Survey: Most and least favorite pro-players to watch.

inside_english

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My faves would be (in no particular order)

Efren Reyes - stylish, brilliant
Ralf Souquet - near-perfect fundamentals
Earl Strickland - purely for entertainment value, the "John McEnroe" of pool, IMO. There's no telling what he may say or do at any given moment.
Keith McCready - fast and loose...he makes it fun with his style of play and commentary.

Least favorite:

Johnny Archer - Brilliant? Yes. Consistent? Yes. A Champion? Without a doubt...but when he starts picking imaginary lint off the cloth it drives me bonkers!

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lint?

inside_english said:

Earl Strickland - purely for entertainment value, the "John McEnroe" of pool, IMO. There's no telling what he may say or do at any given moment.
Keith McCready - fast and loose...he makes it fun with his style of play and commentary.

Least favorite:

Johnny Archer - Brilliant? Yes. Consistent? Yes. A Champion? Without a doubt...but when he starts picking imaginary lint off the cloth it drives me bonkers!
That's not lint. It's the tiny, tiny people called Balalterers. Those little fellas hang around and pick their favorite player in a match, and then make it tough for other players. He is like watching a machine, though. What really sucks is to draw him first round and turn on the machine.

Worminator

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Most: Efren playing 1P...for obvious reasons
Cliff Joyner playing 1P...I love his intensity
Danny Harriman playing banks...I believe it is his best game
John Brumback playing banks...smooth as silk lefty

Least: Mike Davis...I cannot watch his stroke.

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Slow players drive me nuts,

Keith is fun in real life,

Earl gets me pumped up-when he plays pool and is focused like he did in the 80's,

SVB makes me have faith in the future,

Efren playing 1P amazes me, with shots like I havent ever seen before, again and again and again....

And my most favorite of all time is watching Jay Helfert rack the balls for me. Believe me it feels good to beat him.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Favorite, Efren and Busta.
Least (CSPAN speed ) Nick Varner, Jimmy Reid, RS, Marcus Chamat and Kid Slowlicious.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Favorite, Efren and Busta. Kim Davenport, Ernesto Dominguez and Buddy Hall.
Least (CSPAN speed ) Nick Varner, Jimmy Reid, RS, Marcus Chamat and Kid Slowlicious.

Last edited:

JustPlay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike Sigel -straight pool and 9-ball, entertainment and great play

Earl Strickland- 9-ball (flawless shotmaking! )and blowing up during a match

Buddy Hall- 9-ball Smooth play and I am always learning something new

Nick Varner 9-ball heart and determination

90's Version of Johnny Archer No stalling, no lint, no 3 minute pre shot
routines, Just plain run-out pool 9b and Str8

Ralf Souquet- straight pool and 9-ball.

Least favorite to watch- Trick shot magic and most (not all) women pro pool ( well at least the audience stopped clapping after every shot!)
Steve Mizerak- Straight pool, by the book (author), smooth, right amount of humor, style!

Jim Rempe- Straight pool- fierce competitor, determined, Great attitude...

LEAST favorite to watch- All Trick shot Magic and most (not all) pro women's pool ( at least the audience has stopped clapping after every shot!).

Last edited:

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Favs....
14.1-Sigel, Miz, Dallas West
9ball/10ball-SVB, any Filipino
1pocket-Efren, Scott Frost, Ronnie Alen

Unfavs-me on video....ewww!

Gerry

StormHotRod300

BigSexy
Silver Member
Favs: Efren,Alex P, Bustamante just cuz i like thier style of play.

Charlie Bryant: expecially when he lets his break come out n play :)

Allen Hopkins: I dont think theres anything that stands out about him but he plays the game so technically sound that he makes it look easy.

Ralf Souquet, cuz he is a master at making the game look easy with his CB control.

Guys I dont like:

Earl: well I cant say I dont like to watch him but, its mainly when he throws a fit like a lil girl who got her candy taken away. But its always entertaining.

Corey Deuel: I'm not sure why but just not someone I like to watch play.

Allison Fisher: to blaaaa and its kinda boring to watch her play.

jnav447

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Favorites: Efren (1 pocket); Ga Yung Kim (I'm in love); Charley "Hillbilly" Bryant (bank pool), capable of spectacular shots; Earl - you might see an awesome barrage or you might see a meltdown, or both; Mike Massey - does things that probably no one else has ever been able to do on a pool table (capable of a LOT of stuff that you won't see on the Trick Shot Magic garbage on ESPN).
Least favorite: none. I like to watch and have enormous respect for all of the pros.

worriedbeef

The Voice of Reason
Silver Member
EARL STRICKLAND. when he's on, he is a thing of beauty. the most inspiring player to watch. a living legend i would give anything for him to find his game again and sort his head out.

MIKE SIGEL. i love watching him, he's extremely consistent. ballsy as well - goes for everything, and he doesn't miss! really unique and nice stroke as well, and always punched those balls into the pockets with conviction.

BUSTAMANTE - what a stroke lol. i just love watching his silky smooth cueing.

and BUDDY HALL - his stroke is one of the most beautiful things i have ever seen. and he plays nine ball text book. wonderful to watch.

cyrex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pros/Cons

9Ball: My least favorite to watch is Souquet. He's so technically perfect it's borderline boring. Oh, and he's also my most favorite to watch for the same reasons.

Manolo is another incredible player to watch. I saw him and Chohan playing up in Reno after hours and it was awesome. Wherever he puts his finger is exactly where the CB will go. (He drilled Chohan giving him the 8)

1p: I'd have to go with Billy Palmer. Big dude, but with a delicate flow to his stroke. Super nice guy off the playing field too.

CaptiveBred

C21H30O2
Silver Member
Favorites are the hot women, of course... Especially those atractive Asian players that have surfaced :)

Least favorite is anybody shortstop level or below... One particular tour comes to mind ;)

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lou boutera-looks so determined
grady mathews-great paterns
mike zugland-makes every rack look like there's nothing on the table but hangers
Monica Webb-looks like she's got a lot of heart

and
Pat Fleming. i have a tape of him playing straight pool and he plays that game like i wish i could play every game. balls to the wall really agressive

CollinV

Registered
inside_english said:

Least favorite:

I remember reading somwhere, when Archer was commenting on his methodical and meticulous rack checking, that it was possible for balls in a rack to be touching but not frozen. ?? Is this possible?

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
CollinV said:
I remember reading somwhere, when Archer was commenting on his methodical and meticulous rack checking, that it was possible for balls in a rack to be touching but not frozen. ?? Is this possible?
I believe Buddy Hall said that to Johnny after Johnny mechanized the rack.
I know one local sick smelly little midget who makes sure the balls are wet from his palms when he racks.

Krypto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get Real, Ga Young is "It"

Ga Young Kim - Why? The Little Devil girl is oh-so intense, recklessly confident, and just plain damn super sexy. Sorry guys, but even Efren can't top that.