Corey Deuel Career Highlight Video

hayes1699

Registered
Hot off the press! I just finished Corey's reel - a collection of Nine Ball, Eight Ball, Chinese Eight Ball, Banks, and of course One Pocket. Enjoy and please like/share.

https://youtu.be/CnFfsjMnpaU

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 1.55.13 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 1.55.13 PM.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 897

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Corey Deuel Career Highlight video, abridged edition:

Clip One) Corey makes the greatest draw shot of all time (against Mika Immonen);

Clip Two) Corey blanks Mika in the finals of the 2001 US Open;

Clip Three) Image of sullen, defeated Mika slumping in his chair.

//End Video

Johnson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the best pool highlight video I've seen, did you have the older DCC 10 ball ring game shot when he was straight in and masse'd to get the ball across the table?

hayes1699

Registered
This is the best pool highlight video I've seen, did you have the older DCC 10 ball ring game shot when he was straight in and masse'd to get the ball across the table?

No I missed that would love to see it though. you have a link?

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Hopefully somebody will post up the shot where his OB was in front of the side pocket(no way to avoid a scratch) amd he had to make it in the corner, so instead, he masse's the cue ball to hit the OB straight on to avoid the scratch.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My favorite deuel vid is when he was betting people on how many shots he'd need to make 15 balls.

Spoiler: It was a good bit fewer than 15.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Hot off the press! I just finished Corey's reel - a collection of Nine Ball, Eight Ball, Chinese Eight Ball, Banks, and of course One Pocket. Enjoy and please like/share.

https://youtu.be/CnFfsjMnpaU

Ahhh..awesome video dude.

Corey Deuel is one of my all time favorites, and I guess my real favorite if I had to pick only 1 player to watch. I even named a character after him in a story, Cornelius Duel I called this guy...it’s got a nice ring to it right?

Johnson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No I missed that would love to see it though. you have a link?

It was from an early DCC 10 ball ring game maybe from billiard club and IIRC Parica was in it. BClub has an entire 10 ball ring game in several parts on there youtube but I'm not sure if it's the same one, you'd have to watch to see. It was similar to the jump shot that went up on the rail then came back down but it rolled across the table after that.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Nice job. The BCA hall of fame will come knocking on Corey's door at some point, and you would do Corey a service if you provide this to them, or even to Corey himself, when that day arrives.

Last edited:

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the general consensus about Corey? Did he live up to his potential or is he considered an underachiever? I’m not saying i feel either way, I’m just wondering what the expert view is

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the general consensus about Corey? Did he live up to his potential or is he considered an underachiever? I’m not saying i feel either way, I’m just wondering what the expert view is

Interesting question.

I might argue that he surpassed predictable expectations, with his out of the box approach to the game.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
terrific comp. and vid- thanks for putting it together, and sharing!

corey is a special player. his imagination and execution have earned mention.

thanks again.

edit: was gonna share the link with the man, but realized you put this together for the prince himself- nice!

Last edited:

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cheers for the 'top shelf' highlight reel :thumbup:

Agreed BB...Corey has no lack of magination, super low key nice guy as well.

Interesting question.

I might argue that he surpassed predictable expectations, with his out of the box approach to the game.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Corey also made the spot shot and drew the CB back up past the headstring without hitting a rail on his very first try. Problem is, he hit it so hard the OB came back out of the pocket. DCC 2002 if my memory is correct, cant remember who set the shot up but I was the only other person standing there when it happend.
Jason

This shot is even more impressive than his draw shot in the video

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Very difficult question. His early career was so amazing, with wins at the BCA Open, the All-Japan Championships, the Sands Reno and the US Open by the age of 24. He'd also been a Mosconi Cup MVP by then. For this reason, the expectations were high, perhaps unfairly high.

When the soft break was allowed, Corey probably was the world's most effective breaker at nine ball, but the soft break was banned by about 2003 and, once deprived of it, his fortunes changed a bit for the worse. It must be further noted that this was about when the level of international pool skyrocketed, with the talent pools in both Europe and Asia growing dramatically. The major titles weren't very numerous for Corey after all this, though he still had occasional moments of incomparable mastery. Major titles have largely eluded him over the past decade, in particular.

All of that said, though, Corey won both the One Pocket and Bank Pool titles at Derby City, two supertough events to win, so his credentials as an all around talent are beyond doubt.

Did Deuel live up to the expectations or potential that we all saw from 2000-05? I'd say no, but he's had a great career, and a Hall of Fame career at that. He'll, quite sensibly, be remembered as one of the greats.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very difficult question. His early career was so amazing, with wins at the BCA Open, the All-Japan Championships, the Sands Reno and the US Open by the age of 24. He'd also been a Mosconi Cup MVP by then. For this reason, the expectations were high, perhaps unfairly high.

When the soft break was allowed, Corey probably was the world's most effective breaker at nine ball, but the soft break was banned by about 2003 and, once deprived of it, his fortunes changed a bit for the worse. It must be further noted that this was about when the level of international pool skyrocketed, with the talent pools in both Europe and Asia growing dramatically. The major titles weren't very numerous for Corey after all this, though he still had occasional moments of incomparable mastery. Major titles have largely eluded him over the past decade, in particular.

All of that said, though, Corey won both the One Pocket and Bank Pool titles at Derby City, two supertough events to win, so his credentials as an all around talent are beyond doubt.

Did Deuel live up to the expectations or potential that we all saw from 2000-05? I'd say no, but he's had a great career, and a Hall of Fame career at that. He'll, quite sensibly, be remembered as one of the greats.

Thanks for explaining your views with evidence.

When I first got into pool in the early-2000s I know he was viewed as one of the top players in the world. I was very surprised when Shane drilled him in a TAR match I think in 2007.

I know he still plays great, but was just wondering about the overall views on him. I know for a time that people thought he played too much golf and that it was negatively impacting his pool game.

One last thought about Corey- a match was posted a while back on youtube in which he was gambling with Shane at bar table 8 ball around 2008. I've never seen anybody shoot bar table 8 ball better than Corey did in that match. He must have broke and ran around 75% of the time. Amazing!

RailBanger

Registered
They're all good shots but that kick at 2:48 blew my mind.

One shot I didn't see in the video is this one, an interesting position shot. I practice it sometimes but haven't mastered it yet.