Not trying to brag but uhhhhh....

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just kidding

My room had its first 8 ball tournament Monday night since sometime in March. Many times, when it gets down to the final 2 people, someone will ask if they want to chop it and they always seem to agree.

Our format is race to 2 on the A side and race to 1 on the B side. I won my first 3 or 4 matches pretty easily and then played a fellow who is pretty dern good. The crazy thing is, during our quarantine he got a CS Bailey, 8 ft 3 piece slate table that he has been practicing on...AND, he now has a glove for which he used to make fun of people who wore them. DISCLAIMER... I have a bar box that I have continued to practice on but he seemed more intense about it.

I broke and had 1 trouble ball, I decided to get on the 3rd and made it but did not position well. I missed and he ran out. He broke the 2nd game, made 1, pockets 3 and left me a really good safe. I made contact but missed, he ran out and won and put me on the B side.

I won 2 or 3, 1 game matches and came back to the same guy who beat me to put me on the B side...Glove guy.

I never say anything about splitting the pot, but to be honest, if someone asks if I want to split, I will. He didn't say anything, nor did I.

I played him 3 times and beat him 3 times and took it down.

I saw no handshakes but many elbow and fist bumps. People were missing shots that I believe that they might have otherwise have made. People were using their own chalk. I think there were only about 15 or 16 players so not a big tourny by any stretch but it felt really good to play someone in competition again.

Anybody playing tournament again?

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not playing tournaments nor have have I been to the members only club that I belong to. But I am so glad to see things moving back toward normalcy.

I have been to one local bar/pool hall. There are few of us there and everyone practices social distancing and such as well as can be expected. I will say that the bar/pool scene, in my area, is re-engaging with far more caution than the popular bar scene. It is my hope that we are on our way to back to a responsible normal life styles.

I have a home table and honestly feel like I am playing better than before COVID. Thanks to PT, I have been practicing my 14-1. Drives me crazy and not sure if it helps my rotation games that much but has definitely been fun working on my high run.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Just kidding

My room had its first 8 ball tournament Monday night since sometime in March. Many times, when it gets down to the final 2 people, someone will ask if they want to chop it and they always seem to agree.

Our format is race to 2 on the A side and race to 1 on the B side. I won my first 3 or 4 matches pretty easily and then played a fellow who is pretty dern good. The crazy thing is, during our quarantine he got a CS Bailey, 8 ft 3 piece slate table that he has been practicing on...AND, he now has a glove for which he used to make fun of people who wore them. DISCLAIMER... I have a bar box that I have continued to practice on but he seemed more intense about it.

I broke and had 1 trouble ball, I decided to get on the 3rd and made it but did not position well. I missed and he ran out. He broke the 2nd game, made 1, pockets 3 and left me a really good safe. I made contact but missed, he ran out and won and put me on the B side.

I won 2 or 3, 1 game matches and came back to the same guy who beat me to put me on the B side...Glove guy.

I never say anything about splitting the pot, but to be honest, if someone asks if I want to split, I will. He didn't say anything, nor did I.

I played him 3 times and beat him 3 times and took it down.

I saw no handshakes but many elbow and fist bumps. People were missing shots that I believe that they might have otherwise have made. People were using their own chalk. I think there were only about 15 or 16 players so not a big tourny by any stretch but it felt really good to play someone in competition again.

Anybody playing tournament again?

I wish!
I live in a remote area and it would take me a couple of hours to even find a tourney. I have not always been isolated and not that many years ago many bars in the mountains had a couple of 7 fters. The bar would put on little 12-16 man events and I would go and play. At first I was always the stranger when going to a new place and would try and keep my mouth shut but I also make friends easily.

These small tourneys would start at 6;30ish and were sloooow. Usually run by other players who really did not know what they were doing and more of a social night then anything else. I would play down and never show my speed but would win 8 out of 10. I would not make it to these tourneys every week because I did not want to burn the other players out by winning all the time.

The prize for winning was between $100 and $150 so it was not a bad take for 6-7 hours:eek:. I made many friends and ended up working on many of their cues over the years and would rarely charge them. I know the feeling of the pride when driving home after winning and wish we still had those small events again.

Nice job coming off the left side and whooping the player who whooped you...there is something special with that.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
What a nice way to start playing the game again...the game remembered all those balls
you hit in the past.

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have practiced for 65 days straight on my home table. i got my son to play me one game of 9 ball in this time. i was so happy to finally play someone that i missed a couple of easy shots. i play at least 2 hours a day, everyday for these 65 days during the lockdown.

it will be weird to finally play someone in person when my bar opens up.