards

FELT WRIGHT
Silver Member

I use 4-8 levels, Diamond uses 16-28 levels per table, this way you can see the effect on each adjustment of the slate. Many of the mechanics use one or two machinist levels along with directional cards to simulate having additional levels...

My question is why are you knocking a method of leveling a pool table that works? and why would you knock the person that uses it? If you want to roll pool balls on a slate, that's your choice. If someone else wants to use one, two or twenty levels to level the slate why is that a problem?

What's with the reference to women's panties? Are we who use machinist levels less "manly"? I don't understand your defensiveness toward mechanics that do things differently than you do.

Threatening violence, in a PM or insulting people who don't agree with your way of doing things, is definitely the wrong approach.

Jay

Colormegone2002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I definitely am not a mechanic but when I set my table up,I really couldn't afford to pay to have it done nor pay for 6-12 machinist levels.I did however not touch my table until I owned at least one machinist level.Very much worth the money.You just can't get anymore exact,even with a cue ball.
My advice is to buy yourself a machinist level or pay someone to do it for ya.Good luck with however you choose to go.If you go with the cue ball method and need a few,I have several I can give ya.lol

Cuephoric

1hole anyone?
Silver Member
Dear mr nobody.... 1- don't be another egotistical moronic knowitall. We've seen enough hacks posing as knowledgeable by being able to read past threads and get an education. 2- starting a keyboard flame war isn't conducive to the longevity of anything positive. 3- threaten pat....? C'mon. I'm about 1700 miles closer AND currently in the lone star state and traveling nonstop. 4- I've got straight edges, starretts, balls and the history to use any of them at my leisure. 5- who are you and where do you operate (although your references to rooms is already drawing a picture) and I'm kinda due for a trip to the Austin area. We can chat- I won't hide behind a computer. I rarely ever turn mine on actually. 6- no matter how you word it, there's a difference between an installer and a mechanic. Coming out of left field talking smack to some of the top mechanics in the industry will serve no purpose other than to stir up past memories of banned members and another good chuckle from the rest. 7- 5pc slates are on 8 legged tables. I'd continue to list the reasons you came out barking at the wrong dogs- but with your hands holding something long and hard with one hand and some balls with the other- I wouldn't want you to have to kick off your shoes to keep counting with us.

Now- back to the original post and topic at hand- 6 leg tables take more work initially to level, and if getting one would seriously reccomend not putting on a suspended floor- more contacting parts to move and generally a heavier build frame with thicker slates. You never see one in slate on an 1880s Pfister or later on with Klings even,for example, and both were among the list that had leg options.There's been times in the past when a lot of tables under 10ft were built with 4 and 6 leg options. Decades of the option actually. And I've heard of recent tables made in China reviving them. I've never seen a 6 leg 12 ft table- only 8 legs that I can remember. But more slates, length and weight needs more support and weight distribution. And anyone trying to level out a Riley's snooker table with nothing but a straight edge and a ball would be paying rent to the owner before it was even remotely not funny anymore, I'm getting a good laugh at the visual now actually.... But I digress. If you find an old 6 legged table in good shape or can be restored- I'd jump on it. One of those times when the juice can be worth the squeeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Club Billiards

Absolute Billiard Service
Silver Member
I think I would personally trust the accuracy of a machinist level over the roundness/balance of most balls, and the straightness of my roll. End result, you want the ball to roll straight, but do you cook a pizza by tasting it? A good mechanic should use the proper tools to do the job.

Back to the original question, Jay is pretty right on. In my limited experience with them, the 6-leggers take a little more time and work, but not enough to steer you away from buying one if that's what catches your eye during your search. If you hire a good mechanic to install it, they should be able to do so just as well as they would a 4-legger.

mark187

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mr Nobody is Eric Wynne. He has been banned under a previous account, and should be banned again fairly soon. I wouldn't take anything he says to seriously, I've heard he can get a bit 'crazy'.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

gutshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mr Nobody is Eric Iorgov of EI cues in Corpus Christi. "Eric Wynne" was probably a cover name or possible Wynne is his middle name.

Mr Nobody is Eric Wynne. He has been banned under a previous account, and should be banned again fairly soon. I wouldn't take anything he says to seriously, I've heard he can get a bit 'crazy'.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk