Who thinks earl called the 2

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree no way he playing the Carom there that fast. This is killing pool faster and faster in public eye. Cause every player not just pros who watch this try to find way to let dumb rules that have nothing to do with shooting work to their advantage.

I was in tourney recently and had this happen to me.

I just finished my shot. Other guy comes to table. He has a,25 dollar piece kamui chalk. He chalks his cue up and sets it down drops chalk on floor. He was still walking around the table not even close to the cue ball when I went over kindly picked up his chalk sat it on table for him. He called foul on me said I can't touch table while it is his turn. Are u kidding me I try help guy out so he don't break his 25 piece of chalk and he fouls me for it. What is this sport coming to it use to be gentleman's game but not anymore.

If a good lawyer becomes a pro shooter pool world better watch out he will never lose haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
But that is not really comparable to the situation between Jayson and Earl.
It's call all shots game, and the player waiting his turn has no obligation to tell his opponent if he is calling the wrong ball or shooting the wrong ball.
The best camparison is chess, if your opponent moves his springer to a new position, but has second thoughts and chooses anoter move instead, all the while holding on to the springer, that's fine but if he moves the springer, takes his hand off the springer, and then decides to reposition his springer, well that's a fault.

But there is no doubt that pool is suffering from not having standarized rules and that all pro matches should have a referee present at all time.

smoooothstroke

JerLaw
Silver Member
Clearly Earl misspoke.He did call the 2 but was obviously intending the 10 ball.

In my opinion Shaw should have let it go. I don't blame Strickland for the fib there as I think I would have done the same.If I were in Jaysens shoes (I hope) I would be able to laugh it off and maybe give the old guy some crap about it later.

HoldemRw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But that is not really comparable to the situation between Jayson and Earl.
It's call all shots game, and the player waiting his turn has no obligation to tell his opponent if he is calling the wrong ball or shooting the wrong ball.
The best camparison is chess, if your opponent moves his springer to a new position, but has second thoughts and chooses anoter move instead, all the while holding on to the springer, that's fine but if he moves the springer, takes his hand off the springer, and then decides to reposition his springer, well that's a fault.

But there is no doubt that pool is suffering from not having standarized rules and that all pro matches should have a referee present at all time.
Yes sir I agree wasn't trying compare the two I was just saying dumb rules ruin the game sometimes or I should say dumb players. But I bet there are over 50 shots in that match neither person called a ball cause it was known what they were going for. But yet no fouls called there. Also earl left seat sat across room also against rules never called by Jayson. During video I seen I never once seen earl line up the 2 ball he was always lining up the 10. U could even see Jayson on edge of his,seat waiting to try win match on a technicality which to me is sick. I thought these tourneys were to see who the best in world is. Not who knows the rules the best.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Delaware Lar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My opinion is that Charlie Williams should have a referee -- ONE REFEREE -- at every single table in the semifinals.

Agreed... with the referee calling the shots and counting the run... like the old days.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Earl

I watch a match where earl did a foul and the ref missed it.
Earl gave the ref a funny look like your still going to let him shoot.
I think he told the ref he fouled and didn't make any difference .

He was shaking his head like he knew it wasn't right. when he missed his next shot .

I believe that happened in Germany and he was playing a Asian man .
2005 - 2006

The ref was standing directly behind Earl and Earl wasn't trying to cheat anyone then.

pocketspeed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i cant believe the number of threads or posts this has generated (oh ok I can believe it). I cant help but wonder if there would be the same level of debate and outrage if a another player (say SVB for instance) was involved or if it wasn't a CW event...

brian

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Earl initially joked that Efren would play the carom, I think that was in his mind when he mistakenly called the 2 ball.

I'm sure you can interpret the rules in Jaysons favour, but it would be very sportsmanlike imo. The intention of call shot is to reduce luck, the intended ball went in the pocket and that's good enough for me.

But for a 'world' straight pool event, i can only echo what others have mentioned. Why wasn't the referee calling the score and the balls?

If this was on the snooker tour Jayson would incur a heavy fine for the forfeit and throwing the balls.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here are the pertinent official WPA 14.1 rules (note it sites rule in 1.6, which I will add as well). Although I am not big Earl fan and initially was siding with JS because Earl clearly "called" the 2 ball, after reviewing these rules I believe the TD made right call siding w/Earl as the intent of the shot was also clear.

And, I too believe Charlie's tournaments NOT to be World Championships, this was manufactured by Charlie and Dragon Promotions (but it's still a good tourney).

4.5 Shots Required to Be Called
Shots must be called as explained in 1.6 Standard Call Shot. The shooter may call “safety” in which case play passes to the opponent at the end of the shot and any object ball pocketed on the safety is spotted.

1.6 Standard Call Shot
In games in which the shooter is required to call shots, the intended ball and pocket must be indicated for each shot if they are not obvious. Details of the shot, such as cushions struck or other balls contacted or pocketed are irrelevant. Only one ball may be called on each shot.

For a called shot to count, the referee must be satisfied that the intended shot was made, so if there is any chance of confusion, e.g. with bank, combination and similar shots, the shooter should indicate the ball and pocket. If the referee or opponent is unsure of the shot to be played, he may ask for a call.

In call shot games, the shooter may choose to call “safety” instead of a ball and pocket, and then play passes to the opponent at the end of the shot. Whether balls are being spotted after safeties depends on the rules of the particular game.

It sounds like there were many unsportsmanship actions throughout the match by both players, but because I did not see any videos on those antics as I did for the shot in question, no comment. :) I just wanted to share the "official" rules for all that were questioning Wedge quoted off the FB page. Of course, Charlie has been known to make things up as he goes.

Dave

brooklynplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this might come off as a strange post, but here goes anyways:

If all of the craziness of yesterday means that moving forward, there will be a ref calling shots in the finals (and hopefully semis) of this event, then hopefully we can look back on this a good thing. This is the first reff'ed match Ive seen since its been running for a few years now.

Charlie wraps himself in the history of the World 14.1 at any chance yet has run the even lately as if it is a league match basically.

I know its hard to get refs and ppl available to do (and money) but things got heated because both players wanted to get into the finals on this event - that's my "positive take" on the situation and Im trying to stick to it.

Given the players desire to win this event, hopefully moving forward, it will be run in a serious manner that gives the best player of the week to get the best chance at winning the title.

Delaware Lar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Delaware Larry, how are you hitting 'em? All the rooms have closed around here.

I've been playing at the senior center. I'm starting to play at Triple Nines in Laurel. Parks gives me 10-5 for $3/game. Drug Fair (AKA David Aaron) had a mild stroke and now lives in a group home near Triple Nines.

GreenFeltguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Obvious what ball

Earl Strickland is a legend and was so before Jason Shaw was born, he does not have to shit a ball in playing straight pool, watch the video he even points the ten at the pocket

ChicagoJay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I seen one of the few videos floating around fb, the point is this we all new which ball Earl was going for. That being said if Earl did call the 2 ball and pocketed the only ball that made sense which was not the two, the rules stated you must call your shot. Now if he said 2 I dont blame Shaw for coming out and trying to get the edge or the table rules are rules. Did Shaw over react, yeah I guess so, but he did say Earl did that before in the tourney. There should of been a ref for sure you got two big names going at it WTF a ref should have been present. Now in the video I seen I did not hear Earl call the two. But it is very hard for me to believe Shaw just jumped in and said stop to pull a fast one. So even though everyone including the commentators and Shaw himself knew what Earl was shooting at, if Earl called it wrong it was Shaws table according to the rules. Touney, Money etc.. on the line? Can you really blame someone trying to take advantage of the other players mistake, even if it was a dumb one. A mistake is a mistake.

Ekojasiloop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seriously. Why are people saying Shaw is this great guy lol. Half the time I see him he's throwing some fit, and totally losing his temper because of a loss. When he wins all is ok of course... yeah great guy lol.

Earl called the wrong ball but I'm not sure that this matters when you shoot another ball straight in the hole. Yet another case of Shaw being an idiot.

Grantstew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl is a douchebag and deserves every bit of sharking he gets. If you can't take it, don't dish it

bigsm00th01

JS also took a "technicality" in a match in the world pool masters. Low character in my opinion.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk