Leil "JR" Gay has passed away

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
RIP

He was one of the first big time players I got to see while I was growing up in Ohio. Awesome player and a really nice guy.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's always so sad to read about one of our own who passes away. Though we may not have crossed paths in a long, long time, these players are members of the Tribal Nation of Pool.

I always liked Leil. He had a gutzy kind of charisma when it came to pool. May he rest in peace.

Photo taken at Carolinas Open in 2003. This was Leil's lucky shirt.

Attachments

• Leil.JPG
    Leil.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 1,937

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's always so sad to read about one of our own who passes away. Though we may not have crossed paths in a long, long time, these players are members of the Tribal Nation of Pool.

I always liked Leil. He had a gutzy kind of charisma when it came to pool. May he rest in peace.

He did put on a good show that week, didnt he?

You sure about the year? I thought it was 05?

Christ!! either way it was a decade plus ago.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He did put on a good show that week, didnt he?

You sure about the year? I thought it was 05?

Christ!! either way it was a decade plus ago.

I'm trying to remember. It might have been. I'll have to look it up on my other computer.

So sad to see one of our own pass away. He was an old-school campaigner when it came to pool and a very proud Native American.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dang, another great player passes on. May Leil rest in peace.

I had not heard of him until I went to the 2003 DCC where my friend pointed him out. His stance was so unique I watched him play often...and he sure could play!

Very sad,
Dave

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member

I remember the first time I saw him was in 92. I thought he looked like one of the Sicilian hitmen from The Godfather. He went on to blow out the tournament that night and I was introduced to a simple pattern straight pool way of playing 9 ball

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RIP

He was one of the first big time players I got to see while I was growing up in Ohio. Awesome player and a really nice guy.

Sad news, my condolences to his friends and family.

I had the opportunity to play Leil at the 2001 DCC back at the old Executive West. He won the first game and I won the next two. In the last two games I had a couple of chances to win the match but each time the ball hung. I lost 3-2. As JR was unscrewing he said, "You were the better player this match, I didn't deserve to win." Which wasn't really true but was a very nice, classy thing for him to say.

Lou Figueroa

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sad news.

I'm trying to remember. It might have been. I'll have to look it up on my other computer.

So sad to see one of our own pass away. He was an old-school campaigner when it came to pool and a very proud Native American.

I grew up watching him play back in Ohio, I really nice guy, great player and good for the game.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I got to see him play quite a bit here in Phoenix when he was living in the area. I have some old match videos from when we were doing a tour here on YouTube, crappy quality as they are nearly 10 years old but guy could play some pool. Nice guy too. Any word on what happened? :(

The Milk Man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sad to hear Leil was a great player. Got to see him some when he was living in Ohio. He was always a pleasure to watch.

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
There's a good video of him playing Ronnie Allen in the 1998 World One Pocket championship,

Accu-Stats still has it listed. JR plays great, it's one of the few Ronnie Allen videos out there, and Freddie the Beard does commentary I believe.

Price of a twelve pack of beer for a really cool match.

RIP.

Another fine player gone.:(

IronDon55

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Re; "JR" Leil Gay

I got to know JR when he took some time out from pool after his Dad died and was hanging around Kent, OH (1978). I remember him telling me that the respite was welcome after the pressure of playing to help pay the family bills during his teen years. He had a nice girlfriend and visited the KSU poolroom where I worked just to bang the balls around on occasion. Always generous with advice and willing to play for table time. Here is a nice summary of his life and career.
RIP. Namaste.
http://www.8ball.org/documents/Profiles/leil_gay.htm

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sad

Very very sad. JR was the houseman at Northfield Billiards where I played. The very first time I saw him play was in 1994 a straight Pool Tournament put on by Frank Zummo. JR was one of the deciding factors on me buying a Diamond over a Anniversary . RIP JR.

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RIP. 1st time seen him play was at DERBY 05 and placed high in 9ball. yes what a great player he was. for sure 1 of the best!

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry to hear this. He was a nice guy with a super smooth stroke when I saw him at DCC the first year I went. Maybe around 02-03 or so.

One year at Derby Leil was playing in the tourney in a close match late in the evening with someone I don't remember. Pretty boy Floyd was working the room in his normal loud mouth style. Leil politely asked him to keep it down while the tourney was going on. Of course, Jimmy had to be the guy he is and bark back a little. JR handled it with class and PBF looked more like an ass.

RIP in JR

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Sad to hear. Met him just once. Believe he ran over 300 at straight pool. RIP.

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
Very very sad. JR was the houseman at Northfield Billiards where I played. The very first time I saw him play was in 1994 a straight Pool Tournament put on by Frank Zummo. JR was one of the deciding factors on me buying a Diamond over a Anniversary . RIP JR.

Funny you mention Frank. He was at the tournament the first time I saw JR. I didn't know JR at the time and never saw him play. I was dead set on buying Frank in the Calcutta and he just looked at me and shook his head. Little did I know it was because JR was there