Anyone knows a cue that hits like the pre-dot Meuccis?

Edenneil_james

Registered
Hello everyone, just wondering if anyone knows a cue that hits like a pre dot Meuccis? I regret selling my
Meucci SE III from day one. It was gift to me from my teammate back when I was still living in Phoenix, AZ. Played with it for a few hours then put it back in the case coz I loved my play cue which was a Viking and it sat there for the last 15 yrs until I sold it. Now that im getting back into the game I've already bought 4 cues and still searching for that nice subtle feedback and that "thom" sound I got from that meucci. Haven't tried the red dots coz I just cant spend that cash on it right now. So looking for a more economical value cue. I've recently bought a viking, pechauer, DP and a players hxt and seems like the pechauer was the closest one but still nit close enough. Any replies would be appreciated. Thanks!

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can order a red dot shaft from Budget Billiards for 170 to fit any of those cues you recently bought. First thing is to stop the bleeding buying all of those cheap cues you will never get your money back on.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Edenneil_james

Registered
I realized that after the 4th one. Yes that was 4 cues within 6 weeks! I've also return an SS360 shaft for my pechauer as it wasn't what I was looking for. I can always give them to my 10 yr old for a bang around cue at the house.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello everyone, just wondering if anyone knows a cue that hits like a pre dot Meuccis? I regret selling my
Meucci SE III from day one. It was gift to me from my teammate back when I was still living in Phoenix, AZ. Played with it for a few hours then put it back in the case coz I loved my play cue which was a Viking and it sat there for the last 15 yrs until I sold it. Now that im getting back into the game I've already bought 4 cues and still searching for that nice subtle feedback and that "thom" sound I got from that meucci. Haven't tried the red dots coz I just cant spend that cash on it right now. So looking for a more economical value cue. I've recently bought a viking, pechauer, DP and a players hxt and seems like the pechauer was the closest one but still nit close enough. Any replies would be appreciated. Thanks!
Order a sneaky pete from Schmelke,opt for the extended pro taper at 12mm or 12.5 mm. For about $130 you'll have what your looking for !!!

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The tip is a major factor here. I suggest trying out a SIB tip, either Pro or Medium. They give a smooth, delicate feedback in my experience :smile: Its a cheap investment, Tom Hay sells them here at AzB. May even give you the feel you are looking for. I have a Medium on a Jacoby Edge shaft and I love the feel :smile:

Edenneil_james

Registered
The tip is a major factor here. I suggest trying out a SIB tip, either Pro or Medium. They give a smooth, delicate feedback in my experience Its a cheap investment, Tom Hay sells them here at AzB. May even give you the feel you are looking for. I have a Medium on a Jacoby Edge shaft and I love the feel

That is actually on my Google search tab. What tip were they using back in the day? I appreciate the replies for real.

ChicagoJay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can still order the meucci classic shafts (NO DOT) through budget billiards. If I remember correctly they are about $170.00

I also here the new Pro Shaft they make was closer to the classic shafts that one is a little more expensive though

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schmelke was in the radar. I just have to find one local so.I can try it
Meucci used LePro back then and I suggest that or Triangle for the Schmelke. Testing a Schmelke won't tell you much unless they ordered it with the "extended pro taper at 12.5mm or less. Hope this helps !!!

Edenneil_james

Registered
Meucci used LePro back then and I suggest that or Triangle for the Schmelke. Testing a Schmelke won't tell you much unless they ordered it with the "extended pro taper at 12.5mm or less. Hope this helps !!!

So I guess it was how the shaft was made back in the day. Simple, classic, old school, quality solid maple shaft with the consistency of the LePro tips.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That super long ferrule, the long skinny taper and flat laminated shafts has mostly gone out of style as performance is poor, compared to todays shafts.
But any cuemaker can make you a whippy shaft, if that's what you like.
But I highly recomend spending a few more hours with your SS360 shaft, as it's a very good shaft and performance vise it's lightyears better than those old Meucci shafts.

ChicagoJay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I guess it was how the shaft was made back in the day. Simple, classic, old school, quality solid maple shaft with the consistency of the LePro tips.
I think most of the old Classic shafts were made with the triangle hard tip like I said they are still available for purchase. I think a little bit later and the more higer end models were the LePro hard tips.

brentinps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can vouch from my blue book of cues and my newly acquired 80s Scruggs that triangle tips were used. I am pretty sure that my cue still has the triangles.

I can vouch that the only production cue that I have liked the original shaft from is None. I have hit with Edge Jacoby Hybrid on my Schon and Jacoby, and the Pechauer Pro + lite seems to have the exact same playing and feel characteristics on the Pechauer as the Jacoby Edge on the previous named. The Schon is known for a hard hit and I quickly moved to Jacoby, my first LD shaft.

I can also advise that the original Maple shaft on the Scruggs w Ivory ferrule is the only cue with original equipment shaft that I have liked. It plays great. My Pechauer Pro also fits on the SCruggs and plays well.

I am trying to figure out why the Scruggs seems to have LD like my LD shafts? when tested on a few shots. Iplan to ask my local cuemaker as I have not read on here anything about that. THe LD shafts are hollow on the tip ends and the Scruggs as a maple shaft is solid through.

Jerry Rathman

Registered
For what my opinion is worth, which isn't much. I would certainly try changing tips on some of those other shafts if you can. If the feedback you are looking for is like me, going to a LePro or Triangle will make a big difference. I've tried many different shafts and currently love the Meucci pro in 12.5mm with a LePro tip but couldn't stand the Ultra Skin Med that came with it. I like the snap sound better than the thud.
I also have a Schmelke with the extended tapper and 12.5mm LePro tip with their short ferrule (Can't remember the name of it) that is very nice.
Both are 3/8/10 pins and when I swap them the hit is about the same with the Schmelke being a bit firmer but a lot of perceived hit is sound and the harder tips help a lot with that. I can get great spin off either with little cue ball deflection.
I like the Schmelke better but I had it custom made for my height and it's a 61.5" cue. My home bars often don't have room to swing a 58" cue so it pretty much only gets used at home.

I will say this, if you are interested in Schmelke call them. I believe the gal that answers the phone is Kim and she is super nice and the prices over the phone are often better than what they have on website. They will build pretty much anything you want and can do much more than they advertise.

I need to quit talking about this now or I'm going to end up ordering another one....

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For what my opinion is worth, which isn't much. I would certainly try changing tips on some of those other shafts if you can. If the feedback you are looking for is like me, going to a LePro or Triangle will make a big difference. I've tried many different shafts and currently love the Meucci pro in 12.5mm with a LePro tip but couldn't stand the Ultra Skin Med that came with it. I like the snap sound better than the thud.
I also have a Schmelke with the extended tapper and 12.5mm LePro tip with their short ferrule (Can't remember the name of it) that is very nice.
Both are 3/8/10 pins and when I swap them the hit is about the same with the Schmelke being a bit firmer but a lot of perceived hit is sound and the harder tips help a lot with that. I can get great spin off either with little cue ball deflection.
I like the Schmelke better but I had it custom made for my height and it's a 61.5" cue. My home bars often don't have room to swing a 58" cue so it pretty much only gets used at home.

I will say this, if you are interested in Schmelke call them. I believe the gal that answers the phone is Kim and she is super nice and the prices over the phone are often better than what they have on website. They will build pretty much anything you want and can do much more than they advertise.

I need to quit talking about this now or I'm going to end up ordering another one....
Right now & for the next 4 or 5 days,Schmelke has a deal on Purple Heart Sneaky Petes for $88.00. Go to their website,listed under 'Daily Deals' !!!
http://schmelkecue.com/daily-deals/

Jerry Rathman

Registered
Right now & for the next 4 or 5 days,Schmelke has a deal on Purple Heart Sneaky Petes for $88.00. Go to their website,listed under 'Daily Deals' !!!
http://schmelkecue.com/daily-deals/

I ordered one last night.... Going to give it to my 11 year old for Christmas. :smile:

Also ordered a 60" H015 with spiral leather wrap and a long pro tapper. 12.5 mm with XTC ferrule for myself.... Love Schmelke cues. This model is on sale for $225.00 before you add the extras....

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ordered one last night.... Going to give it to my 11 year old for Christmas. :smile:

Also ordered a 60" H015 with spiral leather wrap and a long pro tapper. 12.5 mm with XTC ferrule for myself.... Love Schmelke cues. This model is on sale for $225.00 before you add the extras....
One more suggestion,if I may. Order a spare,matching shaft for each. If something happens to one,you won't have to send the butt in to match it up. They are plenty cheap enough at around $60.00 ~ IIRC

Last edited: