Mosconi Cup Team USA Party before Blackpool

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
Amazing event so glad I got too be there think USA is gonna bring it home this year :grin:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I think having a little fun before flying to Europe was a great idea.

Safe travels and good luck to all members of Team USA!

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was a great turn out last night from the greater St. Louis pool community and the joint was filled to the rafters. The set up was very nice and Mark's stepson, a professional DJ, kept things moving and the energy up, while Cathy Wilson and additional volunteers kept things moving with games and raffles. A lot of money was raised to support the team. Way to go STL.

The play of the team members was stellar and the Euros are going to have their hands full. SVB, was of course, amazing. And Justin Bergman is completely dialed in. John Schmidt looked real solid. Justin Hall appeared to be in dead stroke. Corey Deuel was also hitting them well, though I wish he'd tone down some of the exotic stuff. But then again, its Corey we're talking about.

And then there was Nick Varner, cycling through matches with the team members. Nick was pretty amazing. Twice early on, he effortlessly laid down a couple of amazing shots that reflected his knowledge, experience, and touch. One was a back cut to a side pocket that sent the CB three rails to come up perfectly, a diamond's distance, from a three ball sitting on the long rail. Anther came after his opponent played a safe and Nick just walked up and shot at the OB caroming it off another ball to hide it. Really elegant and beautiful.

I had the chance to say hello to a number of folks I know here locally, as well as to vice captains Don Wardell and Amir Pishdad. I was also able to personally wish good luck luck to Justin Bergman and my good buddy John Schmidt.

I also got a chance to speak to captain Mark Wilson. We talked about a number of things, some of which he referred to as "locker room talk," that he asked me not to share. But one thing was clear to me: since January, when he got the call from Matchroom to be the MC captain, Mark has worked tirelessly, *every single day,* to put the team together and do whatever it takes to win at Blackpool. I joked with Mark that he had visibly aged since I last saw him at the DCC and he said that he sees it too when he looks in the mirror.

In all honesty, I don't believe we have ever seen anything in American pool that remotely comes close to this kind of team building effort. Mark and the lads deserve our support and respect.

Go USA.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
I think having a little fun before flying to Europe was a great idea.

Safe travels and good luck to all members of Team USA!

Stu,
This week was about work, sacrifice, charity contributions, and promoting the sport. The players endured hard work, endless hours of driving, and LONG days with irregular meals. While we try to have fun; these guys are laying it down for the sport, not just for themselves. They have my admiration

The quality of play was high in my opinion; and over a 5 hour competition before a large and rabid crowd (including mostly singles and one doubles match) John Schmidt edged out Shane for first place. I wish you could have been there; or in Decatur to see the crowd and the kids in the clinic who were the enthusiastic beneficiaries of the hard work.....there really hasn't been anything remotely like this in pool for a very long time. Tremendous crowd support and enthusiasm...very unlike the crowd at every other event I have ever attended.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
I cannot begin to relate how impressed I am with this Mosconi Cup team. No other Cup team in our history has worked as hard all year long to prepare as has this team.

Special thanks and congratulations go to Mark Wilson for all the leadership, strategy development, activities and plain hard work he has brought this year. Simply amazing and very much appreciated.

The team is well prepared, heads on straight, eyes wide open and fully ready for the raucous event that lies ahead shortly.

I wish them all the very best of luck and know before they even go that they will represent us in stellar fashion with utmost integrity.

Go USA!

Will Prout

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Stu,
This week was about work, sacrifice, charity contributions, and promoting the sport. The players endured hard work, endless hours of driving, and LONG days with irregular meals. While we try to have fun; these guys are laying it down for the sport, not just for themselves. They have my admiration

The quality of play was high in my opinion; and over a 5 hour competition before a large and rabid crowd (including mostly singles and one doubles match) John Schmidt edged out Shane for first place. I wish you could have been there; or in Decatur to see the crowd and the kids in the clinic who were the enthusiastic beneficiaries of the hard work.....there really hasn't been anything remotely like this in pool for a very long time. Tremendous crowd support and enthusiasm...very unlike the crowd at every other event I have ever attended.

I would have loved to have been there, Don. I'm glad to hear that everybody's level of commitment is high and that the team is ready and enthused for battle.

Wishing you, Mark, and all members of Team USA a happy Thanksgiving.

December 1 ---- it's almost here. Don't let those 3:45 PM sunsets in Blackpool get you down.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Capture.JPG

Capturev.JPG...........................

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
It was a great turn out last night from the greater St. Louis pool community and the joint was filled to the rafters. The set up was very nice and Mark's stepson, a professional DJ, kept things moving and the energy up, while Cathy Wilson and additional volunteers kept things moving with games and raffles. A lot of money was raised to support the team. Way to go STL.

The play of the team members was stellar and the Euros are going to have their hands full. SVB, was of course, amazing. And Justin Bergman is completely dialed in. John Schmidt looked real solid. Justin Hall appeared to be in dead stroke. Corey Deuel was also hitting them well, though I wish he'd tone down some of the exotic stuff. But then again, its Corey we're talking about.

And then there was Nick Varner, cycling through matches with the team members. Nick was pretty amazing. Twice early on, he effortlessly laid down a couple of amazing shots that reflected his knowledge, experience, and touch. One was a back cut to a side pocket that sent the CB three rails to come up perfectly, a diamond's distance, from a three ball sitting on the long rail. Anther came after his opponent played a safe and Nick just walked up and shot at the OB caroming it off another ball to hide it. Really elegant and beautiful.

I had the chance to say hello to a number of folks I know here locally, as well as to vice captains Don Wardell and Amir Pishdad. I was also able to personally wish good luck luck to Justin Bergman and my good buddy John Schmidt.

I also got a chance to speak to captain Mark Wilson. We talked about a number of things, some of which he referred to as "locker room talk," that he asked me not to share. But one thing was clear to me: since January, when he got the call from Matchroom to be the MC captain, Mark has worked tirelessly, *every single day,* to put the team together and do whatever it takes to win at Blackpool. I joked with Mark that he had visibly aged since I last saw him at the DCC and he said that he sees it too when he looks in the mirror.

In all honesty, I don't believe we have ever seen anything in American pool that remotely comes close to this kind of team building effort. Mark and the lads deserve our support and respect.

Go USA.

Lou Figueroa

You changed your tune here. Good for you!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Stu,

Thanks Don, very telling that John Schmidt finished first. I guess he's got some grease back in that right arm of his. All in all a good sendoff for Team USA.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I cannot begin to relate how impressed I am with this Mosconi Cup team. No other Cup team in our history has worked as hard all year long to prepare as has this team.

Special thanks and congratulations go to Mark Wilson for all the leadership, strategy development, activities and plain hard work he has brought this year. Simply amazing and very much appreciated.

The team is well prepared, heads on straight, eyes wide open and fully ready for the raucous event that lies ahead shortly.

I wish them all the very best of luck and know before they even go that they will represent us in stellar fashion with utmost integrity.

Go USA!

Will Prout

Thanks for this report Will. Pretty much the same thing that Mark shared with me on the phone.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You changed your tune here. Good for you!

I haven't changed any tune.

I am all for what MW & Co are trying to accomplish, as opposed to your apologist stance for the three guys that bailed. They're trying for a *team* concept. Get a clue, buy a vowel.

Lou Figueroa

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I haven't changed any tune.

I am all for what MW & Co are trying to accomplish, as opposed to your apologist stance for the three guys that bailed. They're trying for a *team* concept. Get a clue, buy a vowel.

Lou Figueroa

You're a sad and miserable person Lou. You just can't let it go, continuing to blame these three young men for a decision they made that has absolutely no effect on you.