My One Transaction with Steve

oneballeddie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In 1997 or 1998 Steve started a new Senior Tour, a string of tournaments for players over 50; many tournaments with $25,000 added. Steve wanted and made sure everything about this new tour would be first class. From player behavior to dress code he had very strict "suggestions" for those wishing to participate. One of the tour's features was all the players would get a Senior Tour blazer and pose for a group picture before each tournament.

I'm not pro caliber but I had the age requirement nailed so I decided to sign up for one of the early tournaments at Fast Eddie's in Alexandria and called Steve to enter. He quoted me the entry fee (I think $500) and explained I would also get a tour jacket for the event and the picture. He asked my size - 42 short and said the jacket would be there at the start of the event.

Well, Karen called me before the tournament with profuse apologies that they could not get a jacket in that size and offered my money back. I said don't worry about it and played anyway. I had an undistinguished 2 n out but went home happy that I had competed closely with two good players, James Tucker from Ocala FL and Claude Bernatchez from Canada.

Two weeks later a 42 short Senior Tour jacket arrived by Fed Ex, which I still value for that experience and hope I get a chance to wear again sometime.

I will always remember Steve, and his wife Karen, as "stand-up" people. God bless them both.