WPA Rules For Transgenders

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Anyone know if a transgender can play against women? I couldn't find any rule for it. Johnnyt

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I don't know, Johnny, but I had a transmission, once, that didn't know whether to go from second to third. :)

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it's a legit question, as some of these women's tournaments have huge purses. Johnnyt

Very well be an honest question . When I first read your response I thought it read : some of these women's tournaments have big packages...... anyway I'm Def gonna leave this one alone - good luck my friend.

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
It would seem to me, given similar issues that have come up out there, the WPBA would find itself ripe for a massive lawsuit if it didn't "accommodate" any player who met all their other criteria for play simply because of the anatomical factors. The rule seems to be the world, or at least everyone in the US, needs to go with whatever gender someone identifies themselves as being.

This means anyone who identifies themselves as a female, regardless of whether or not their transition includes or falls short of gender reassignment surgery, must be treated as a woman.

-Z-

Rhea

Retired Road Player
Silver Member
It would seem to me, given similar issues that have come up out there, the WPBA would find itself ripe for a massive lawsuit if it didn't "accommodate" any player who met all their other criteria for play simply because of the anatomical factors. The rule seems to be the world, or at least everyone in the US, needs to go with whatever gender someone identifies themselves as being.

This means anyone who identifies themselves as a female, regardless of whether or not their transition includes or falls short of gender reassignment surgery, must be treated as a woman.

-Z-

This is not the case, you must chemically have the same hormone levels as a female. And your male hormones must be as low as a females. You cannot simply just consider yourself female. You must actually make yourself female chemically. Which effects both the body and the brain and must be on a continuous basis. The rules are on page 13 and 14 found here: http://www.wpba.com/images/pdfs/WPBA_Player_Policy_Handbook_2015.pdf

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
This is not the case, you must chemically have the same hormone levels as a female. And your male hormones must be as low as a females. You cannot simply just consider yourself female. You must actually make yourself female chemically. Which effects both the body and the brain and must be on a continuous basis. The rules are on page 13 and 14 found here: http://www.wpba.com/images/pdfs/WPBA_Player_Policy_Handbook_2015.pdf

Hi Rhea, thank you for sharing the rules on this. Just to clarify, I wasn't speaking to WPBA policy, rather the "litmus test" that seems to be the defacto determinant used by everyone else. I'm not taking a right/wrong position, I was just sharing what I've seen. Thanx again for sharing the rules. -Z-

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It will be interesting to see if this and other sports have to change these kinds of criteria, in light of the big jump in the position of transgenderism in the cultural wars. We are certainly not going to be measuring hormone levels to determine what bathroom people use. What those rules reflect is an understanding of transgenderism that is "old-fashioned" since the current criteria seems to center more on the psychological aspects of it than the physical. Will sports be socially pressured to adopt a more psychological view? It seems likely.

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
It will be interesting to see if this and other sports have to change these kinds of criteria, in light of the big jump in the position of transgenderism in the cultural wars. We are certainly not going to be measuring hormone levels to determine what bathroom people use. What those rules reflect is an understanding of transgenderism that is "old-fashioned" since the current criteria seems to center more on the psychological aspects of it than the physical. Will sports be socially pressured to adopt a more psychological view? It seems likely.

Mic drop! Perfect response. I wish I could be that articulate ;) .

Rhea

Retired Road Player
Silver Member

I actually like the rules that are currently in place, they are extremely fair. They will keep someone from basically just changing their attire and playing in whatever event they want. Declaration is not enough, you should have documentation, and you should have hormonal change on a minimum.