chinese players and their cues

Mole Eye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With all the great chinese players around, and more coming, I wonder what type of cues they are using, since so many are made there. It would be interesting if they are using cues ,made outside of China. Just curious.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I hear that Southwest is very popular, especially in Taiwan, fitted with a Predator shaft.

Monto P2

Asia Billiards
Silver Member
I have met several taiwanese pros during tournaments and have never seen them use predator shafts. They use original shafts and also taiwan coaches dont let them use predator or any low deflection shafts.
Many pros recently have reverted from low deflection to normal shafts like dennis orcullo and lee van cortezza.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I was told that a lot of high end cues sold to East Asia eventually end up developing a warp. Its alot harder to ring up Southwest or Pete Tascarella for a spare shaft over there than over there. So, due to Predator's consistency and quality control, they're common replacements.

Now, I don't know if this is pulling my leg. I was further told that some of these overseas cues when repatriated back here, become unwarp within a year. The gentlemen who told me this cited as a reason why filipino cues aren't popular over here, because they warp.

If you look at Roy Mallot's website (IndyQ), all his Southwest offerings come with english and chinese descriptions.
http://www.indyq.com/custom-cues/southwest/index.html

A southwest with a predator shaft. For some reason I find that funny!
Chris

dgem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
China's women players are using Tony Bautista Cues. Fu xiao fang and Liu Sha sha are using Tony's cues for the past few months already.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Jive

Professional Racker
Silver Member
Actually Taiwanese and Chinese(China) tend to be a little different in cue preference not entirely though. Example many Taiwanese love to play with fat shafts or big tip (13.2mm) but not so much in China.

Southwest is definitely one of the top favourite brands amongst both the Chinese and Taiwanese(there's a long and interesting story behind this..). That said many of these players are getting exposed to big brands early. I can't say for sure but I know MUSASHI is popular with top players as to who is using I can't be sure. Mezz is crazy popular in China as well.

Side note, is tough to group Chinese as a whole cos it's very different culture and habits between say China, Hong Kong and Taiwan. Though they're all called Chinese and considered China(with exception to Taiwan's debate with China on this) it's just too different of places. I'd go as far as saying it's like calling Italians, French and the English, Europeans, it's the correct term but all very different people.

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
southwest is very popular in taiwan, but not with predator shafts as someone mentioned earlier. actually taiwan is the worst market for predator and low deflection shafts in general, taiwanese players have never taken to them. the predator fat shaft was made especially to try and penetrate the taiwanese market, but i don't think it was very successful

jive, i'd be curious to know how the SW craze got started there, i never really knew how that happened

Jive

Professional Racker
Silver Member
southwest is very popular in taiwan, but not with predator shafts as someone mentioned earlier. actually taiwan is the worst market for predator and low deflection shafts in general, taiwanese players have never taken to them. the predator fat shaft was made especially to try and penetrate the taiwanese market, but i don't think it was very successful

jive, i'd be curious to know how the SW craze got started there, i never really knew how that happened

I read a write up a couple of months back but I can't remember exactly. It was along the lines of Americans popularizing pool in Taiwan eons ago and brought these cues over and how it became the best there cos that's all that was brought over at that time. Let me try to find the article again, can't remember if it's here on AZ or on the web..

Roadie

Banned
The way I understand it is that SouthWest and Gina cues were popular because of players like Chao Fong Pang bringing them to the island. I have seldom seen any other non-Chinese cue than SouthWest in good player's hands during my China travels. Most of the players I have played with use a Chinese made cue. A notable quandary exists with Predator though. I have seen more Predator cues among top players here than any other brand. Predators are made in China. But the brand is American. My Chinese is not good enough to hold lengthy conversations about why a person buys a cue but one person I play with speaks good English and I did ask him. He said matter of factly that he purchased the Predator cues (and case) because he was influenced by the amount of sponsorship and the fact that a lot of people play with Predator cues. Last time I saw him though he said he was looking to purchase a Bender cue.

sengkun108

sengkun108
Silver Member
i know that cory barnhart cue sell a lot in taiwan.....i believe i saw one post here that state that not alot of Barnhart cue sell in USA...Because many of them sell to Asia market...

whitewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Years ago Tim Scruggs told me he was taking around 75 cues he made to the Far East. He said they bought them like there was no tomorrow.

Pangit

Banned
Years ago Tim Scruggs told me he was taking around 75 cues he made to the Far East. He said they bought them like there was no tomorrow.
Some folks talk crap about Pinoy cues. You can get any sort of joint/length configuration U want. They import Canadian Maple for the shafts. Lot's of local tropically figured wood to work with. Labor is extremely cheap here--happy to have a job. There are plenty that take pride in their work and sign it, at "Sam's Club" prices.
Bang for the Buck, where's a better place to buy a cue?

Mole Eye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was wondering primarily about the mainland Chinese players. Do they get government issue, or do they buy cues made outside of their country?

banker123

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the most popular brand is south west cue over taiwan and china.

most of the top players use south west cue.

no one uses south west cue with predator shafts....its meaningless

any other custom cues are not so popular.

Jive

Professional Racker
Silver Member
the most popular brand is south west cue over taiwan and china.

most of the top players use south west cue.

no one uses south west cue with predator shafts....its meaningless

any other custom cues are not so popular.

I cant speak for Taiwan but it's not so true in China. Most players can't afford southwest...it's one of the "oldest" known famous brand here without a doubt but it's no longer the only most popular brand. I'm based in a second tier city, meaning we're more backwards compared to big cities like Shanghai, Beijing or Guangzhou but people here know TAD, Szamboti (even difference between Gus and Barry), GINA, Tascarella, Blackboar, Sugartree, Bill Mac...the list goes on...infact most of the more well read guys don't aspire to have a southwest, though if one comes their way and they can afford it they will still go for it cos they know the value and how it appreciates.

If we speak of the guys that's not so well read about pool stuff or into custom then Predator and MEZZ remains top brands here, followed by Schon and McDermott. Sadly Pechauer isn't that known here.

gcgaryyoyo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't know how Southwest fad initially took place among Taiwanese players, but Yang Ching Shun definitely played a big part in popularizing the brand name to a household level. Guy used to play with an ebony on ebony SW back in late 90's to 2000, and when he had that cue he was virtually invincible (plus he looked really cool in fans' eyes playing with that cue). It was funny because ever since then about 95% of SW knockoffs were of that wood combo as that was the only style people would buy.

sengkun108

sengkun108
Silver Member
Can anybody from Taiwan tell me...Why most of coaches in Taiwan don't allow their student play with Less Deflection shafts...

Best
Dedy:smile: