August pool schools in Minneapolis

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Randyg and I will be holding two 3-day pool schools, back to back, next August in Minneapolis, MN. The first one will be held at CR's Billiards in Coon Rapids, Tues. 8/12 through Thursday 8/14. The second school will be held at Shooter's Billiards in Burnsville, Fri. 8/15 through Sunday 8/17. PM me for more information or to post a deposit. These schools will fill quickly. If you're interested in elevating your game, here's a perfect opportunity! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
If anyone is giving this some thought Do It.

I'm just wondering.

Have you taken the school approach or have you gone the private lesson road.

I've read a thread about a Mark Wilson group lesson situation that did not go well at all. In fact, some called it a disastrous waste of time & money.

Some, rather many, suggested to stay entirely away from group lessons & to only go the private one on one road.

Have you taken the multi student school course or did you get one on one instruction?

Also, one type of curriculum will not fill the desire of every type of student. There are many levels of players & everyone is not looking for what is believed to be certain 'fundamentals'.

I think one should do their homework so as to not be disappointed.

It can only be a good thing if disappointing & unhappy experiences are kept to a minimum & as few as possible.

That way the word of mouth of such will not grow & dissuade those for which a certain curriculum might be a good fit.

Everyone is different & some can & will spend the time & money to simply take a look & if something is not for what they were looking, they chalk it up to experience, while others want what they want & if they do not receive what they thought they were going to be getting, then they will let others know about it & the whole situation may be misrepresented because of a lack of proper communication that results in a misunderstanding.

So... are you recommending the group lessons based on your experience from taking them initially or did you go the one on one private road?

Thanks in advance for any qualifying clarification.

Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So... are you recommending the group lessons based on your experience from taking them initially or did you go the one on one private road?

I'm basing my recommendation on personal experience with Scott 1 on 1 and his ability to delivery. He is all about teaching not extortion.(charging by the minute). His passion to teach equals his abilities. I would give him my hard earned $$$ and be in a group of his. Same for Randy G.
I would definitely attend pool school but it is not near my zip code. The beauty/advantage of a group would be the individual can gain some experience playing with strangers. My biggest problem is I get complacent playing the same people all of the time.
If I recommended Scott to someone and they did not improve they never practiced. NEVER. I know that for a fact. And to the ones that did not like pool school I'll bet the same...they never practiced or had unreal expectations.....or no talent at all...and are helpless. No talent meaning they can cannot comprehend the instructions or have no physical skills to deliver a finely tuned stroke. And yes one size does not fit all but students need to seek out the best recommended instructors. Scott is not my first but my best. I had previous instructors were we did not click. Realtime reviews are what makes the instructor credible. A person has to precede from there.
I appreciate your comments but not sure what you are trying to achieve. Change your posture. Be an ambassador. If you personally do not agree with things please base them on your experience only. I enjoy competent instructors. They work for me. I'm currently learning One Pocket from a 1st class player/instructor. I'd love to see him promote a pool school. I'd enjoy learning and playing others under no risk conditions. I'm a person that cannot learn pool on my on. Schools?....the rules of life told me I need to attend sometime.
Anyway if anyone is thinking about going to Scotts/Randy's school this is a wonderful opportunity to learn from the best. You will learn a lot. Anything you learn will help your game. And you will learn...and have fun....and enjoy pool more....the better you play the better the fun. It's lifetime of fun.

And Billiards and sex being 2 things that can be enjoyed at any level......I'm so thankfull:killingme::killingme::killingme::

Last edited:

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm just wondering.

Have you taken the school approach or have you gone the private lesson road.

I've read a thread about a Mark Wilson group lesson situation that did not go well at at all. In fact, some called it a disastrous waste of time & money.

Some, rather many, suggested to stay entirely away from group lessons & to only go the private one on one road.

Have you taken the multi student school course or did you get one on one instruction?

Also, one type of curriculum will not fill the desire of every type of student. There are many levels of players & everyone is not looking for what is believed to be certain 'fundamentals'.

I think one should do their homework so as to not be disappointed.

It can only be a good thing if disappointing & unhappy experiences are kept to a minimum & as few as possible.

That way the word of mouth of such will not grow & dissuade those for which a certain curriculum might be a good fit.

Everyone is different & some can & will spend the time & money to simply take a look & if something is not for what they were looking, they chalk it up to experience, while others want what they want & if they do not receive what they thought they were going to be getting, then they will let others know about it & the whole situation may be misrepresented because of a lack of proper communication that results in a misunderstanding.

So, did a pool instructor deflower your sister or something, the way you seen to have a vendetta against them. Luckily for them, every criticism you make bolsters their stature.

I hear some of them are going to be adding "Slammed by ENGLISH" on their business cards as an endorsement.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I'm basing my recommendation on personal experience with Scott 1 on 1 and his ability to delivery. He is all about teaching not extortion.(charging by the minute). His passion to teach equals his abilities. I would give him my hard earned $$$ and be in a group of his. Same for Randy G.
I would definitely attend pool school but it is not near my zip code. The beauty/advantage of a group would be the individual can gain some experience playing with strangers. My biggest problem is I get complacent playing the same people all of the time.
If I recommended Scott to someone and they did not improve they never practiced. NEVER. I know that for a fact. And to the ones that did not like pool school I'll bet the same...they never practiced or had unreal expectations.....or no talent at all...and are helpless. No talent meaning they can cannot comprehend the instructions or have no physical skills to deliver a finely tuned stroke. And yes one size does not fit all but students need to seek out the best recommended instructors. Scott is not my first but my best. I had previous instructors were we did not click. Realtime reviews are what makes the instructor credible. A person has to precede from there.
I appreciate your comments but not sure what you are trying to achieve. Change your posture. Be an ambassador. If you personally do not agree with things please base them on your experience only. I enjoy competent instructors. They work for me. I'm currently learning One Pocket from a 1st class player/instructor. I'd love to see him promote a pool school. I'd enjoy learning and playing others under no risk conditions. I'm a person that cannot learn pool on my on. Schools?....the rules of life told me I need to attend sometime.
Anyway if anyone is thinking about going to Scotts/Randy's school this is a wonderful opportunity to learn from the best. You will learn a lot. Anything you learn will help your game. And you will learn...and have fun....and enjoy pool more....the better you play the better the fun. It's lifetime of fun.

Thanks for the qualitative clarifications of your personal experiences.

I can appreciate your pleasant, rewarding & satisfied experience & I am sure that others are just like you & would agree with you, but some of what you say here is also simply not factual as you state them to be.

Everyone's needs are different & everyone is at different levels of playing ability & everyone does not want to or perhaps can not employ the same methods or type of methods.

That is why I have been talking about a 'fit' & how better communication should eliminate some of the unhappy & unsatisfied stories that have been told to me about some instructors.

It is simply not right to blame only the student as you want to do here.

Also everyone learns differently. There are those that would certainly not recommend group lessons. Perhaps they are not the type to learn well in that environment. Others may learn well in that environment.

There were a few that totally dissed that group session with Mark Wilson but praised his one on one lesson that they had received from him. They were not saying that they could not learn in a group environment but that Mr. Wilson was much much better in the one on one.

I've coached the 3 major sports from kiddies to young adults & golf for two years at the middle school level & I was offered a job teaching tennis that I rather foolishly turned down.

When instruction is not working for an individual it is up to the coach or instructor to find a way to get it to work for the student. That is why the one size fits all (or most) line of thinking is faulty.

You can teach a left handed individual to try to play golf right handed or you can advise them to get left handed clubs. Some are actually better playing opposite handed.

It's about finding the fit for the individual & not imposing upon them what is not a fit for them.

I can teach more than one way to hit a baseball with a bat. I would NOT want to teach a certain method to an individual that is capable of hitting home runs, while I would want to teach that method to one of a lesser physical ability.

So... you're recommending something that you've never experienced & really do not know anything about... the group lessons of a multi student 'school'.

I'm not saying anything about it one way or the other, but at least we now have the facts & know that your recommendation to "Do it" is not specific to the situation, but is more just an assumption based on your other one on one experience that was good for you.

Two instructors probably are better than one trying to do group lessons & some teach quite well to groups while others have a bit of trouble as the more public environment is not what they are the best at.

I am rather sure that someone that has been through the group 'school' can chime in & recommend it. Then all one has to do is to find out if the curriculum is something of which they are interested in.

Thanks Again & I appreciate your candor.

Last edited:

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
So, did a pool instructor deflower your sister or something, the way you seen to have a vendetta against them. Luckily for them, every criticism you make bolsters their stature.

I hear some of them are going to be adding "Slammed by ENGLISH" on their business cards as an endorsement.

Everyone is at will to do whatever they wish.

Why do you care if I suggest that individuals do some due diligence & communicate better that for which they are seeking so as to possibly avoid those bad unsatisfied experiences of which I have been told.

I've not "Slammed" any instructors.

I've talked about ideology that may not be a fit & that one should consider for just what they are looking when booking lessons.

Do you want individuals to have bad experiences with instructors because of a lack of or miscommunication?

Perhaps you do... as you also do not care nor have any problem if an inaccurate description is applied regarding another product.

You seem to have nominated yourself to be a 'defender' of instructors.

Well I'm just trying to save some individuals from those bad unsatisfied experiences.

One might think that the two are not mutually exclusive. That is if one had an open mind & not afraid to look into matters a bit.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Snip usual passive aggressive pontificating...............
Well I'm just trying to save some individuals from those bad unsatisfied experiences.
Snip more of the same...........

For any that are inclined to consider ENGLISH! as a source for good advice. Here is a quote from the, 8 Ball Analyze: Rack #8 thread.

Since it appears that a stripe is down & the 10 is the only problem, I'd go stripes & move the 10 out on the last shot before the 8.

That statement is indicative of the level of play that you can attain on your own after 40 some years of playing.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
For any that are inclined to consider ENGLISH! as a source for good advice. Here is a quote from the, 8 Ball Analyze: Rack #8 thread.

That statement is indicative of the level of play that you can attain on your own after 40 some years of playing.

FYI...

Whenever I played in any leagues which at one time was 4 & even 5 nights a week, I always & every time received the most run out awards.

Everyone sees runs differently based on their skill level & shooting style & what they know they are capable of.

I see no issue with running those stripes.

If you do then that is your issue.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

imo, i would go with stripes. Start with the 9ball and work way up to break the 10ball out with the 12ball or 11ball.

9-14-11-13
then figure out a way to shoot the 12 on the side to break the 10 cluster.
pray that you get a lucky position or at least get the 10 out of that crowd.

If I could shoot the 4 and force the cue ball over between the 9 and 6 to shoot the 6 in the corner next I would go for the out with the 2-7 being a good place to get a safety if the plan goes awry. I also like shooting the 4 in the side and draw the cue ball back close to where it is. Then play safe by taking the cue ball to the head rail at or just inside the chalk to bump the 7 to the rail and hide the cue ball behind the 7 and 2. Even if my oponent can make a hit I like my chances from there. I do not see a ball that could easily be kicked in from that position.:cool:

Some people can shoot & run out & have confidence in themselves garnered from prior success & knowing their abilities.

Others immediately look to play safes because they are afraid & lack faith & confidence in their ability.

Naturally there is a time when a run out is just not there & playing the safety or a two way shot is the proper thing to do.

There are those that are afraid of english too & almost only play center ball. Those individuals are usually at the mercy of the layout.

Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've talked about ideology that may not be a fit & that one should consider for just what they are looking when booking lessons.

One size does not fit all. You are absolutely correct. Nobody can argue that. Just curious why you do not support Scott and Randy as per their many positive reviews. Just curious why you don't promote..."Give them a try". If Scott gave his usual offering of After 2 hours you do not like the lesson he will shake hands with you and part friends at no cost to you.... Would you consider that? You keep going to the negative side of a school/class/instructor. Can I challenge you to find the positive side. You say not all instructors are good. That goes for everyone we connect with. Mechanics, Dr. Attorneys, etc. One size does not fit all. Everyone cannot be pleased. However if Scott/Randy have x-amount of positive reviews isn't that good enough for you to encourage people to Try Them. Of course not everyone will say the school was a 100% experience. But then again some people are never satisfied. The fact that R & S have an extremely positive track record and history can you see into that. One size does not fit all. We know that....best to find out by trying it on for size. Might fit very well. Can I encourage you to see the bright side of the day....see the sun not the clouds. How would you choose an instructor. What qualities will you look for. Forget about It might not fit. How about if it does fit? Let's spin the wheel here.
You keep stating one size does not fit all...Forgettaboutit....that is given. You are bringing stress to where there is none. You are set up for failure.

To anyone reading this thread....If you are thinking about signing up I'm jealous. Would enjoy being there with you. Scott and Randy are a great find. Do not let any negative posts effect your decision to attend. The posts by English should not be on this thread as it is not a chat room discussion. It is an offering to become a better player by 2 excellent instructors. We're looking forward to your reviews after you attend.

Last edited:

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Sir,

I will not repeat what has already been determined & said. Each individual should & will make their own determination as to what direction they will go if they are in the market for lessons, as well that they should.

I am not trying to stop anyone from attending anything or taking lessons from whomever they wish.

You said "Do it" & I asked for a clarification & you provided one.

You say my posts should not be in this thread. How about this thread should not be in this sub forum as it is NOT the For Sale sub forum?

Here is where members come for advice about issues for which they do not have to pay. There is also a section for instructor reviews.

There are different ideologies out there that work quite well & everyone should know that & that there are instructors other than the 220 SPF 'franchise'.

You suggest 2 of the SPF type. I would recommend others.

I think that's about it.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sir,

I will not repeat what has already been determined & said.
I think you OWN this sound. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SYnjHhbWec You would serve well as a disclosure expert writing the fine line on a package that says Caution this may not work out. The fine line on a medication bottle that reads caution this drug is life saving BUT. The fine line on a pool instructors website that says 99.9% of our students become better players and keep growing but you might be the .1%.
In real life are you a critic. Are you a writer. You seem to enjoy dialog regardless of the value. I'm not knocking or attacking you....simply summarizing your statements. You appear to be person that looks for problems until you find them. If I had no idea who Scott and Randy were I think I would be more curious than ever to research them. I suggest to anyone giving their school some thought....please research both of them. If you can find someone better...Use Them....because they are as good as it gets.

Last edited:

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Now we totally agree on something.

I think anyone that is considering lessons should do their due diligence research & get a good idea as to the curriculum that will be being taught.

That way those poor fits & unsatisfied experiences might be kept to a minimum.

If one researches the SPF curriculum & they feel that that is the direction that they wish to go then they know what to expect & should not be dissatisfied like the stories that have been told to me.

If one determines that the SPF curriculum is not for what they are looking then they can look elsewhere for a different type of instructor with a different ideology.

Hence there should be better fits & less bad unsatisfied experiences.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Now we totally agree on something.

I think anyone that is considering lessons should do their due diligence research & get a good idea as to the curriculum that will be being taught.

That way those poor fits & unsatisfied experiences might be kept to a minimum.

If one researches the SPF curriculum & they feel that that is the direction that they wish to go then they know what to expect & should not be dissatisfied like the stories that have been told to me.

If one determines that the SPF curriculum is not for what they are looking then they can look elsewhere for a different type of instructor with a different ideology.

Hence there should be better fits & less bad unsatisfied experiences.

If no one (such as myself) had no any idea of what SPF was....why would they question it. If someone wanted to improve because their skills are limited why would they question what an instructor is offering. I have used various instructors in the past...My first question was definitely not are we using SPF....I had no first questions as I had no idea what I was doing. I read the instructors reviews and let me tell you there are nothing like real time reviews. Especially on AzB.

By the way...stories told to you are second hand. They have "O" credibility. NO VALUE. Go write a YELPS review and say "I heard". It will not be printed. Your posts are absolutely VOID.
"Stories told" are the weakest form of commenting. .
BTW...I'm enjoying the dialog with you. It gives Randy and Scott more exposure. I support the positive people in pool. The positive people being competent instructors or billiard supply companies and I support Azb by being a Gold member here.
You seem to support the negative side of winning the lotto. Have you been a student of Scotts or Randy's. If not you are here to blow wind.
Here's you song sir https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SYnjHhbWec .....Let's see your dance.

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now that we have this thread back on track...we have a couple of slots still open for the Aug. 12-14 pool school at CR Billiards, and a couple of slots still open for the Aug. 15-17 pool school at Shooter's Billiards. PM me if you're interested in either school. :D

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com