Having the discipline to adhear to a PSR.

Bryce1552

Registered
Now i'm a complete beginner I've been playing for about a month and I tend to try and work through Dr.Dave's part 1 billiards exam as practice at times I think it may be a little too challenging for me but It's nice to track my progress albeit slow. One problem I've ran into is really finding the discipline to do my PSR every time I often find myself just falling into shots and shooting and I know that more care should be taken as its a major part but It's really difficult to do especially when I become frustrated. Any recommendations would be welcome for really burning the PSR into your game play. I'm better about it when playing with a friend but during practice sometimes its hard not rush.

Additionally any resources for beginner drills would be greatly appreciated I'm getting to the point where I can run 3-4 on "the line" consistently but most of what I end up focusing on seems far over my head.

Simple concepts like for examples Dr.Daves cut drill for cutting I can often execute at the 7 point line for multiple shots but more complex things like for example the wheel I'm pretty stunted and end up scoring a zero sometimes. My follow and draw cue ball control has improved but its taking time for sure.

deraltefritz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far as PSR is concerned, you will probably get some sound advice from the instructors here.

But allow me to say this: a month isn't a long time, so don't be too critical of your progress.

Practicing a small set of drills over and over again is mentally challenging because one expects to become good at them in much less time than is realistic. Especially when certain necessary technical fundamentals are not established yet. Then, as you describe, we start to rush and not devote our full attention to it, and become frustrated with the outcome as a result.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting to not work on those drills. But only when you're able to apply the necessary focus. If you're not, try some other drill or just play a few racks.
Practice should be enjoyable. Allow yourself to explore the game - there's so much to learn and get a feeling for.

The most unrepetitive drill I can think of is to just randomly throw 2 or 3 balls on the table and try to run out from ball in hand (e.g. https://youtu.be/AgdrAwaaCBU?t=149). Add more balls as you get better. You'll soon start to see patterns and realize where your strengths and weaknesses are.

Also work on cueing in a straight line. This is the fundamental and most difficult thing to get right. Play 10 or 20 straight in shots at the start of each session (rolling, stun, draw, whatever you feel like). Try to keep the cue ball on that line instead of veering to the left or the right.
Don't expect to get that right quickly though. This will be your long term goal. https://www.instagram.com/p/BpwhMeYAPap/

You should also probably take a few lessons while you're still new to the game. Once you've established your technique, bad habits will be much more difficult to groove out.
If you cannot afford a lesson or no instructors are in your area, I suggest to video tape yourself from various angles and post those videos here to get some technical advice.

Last edited:

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Now i'm a complete beginner I've been playing for about a month and I tend to try and work through Dr.Dave's part 1 billiards exam as practice at times I think it may be a little too challenging for me but It's nice to track my progress albeit slow. One problem I've ran into is really finding the discipline to do my PSR every time I often find myself just falling into shots and shooting and I know that more care should be taken as its a major part but It's really difficult to do especially when I become frustrated. Any recommendations would be welcome for really burning the PSR into your game play. I'm better about it when playing with a friend but during practice sometimes its hard not rush.

Additionally any resources for beginner drills would be greatly appreciated I'm getting to the point where I can run 3-4 on "the line" consistently but most of what I end up focusing on seems far over my head.

Simple concepts like for examples Dr.Daves cut drill for cutting I can often execute at the 7 point line for multiple shots but more complex things like for example the wheel I'm pretty stunted and end up scoring a zero sometimes. My follow and draw cue ball control has improved but its taking time for sure.

Do you use a "checkoff point"? A place/time/thought where you give yourself permission to take the final stroke or to reset? It's great when the final stroke is at a near subconscious level "in the zone", but for example, my last "move" is to gaze at the ball with quiet eyes for a couple of seconds--most players think they have that long a checkoff but they don't.

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bryce1552
There are actually three shot routines that all humans must follow.
THINK
SEE
DO

They may run together BUT are seperate.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...and I'll add three words to what Randyg said...The Mother Drills! :thumbup:

IMO, the OP needs to get some good instruction. Look for a professional instructor that uses video analysis...they're the best out there!

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Bryce1552
There are actually three shot routines that all humans must follow.
THINK
SEE
DO

They may run together BUT are seperate.