Question about McDermott cues with sharp points and veneers. Are they more desirable?

I am curious about McDermott cues that have sharp points and veneers.

Is this something you see very often on McDermott cues?

If you see a sharp pointed Mcdermott (with veneers for example), does that meant that it is an older vintage Mcdermott, or could it have possibly been custom ordered to have sharp points and veneers?

In my experience, they have not had really sharp points in them (most of the ones that I have seen, other then the old C and D series from the 80's).

Is this something that you can ask McDermott to do if custom ordering a McDermott?

Will they make the points and veneers very sharp (on a custom order)?

I am just curious if a sharp pointed Mcdermott (with sharp points and veneers) makes it more valuable and desirable?

Thanks for any thoughts or info about this.

Last edited:

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
The best McDermotts are the ones with rounded points that were made sharp.

And, it's no easy task. DO NOT try this at home. Find an experienced "McDermott Point Sharpener", and save a lot of heartache..... Nothing is worse than damaging your point or worse yet, damaging your veneers. The last thing you want to do is have to replace any veneers, man that's tough work. You have to machine a new slot into the forearm, then try to get that Veener in there without breaking it....Whew, I'm sweatin, just thinking about it.

Highly regarded as the best playing cues ever.

This is easy....next question.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
withdraw comments

i thought it was a serious question

Last edited:
The best McDermotts are the ones with rounded points that were made sharp.

And, it's no easy task. DO NOT try this at home. Find an experienced "McDermott Point Sharpener", and save a lot of heartache..... Nothing is worse than damaging your point or worse yet, damaging your veneers. The last thing you want to do is have to replace any veneers, man that's tough work. You have to machine a new slot into the forearm, then try to get that Veener in there without breaking it....Whew, I'm sweatin, just thinking about it.

Highly regarded as the best playing cues ever.

This is easy....next question.

That is very interesting. I did not know that rounded points could be sharpened. I bet that is is very expensive to have done (I imagine), with the cost of sharpening the points, plus a refinish.

i think they are probably more desirable

some people collect them ,but the main reason to buy one is to play with it

when Jerry Franklin was with me,he asked what i thought about
mc dermott cues.at that time some of the best players in our area,bob van over for example,
and i liked them,jerry said he thought they were a very well made cue

i personally liked the sharp point look and the metal joint,but i can not begin to tell you if they play better or why

the designs never appealed to me or i would probably like them more
i had a real pretty one that i would be happy to play with again

sorry if i have strayed from the question,i would lime to have one
of the early ones to play with,if i were you and found one that hit right for me,i would buy it and enjoy it with no thought to collectibility,knowing champions have played them,the best custom cue maker
in the world praised them and they are good cues

Thanks for your reply. That is interesting. When I 1st started playing, I loved the piloted 5/16x14 joint (Joss cues for example, and any other cues that were made with that same joint). In recent years, I have really began to love the 3/8x10 wood to wood joint (and other wood to wood joints, like the radial pin, and the 3/8x11) much more.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Now I understand that points can be sharpened but what happens if I already have a sharp pointed McDermott but I want them to be more blunt?????

simco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the rounded points, too many splinters from sharp ones.Except the sticky ones of course.

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
MMMMMman.... its like someone fell down 8 flight of stairs holding grandpa's tool box.... what a collection.

Older McDermotts are valued more because they are old... ancient, decrepit, under-sexed, malodorous perverts tend to like the old designs and have more disposable income than young know-it-all whipper-snappers that just plain hit too hard durn it.

But honestly, ANY McDermott is awesome. From the cheapest to the most expensive. All have the same work ethic attached to them. They all will last you decades... a lifetime if you take care of them. A rare thing these days... a product you can rely upon.

I personally think that Cue Sports has quite a few conscientious craftsmen associated with it. Lucky us!

Lesh

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MMMMMman.... its like someone fell down 8 flight of stairs holding grandpa's tool box.... what a collection.

Older McDermotts are valued more because they are old... ancient, decrepit, under-sexed, malodorous perverts tend to like the old designs and have more disposable income than young know-it-all whipper-snappers that just plain hit too hard durn it.

But honestly, ANY McDermott is awesome. From the cheapest to the most expensive. All have the same work ethic attached to them. They all will last you decades... a lifetime if you take care of them. A rare thing these days... a product you can rely upon.

I personally think that Cue Sports has quite a few conscientious craftsmen associated with it. Lucky us!

Lesh

I'm a big fan of the D series. My favorite production cue is my old D19. I've retired it recently with one that I built myself, but the old D series can be had for not much money and I love them.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Now I understand that points can be sharpened but what happens if I already have a sharp pointed McDermott but I want them to be more blunt?????

Just Sharpie the points.

I've seen some of those old pretty sharp pointed McD's.
The fiber ferrules gotta go though.

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
I believe the McDermott cues that have sharp points and veneers were made that way for aiming reasons. Let's discuss aiming with a McDermott sharp point and veneers cue! :bash::deadhorse::banghead::eek:uttahere:

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am curious about McDermott cues that have sharp points and veneers.

I am just curious if a sharp pointed Mcdermott (with sharp points and veneers) makes it more valuable and desirable.

I will answer your questions - To whom?

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I would suggest medical Marijuana. :D