Good beginner cue brand and price?

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So What is a good beginner pool cue brand and price? If it is too difficult to give me one brand and price give me a range please.

Thanks

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Schmelke

While Players cues are fine you might want to consider a Schmelke cue. While fairly priced they make a fine cue. There are even custom options if you so desire, Many of the blanks used by custom makers come from them.

Perhaps most importantly at this time they are Made in the USA!

https://www.schmelkecue.com

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While Players cues are fine you might want to consider a Schmelke cue. While fairly priced they make a fine cue. There are even custom options if you so desire, Many of the blanks used by custom makers come from them.

I used to tout these but my 2yr old sneaky has two warped shafts. They basically said to pound sand because i've had it 2yrs. Bullshit. Wouldn't buy another. Cue was always in a good case and upright. They just don't cure their wood enough. I've had Players and Lucasi's that were over 10yrs old that were still dead straight.

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Players are an awesome first cue. If you are looking for something <$100 than definitely a players. If you have an idea that pool is definitely for you I’d just go ahead and get an intermediately priced cue like a $200 McDermott. We all know how it goes. You buy a cheap cue to learn, but after a few months when you pick up on things you’ll want something nicer and end up getting a more reasonably priced cue in that $200-$300 range. I’d just save the original $100 and go get a $200 McDermott off the bat. Great cues at a price that is not to off from the players brand that will last a long time.

megatron69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get a McDermott cue GS1 series for about $200, IIRC. Solid company, manufacturing, and made in Wisconsin. Good enough quality that you may never need to buy another cue in your life. If you live another 20 years, that's 10 bucks a year.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd take a Lucasi, Players or Elite over a Mcdermott any day, probably in the minority here, although I have never been anything but disappointed with the cues I have bought from Mcdermott

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
McDermott

I haven't played with every cue. I know I started with a McDermott in the 90s and stuck with it for 15 years.

I got my daughter a new McDermott for < $100. Then, after she showed serious interest, I upgraded her to a low deflection shaft. But with a factory shaft they are solid playing cues with an entry level price.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree for a beginner who might not stay with the sport.
I used to know this cat who was a STRONG $$ player. I bet he made 50grand using a Players sneaky. If buying a US product i'd probably get a basic Viking or McD.

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I used to tout these but my 2yr old sneaky has two warped shafts. They basically said to pound sand because i've had it 2yrs. Bullshit. Wouldn't buy another. Cue was always in a good case and upright. They just don't cure their wood enough. I've had Players and Lucasi's that were over 10yrs old that were still dead straight.

That stinks. I've had a different experience though. No issues at all since 2015.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Made my point. I bought my first cue 34 years ago, an entry-level McD (I think they called them "Freshman" back then or something), and it is as straight as it was when I bought it, and the finish where I didn't chip or scuff it is as good as it was when I bought it.

I have numerous friends that have McDs and I've never seen or even heard of any of them having any issues of any kind.

Can't say the same for the Players or Lucasis I've seen.

Entry-level McDs aren't sexy for sure, but they're well made.

Bought my first McD in 92 or 96, bought a few since then, I'd consider the ones I purchased absolute junk. I have hit some that I liked, but sure wasn't the ones I bought new.

If I wanted American, I'd go with Viking any day over them, granted Viking has some of the cheesiest looking inlays out there.

Personally have seen more shit McDs than I have Lucasi or Players combined, of course everyone's mileage will vary.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I agree for a beginner who might not stay with the sport.

ive run out my share of racks with that cue
and it broke great as well, i made 6 balls on a break, it was vnea so i made 5 solids and 1 stripe, and of course no shot on a solid, so they guy im playing said, hey he just made 5 points for me

megatron69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bought my first McD in 92 or 96, bought a few since then, I'd consider the ones I purchased absolute junk. I have hit some that I liked, but sure wasn't the ones I bought new.

If I wanted American, I'd go with Viking any day over them, granted Viking has some of the cheesiest looking inlays out there.

Personally have seen more shit McDs than I have Lucasi or Players combined, of course everyone's mileage will vary.

That's interesting. Something must've changed.

Vikings are decent, at least the ones I've seen, but I haven't owned one in decades. Guess I'll bow out of this thread at this point because I really don't have an economic brand/model I can advocate anymore.

Personally not a fan of either Players or Lucasi, but that's just from a personal standpoint. Never liked how they played for me.

Yeah, I really do love this one that is made with Bocote wood.

https://www.schmelkecue.com/r030-4-prong-bocote.html

If only they had an option for a nice highly figured Birds Eye Maple forearm, then that cue would really look stunning, in my opinion.

They also have a free 3/8x10 joint pin option, which will give the cue a really great soft, but solid hit.

I would choose the Extended Pro taper option, which costs an extra $20.

They also give you an option for a longer cue, up to 62 inches, if you are a really tall player.