Gold Member
Silver Member
the link didnt work for me

not important
efren is definitely on the short list of the GOAT

marikian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got a chance to play Efren tonight at Stix Billiards. It was fantastic to play him and see the way he moves the cue ball. He was playing people for 5 straight hours races to 5. What an amazing time.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
That match by Efren was a thing of beauty. Such control and such a soft touch. He makes it look so easy! When Efren was in dead stroke, which was a lot of the time, he was the best pool player in the world. I can't think of anyone playing today who plays that way. Today's top players overpower the balls. Efren caressed them. :rolleyes:

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
How anyone could thumbs down that video is beyond me. Thanks for posting.

And whatever happened to that crazy rack contraption? Lol

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That match by Efren was a thing of beauty. Such control and such a soft touch. He makes it look so easy! When Efren was in dead stroke, which was a lot of the time, he was the best pool player in the world. I can't think of anyone playing today who plays that way. Today's top players overpower the balls. Efren caressed them. :rolleyes:

Yes! Efren just nestled the balls around. Even when he hits a shot with authority...it's never "harsh", it's pure. Definitely the GOAT.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great video. I'd like to see a video of Danny DiLiberto in his prime. He saw the shot with inside to catch the point and he often sees things while doing commentary.

I'll bet he was a handful in his prime.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great video. I'd like to see a video of Danny DiLiberto in his prime. He saw the shot with inside to catch the point and he often sees things while doing commentary.

I have a set of DVDs where Danny is gambling with Ronnie Allen around the mid-80s, giving him all he could handle. He played with a Meucci Cue, and played incredibly well. Ronnie wasn't playing bad either! He a Balabushka I think (or a Richard Black, or something resembling that old style of cue). An exciting match to watch.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I thought Efren would 3 rail that shot.
It's hard to tell watching the video if he could make it and not scratch,but Danny saw it.

marikian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The interesting thing about seeing him in person is the way his hand is almost not touching the cue on the forward stroke. I started hitting balls today with trying to feel like my hand is letting go of the cue on the forward stroke. It is amazing how the cue ball reacts.
Also the way he positions his body around the table and looks so solid with his stance. He was playing challenge matches and would shoot some great 4 rail banks on the 9 balls. Made most of them and when he made a great shot he gets this grin like a kid. He is a very quiet man who plays the game that we love like no other.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a set of DVDs where Danny is gambling with Ronnie Allen around the mid-80s, giving him all he could handle. He played with a Meucci Cue, and played incredibly well. Ronnie wasn't playing bad either! He a Balabushka I think (or a Richard Black, or something resembling that old style of cue). An exciting match to watch.

That was the World One Pocket Challenge match, where they actually played for $20,000, a pretty serious bet back then. They played three out of five sets, each set a Race to Five. It went the distance, playing all five sets. It was played at the Golden Eight Ball in Phoenix in 1987. I produced the match (and did commentary) and have the entire thing on a set of five DVD's (ten hours of play!). It was a well played match by both players, with some very creative play.

Probably the best footage of these two guys there is. Ronnie was in the twilight of his career by then, but still may have been the best One Pocket player there was at that time. Danny was the house pro in that room and very familiar with the Anniversary table they played on. He was a great gambler and his local knowledge made for a very close match.

I have personally watched this entire match several times and never get tired of it. Both players were "mike'd" so we had some interesting comments during the course of the match. Ronnie liked to chatter away and he could be very funny and entertaining. People always flocked to see him play.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was the World One Pocket Challenge match, where they actually played for $20,000, a pretty serious bet back then. They played three out of five sets, each set a Race to Five. It went the distance, playing all five sets. It was played at the Golden Eight Ball in Phoenix in 1987. I produced the match (and did commentary) and have the entire thing on a set of five DVD's (ten hours of play!). It was a well played match by both players, with some very creative play.

Probably the best footage of these two guys there is. Ronnie was in the twilight of his career by then, but still may have been the best One Pocket player there was at that time. Danny was the house pro in that room and very familiar with the Anniversary table they played on. He was a great gambler and his local knowledge made for a very close match.

I have personally watched this entire match several times and never get tired of it. Both players were "mike'd" so we had some interesting comments during the course of the match. Ronnie liked to chatter away and he could be very funny and entertaining. People always flocked to see him play.

Right, I was going to say I don't remember a lot of commentary but I LOVE that they are mic'd up. Makes it really interesting. And there are some legends in the crowd as well that you can pick out.

This is old school one pocket. Ronnie with his power. And Danny had his finesse. Danny hits an amazing Bankshot in one game. Super set of DVDs. If you're still selling it - I advise everyone to buy a set. I love watching this match. Ronnie's "style" of one pocket (and he was hitting them good) is really fun to watch.

The table was amazing...but, Jay, can you tell me - is Ronnie playing with a Balabushka? I have another match with Ronnie from that time where he's gambling against McCready and Platis playing one pocket and using what looks like the same cue. I'm just a cue-nerd and wondering. I know Danny has a Meucci (which was a staple cue for the pros in those days).