Who was the best pool player you ever played in your pool career?

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Name the person that you think is the best pool player you have ever played in your time playing pool from the beginning of your pool playing days? Thank you for your input.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Jason Koopman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Grady Mathews during an exhibition in 94. I was a young 16 year old kid at the time and it was only one game. Grady fouled after I played a nice safe, but I choked with ball in hand. I had it in my head that I was going to beat this champion (and I should have) but I got careless. It is still one of my fondest memories.

m79a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have not played in a lot of big tourneys, but Karen Corr whipped my ass one night and was very sweet about it I might add.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
in the 1970s i played new york blackie (al bonife)
you can read an interview with him by onepocket.org here
http://www.onepocket.org/NYBlackie.htm
he played at the sports palace in new orleans in the 1970s
earl heisler ran/owned it ( i think)
lots of action came thru there
bugs st louie louie to name a few
anyway blackie and i played one pocket
dont ask the spot or for how much i lost......:embarrassed2:
the memory is priceless.....:)

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Best two...

Name the person that you think is the best pool player you have ever played in your time playing pool from the beginning of your pool playing days? Thank you for your input.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Probably Mosconi in 1965 and Nicky Varner in 1981.

Donny L
PBIA/ACS Instructor

Maestro

In the Zone...
Silver Member
I ran the table for Irving Crane twice. The second time, I was so nervous (he had commented on my every shot and was not gentle in his critique) I dropped my cue on the floor after I cleared the table. He complimented me on the run, smiled and said - "That's a great way to hurt your cue. Bring it over here so we can check it out". The man had a sense of dry humor and a warmth underneath the icy surface of an implacable exterior. We where very good friends, he coached me many times, signed my cues and we talked about the game and his life. I recorded our conversations for a radio program I hosted at the time, had dinner with him and his wife and from there on, I became a good friend of his very large and wonderful family.

Irving had made plans for us to play a few games and we talked about it from time to time as I visited him. His health had given out and yet, he would say - "You know, you would never get to the table anyway and would end up watching me all the time." I got to do that as he practiced 14-1 at the table anyway. I did not have to play Crane. He played on my side. Still does....

As to the strongest played I actually did play, I would have to say it was Tony the shark, sorry I don't remember the man's last name, but he had a run in with the law when he decided to rob the hall he frequented. A rather stupid move.... The man had more talent then anyone in his age group I have seen. He would jump the ball from one bank in the middle to the other (long way on the 9 footers) with the object ball frozen to the rail there and masse along with the long jump (with a house cue - to make a point!) calling the side pocket and making it 4 out of 5 times. Wanted to buy one of my cues, but mysteriously vanished at some point... wonder where he is. :) Oh, by the way, you wonder how I did against him?... I won a few times. Then he asked me if I wanted to bet something.... I did not, so he offered to teach me a few things at the table. Others where taking a few lessons in the league from him (he was never in the league, just came to practice and make some money from time to time). I never did take a lesson. Learned enough from watching.

Last edited:

bflgvs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
in the 1970s i played new york blackie (al bonife)
you can read an interview with him by onepocket.org here
http://www.onepocket.org/NYBlackie.htm
he played at the sports palace in new orleans in the 1970s
earl heisler ran/owned it ( i think)
lots of action came thru there
bugs st louie louie to name a few
anyway blackie and i played one pocket
dont ask the spot or for how much i lost......:embarrassed2:
the memory is priceless.....:)

I too had the pleasure playing NYB. I got the opportunity to play with him at Racketeers in N.O. back in the early 1990s. Only wish I played more with him. My 'business trip' to N.O. ONLY lasted about a year and I really never took full advantage of it in that respect.

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

It would be so nice if you ever answered your own questions.

You know we're not just here for your own personal entertaiment.

You could actually make a contribution you know. ;)

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
It was years after his best game, but George "Ginky" Sansouci might be the best I've played. At one time, he was one of the best American players, I wish I would have been around in those days.

jschelin99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I was about 21 (20 years ago!) and working in the local pool hall, the owner had Allen Hopkins come in for an exhibition. We got the pool hall cleaned, set up the spectator chairs, etc. The pool hall was closed until the exhibition started so the place was empty, except for me and the owner. The place is all set, so I'm banging balls on the newly-felted exhibition table. Allen walks in about an hour early because he was bored in his hotel room. He looks at me and asks if I wanna play. I looked around and did the "Who, me?" thing! We played 9-Ball for about 45 minutes. He obviously killed me. I think I won one game. That was pretty damn cool.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was years after his best game, but George "Ginky" Sansouci might be the best I've played. At one time, he was one of the best American players, I wish I would have been around in those days.

If we could all go back in time to when these guys were playing their best, I'd bet on Ginky if there were a sucker willing to take that bet. I was there and the robbery that ensued nightly was amazing.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jamie Farrell.

I don't get out much. I've watched a lot of good players, but haven't played them.

stick8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
best player

Well i was blessed- got to shoot game with THE FAT MAN in atlanta he was there doing exp-for brunswick and hank aaron was there for spalding baseball.. and got to play the EARL THE PEARL in athens in tourny close game he almost had to rack once-HA HA :grin-square::grin-square:

BigDaddyInc.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Corey Deuel played him i was 17 he was 15 first time i played him played a race to 7 for $50 lol, destroyed me. Later when i was like 23 played him in a couple tournies he beat me 7-3, 7-0 smoothest player i have ever witnessed.

Played eric durbin when i was like 16 or 17 in lexington ky he gave me last 4 and the dude played like a robot programmed to run balls.

steveinflorida

Silver Member
Ray Martin - 14.1 :(

Eric Baker - 1 pocket :(

A young Jimmy Rempe - 9 ball :(

A young Cole Dickson - 9 ball :(

A young Gary Spath - 9 ball :)

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Tyler Edey, back when he was playing pro. When he caught his top gear it was kind of stupid how good he was. I played some of my best pool of my life against him and it was rarely ever enough.

guelphdad

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snooker rather than pool, but I got to spend an evening with former Canadian snooker champion Jim Bear. I played as a semi-regular in a hall in Toronto at the time and was fortunate to be asked to make up a foursome.