2018 WPA World 9 Ball

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Championship starts this Friday:

Main Event ( Stage 2 ) Group Round 14th till 16th December 2018 (3 Days)
Final Round by 64 players 17th, 19th & 20th December, 2018 ( 3 Days)

All they have listed so far for tv coverage is Al Kass TV Qatar.

I'm curious who got offered one of the 6 BCA allocated spots before all 6 were accepted (https://bca-pool.com/page/109 ?). SVB should be one as he isn't in the "top 24" WPA list for automatic placing.

The trumpet valve oil guy has a TV station?

03399abe-7d57-4cd8-a4c9-3acc89e697e7_1.6ca6cdb73acd9eb8f0429d97acf20b1e.jpeg

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
From the 1st qualifier on Dec. 10, 4 players made it through to Stage 2:

Ko Ping Han
Rludoslaw Babica
Tomoya Iima
Takano Tomoo

Is this the 3rd Ko brother, or is he unrelated to Pin-Yi and Ping-Chung?

Looks like Tomoo is playing well again after his big win 2 weeks ago.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think some people prefer not to go to Qatar for personal reasons. I know I have no interest in visiting there.

me neither. and to think about that they also bought the biggest sport event in the world, Fifa WC, is a joke. i know noone who wants to go there

they stuff a lot of money in a lot of pockets so they can have all sorts of sports representation, in order to legitimize their regime. i think they have a contract with WPA for several years onward, at least that's what they said last year.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From the 1st qualifier on Dec. 10, 4 players made it through to Stage 2:

Ko Ping Han
Rludoslaw Babica
Tomoya Iima
Takano Tomoo

Is this the 3rd Ko brother, or is he unrelated to Pin-Yi and Ping-Chung?

Looks like Tomoo is playing well again after his big win 2 weeks ago.

Looks like day 2 is complete with the next 4 qualifying:

Robbie Capito
Ruslan Chinakhov
Akagariyama Yukio
Toh Lian Han

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is a damn shame how they are mistreating the most important individual event in pool.

I thought the US Open was the most important individual event in pool.

As for Qatar, why do people seem to have a problem with the country? I don't follow much politics over there. Is it political?

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

As for Qatar, why do people seem to have a problem with the country? I don't follow much politics over there. Is it political?

it is an islamist dictatorship with a history of sponsoring terrorism and treating women poorly

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
The whole "Arabic world" has cut ties with Qatar and there was a Saudi invasion plan for Qatar in 2017 which was cancelled. More info here: https://theintercept.com/2018/08/01/rex-tillerson-qatar-saudi-uae/
So the situation in Qatar has not been politically stable,don't blame players not wanting to go there.

Esnooker -site has been used for reporting amateur snooker events. I don't think they have had pool there earlier. The site still looks like from 10 years ago and there is no live scoring and so far streaming has been through a weird youtube channel. Everything looks cheap and there is no promo work done. I think last year WPA made a deal for several years to come for WC in Qatar so Matchroom interfering is unlikely. The quality of the event has been going down every year. I guess the deal is pretty lucrative for the WPA...

july9x

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's really terrible, imo.

I wonder if a boycott would have any effect.

Makes me remembering the good old days where countries are competing to host the event, great for pool, great for the host, mainly because it was aired on ESPN world wide (?) and ESPN Asia for sure.

5Fme7mV.png

from 2010 till now it was held in Qatar and kinda faded.

Last edited:

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
Makes me remembering the good old days where countries are competing to host the event, great for pool, great for the host, mainly because it was aired on ESPN world wide (?) and ESPN Asia for sure.

5Fme7mV.png

from 2010 till now it was held in Qatar and kinda faded.

I still remember each final match details with the Matchroom event. Great events done in the most entertaining way with the best players in the world. Doha events are played in big and empty halls without any proper world championship atmosphere.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
As long as it is stuck in Qatar with seemingly no promotion or publicity even within the small pool world it's increasingly hard to argue it's the nost important individual event and title to win. Maybe it will be again one day, but for now the US Open and in 2018 The International are considered the "de facto" world titles in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You probably should just do a internet search to answer that. Short version? Its a Certified Sharia S^*thole. Why anyone would go there is beyond me.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like the final four qualifiers are in:

Meshaal Al Murdhi
Marlon Manalo
Chang Yu Lung
Hsu Jui An