Pool Etiquette Question:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Mgmt and employee have since stepped away from the guys table and into another room as I replace the house cues and BIG guy said the previous, which caused me to step out to the counter area, and tell the employee about the 2nd placing of the bottle onto the bed of the table ( also bathroom )

Then what happened
Was he removed from the pool room or......

boosaboos

Registered
This happened the other night, I was playing with my buddy, and a group of guys started playing on the table next to us, they placed their coca cola cans on the pool table, and I kindly told them to take them off the table.
Which they did, and I guess they assumed I worked there.

Here's the kicker (I play with baby powder, not a lot but just enough so my hands aren't clammy) The one dude comes up to my area and grabs my baby powder and uses it without asking me.
I told him "What are you doing? That's mine." He walked away and I left it at that.

Some people just have no manners.

"T"

Son of Da Poet
Silver Member
I'm certainly not a room owner, but if I was, I would prefer not to have one customer dealing with another customer's bs. A casual mention to the house is probably all that is needed.

As a nearby player, I would prefer to simply whack the a$$hole with a house cue, but again, it might be better in the long run to let the house handle it.

Matt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it's a new league player, I'll let them know that it's bad etiquette and could ruin the equipment we all have to play on. Anyone else, I casually mention it to the manager so they can go say something. In either case, there's no reason to make a big show of it; that's just asking for resistance. If someone has a drink on the table, they either don't know any better or are deliberately violating the rules, so starting the conversation by calling them out in front of everyone else doesn't help in either case.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
A question for the Pool Community when playing pool anywhere:

If you see someone put their drink on a pool table,
do you kindly ask them not to put their drinks on the table?

I do.

No, I don't work there.
Do I need to be an employee to make someone mindful to do the right thing or should I
"mind my own business"?

Believe it or not, at a tournament some years back a PRO put a full beer bottle on a newly clothed table. Nobody said a word.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I do.

No, I don't work there.
Do I need to be an employee to make someone mindful to do the right thing or should I
"mind my own business"?

Every f'ing time. If you're cool about it and treat it as a learning moment it's generally received well.

I've been watching Nole games with the same guys in a buddy's garage that has a POS bar box for a long time. Every one of those guys know not to sit on a rail or put a drink on the table. So now when someone new shows up and sets a drink down they all jump up to set em straight.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn't say anything even though I would want to. The most I would do is to tip off the management. If they don't address it, then it's their problem if it spills.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I do.

No, I don't work there.
"mind my own business"?

Yes, I do tell them. Only flipped off and threatened once :eek:

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The thing is-

I wouldn't say anything even though I would want to. The most I would do is to tip off the management. If they don't address it, then it's their problem if it spills.

Management and employee WERE standing there! (looking at their phones)

Only 2 tables going, mine and the Big Guy's, at closing time 2:00 am, nobody else there.

I said something and only then did Mgmt and employee, look up from their phones,
notice and concur.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless the table is mine I mind my own business. Some people out there are just looking for an excuse to flip out on someone.There are usually a lot of folks like that in and around bars and pool halls, especially late at night. Their reaction could ruin your night unlike a beer sitting on a table you aren't even playing on!

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Absolutely

Unless the table is mine I mind my own business. Some people out there are just looking for an excuse to flip out on someone.There are usually a lot of folks like that in and around bars and pool halls, especially late at night. Their reaction could ruin your night unlike a beer sitting on a table you aren't even playing on!

Uh yeah! Management can handle that!

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I say something. I also ask people not to sit on rails if I see that, too. I am always respectful. But I play on those tables.

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
What if a massive tattooed person, face tats, lays his cigar on the rail

I seen it at slick Willie's

<snip>

I'm a 6'5", 300 pounder who put my way through college as a bouncer.

I say something. I say it incredibly politely.

The cigar or drink would be moved. Quickly.

Because when a man of my size and obvious strength asks a person very politely to do something, the person tends to do it. It's almost like I'm asking nicely to give that person a way to comply with my request without looking like they're cowering a little bit, and they appreciate that by acquiescing.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Depends on the poolhall and if the staff cares or not. I usually go with a friendly warning. Hey Buddy, don't let the staff catch you with a drink on the rail, if you spill it you're going end up paying for more than table time.

swellone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a tough spot because guys get upset & this can start a fight. I've had a situation with some clown. It was an out of town group of guys. They were watching us play & one guy puts his beer in the middle of the table- not even on the rail. I said something & he went off about 30 min later. He said "where I'm from people get shot for not minding their business". My response at the time "well I have my gun here & most of the guys here now are also packing (legally) & you're not home so be careful with the reckless talk". His buddies walked him out & apologized for his behavior.
In my "home" pool room I'll say something or alert staff. Away, I'll alert staff. If no one says anything & the tables are crappy, just remember you'll now have to shoot on crap tables.