Jayson Shaw: Worst coach ever?

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So the nerves seemed to be getting to Filler finally, he's a little rattled, but he somehow wins the game to bring it to 3-3 against Skyler Woodward.

What does Jayson Shaw do? Between racks he walks over, gently nudges Filler into his chair, then hulks over him, apparently berating him to play smarter or some'such. You can tell by Filler's reactions he's not feeling encouraged by this exchange. Meanwhile the actual captain, Marcus, walks (slinks?) away:

https://youtu.be/Wew2zaxy0BA?t=1727

Attachments

• Jayson-Filler.jpg
    Jayson-Filler.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 1,644
Last edited:

jeephawk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you know what he actually said? Know either of them personally to know all the context that may have gone into the remarks?

Could have said exactly what Filler needed to hear - without them commenting on it, no way you would know it was inappropriate.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I have to hand it to Shaw for great sportsmanship. In the first match Shaw versus Thorpe, Billy kicked at a ball and Ken called a
bad hit. Ken even picked up the cue ball. Jason jumped up and said no, it was a good hit. On review it turns out it was a good hit.

I respect Shaw as a player and a human for not allowing a bad call, even if it went against him.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
My guess is that Jayson was referencing the Charles Dickens classic "Great Expectations." All kidding aside, though, Filler hardly needs anyone getting in his face at this moment. Of course, maybe they were just discussing the Trump impeachment process --- seems that's all most people are talking about these days.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to hand it to Shaw for great sportsmanship. In the first match Shaw versus Thorpe, Billy kicked at a ball and Ken called a
bad hit. Ken even picked up the cue ball. Jason jumped up and said no, it was a good hit. On review it turns out it was a good hit.

I respect Shaw as a player and a human for not allowing a bad call, even if it went against him.

Shaw was definitely more humble this year.

Maybe because they were down?

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you know what he actually said? Know either of them personally to know all the context that may have gone into the remarks?

Could have said exactly what Filler needed to hear - without them commenting on it, no way you would know it was inappropriate.

Watching the video, whatever Jayson is saying, Filler is not responding well to it. A good coach knows the psychology of his team and what they need to hear to lift them up.

jeephawk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watching the video, whatever Jayson is saying, Filler is not responding well to it. A good coach knows the psychology of his team and what they need to hear to lift them up.

And you don't know what he said or anything about how Filler was really taking it.

You may be right, could just as easily be 100% wrong. No way for you to know.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jason Shaw talks with such a strong accent, it sounds like he is talking with marbles in his mouth.

Filler probably never understood a word he said.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Shaw was definitely more humble this year.

Maybe because they were down?

Probably because he is now more established and respected as a powerhouse champion and has less to prove. Also, him and Billy are friends.

Depite all this nationalism rah-rah stuff, pool is really a brotherhood of players who happen to be from all over the world and our friendships transcend race and nationality.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And you don't know what he said or anything about how Filler was really taking it.

You may be right, could just as easily be 100% wrong. No way for you to know.

If you watch the video, you can see Filler didn’t like it and was defensive about whatever Shaw said.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The guy is a world champ, I dont think he needs any coaching or words of encouragement in between games.

Shaw is out of line for sure.

WoodyMPW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They're pretty tight. You're trying to make something out of nothing. Typical APA playoff night with your best bud.

jeephawk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you watch the video, you can see Filler didn’t like it and was defensive about whatever Shaw said.

Saw it live on video and, lol, didn't jump to any conclusions about a conversation I couldn't hear between two people I've never met and wouldn't have the slightest idea what their body language or expressions might mean.

Fun to take off on Shaw I suppose, but come on now. A thread based on that exchange?

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To me, it did not look like JF wanted to hear that shaw smack from body language. Jacked up his mojo. Props to JS the player coach.

-Kat,

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To me, it did not look like JF wanted to hear that shaw smack from body language. Jacked up his mojo. Props to JS the player coach.

-Kat,

You could tell from his body language that whatever Shaw was saying wasn't agreeing with him. He looked like he wanted Shaw to STFU and go back to his chair.

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So the nerves seemed to be getting to Filler finally, he's a little rattled, but he somehow wins the game to bring it to 3-3 against Skyler Woodward.

What does Jayson Shaw do? Between racks he walks over, gently nudges Filler into his chair, then hulks over him, apparently berating him to play smarter or some'such. You can tell by Filler's reactions he's not feeling encouraged by this exchange. Meanwhile the actual captain, Marcus, walks (slinks?) away:

https://youtu.be/Wew2zaxy0BA?t=1727

Do you think maybe Jayson tried to pump him up, telling him he's the new "King" and to go show everyone why's that's true? Or maybe Filler, felt the pressure because he boasted about being the new king after the last match? I don't know either, but I'm sure he knew Skyler wasn't afraid of him.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve had people “coach” me before by trying to amp me up with their own highly intense/critical/adrenaline/fixated gestures. It’s counterproductive for me. I can’t take back the choices I made and nothing said will affect my decisionmaking that short term, e.g. the next rack or two. The best things I need to hear are things that soothe me. Calm my heart rate. Remind me to go through my preshot routine. Encourage staying down, leveraging what I already know, working angles, using pocket speed, not rushing, etc.

So when I saw that moment with Shaw / Filler, it looked a lot like times others added pressure on me when I could have used less. But who knows for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you think maybe Jayson tried to pump him up, telling him he's the new "King" and to go show everyone why's that's true?

Without the video I would never has posted this thread. But it's obvious whatever Jayson is saying didn't rub well with Filler.

I'm a Jayson Shaw fan. I love watching him play.

What he seemed to do here is the same unforced error I've seen many amateur league coaches and team mates do: flood their team mates mind with a bunch of "hey you idiot! You should have used Low Left and gone two rails, blah blah blah...."

Diplomatically discuss these things with your team mate After The Match.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
There is an art to coaching players to give their best performance. Getting in their face is rarely part of that. The best coaching may consist of only a few well chosen words. Jeremy's visits with players during matches were usually very brief.