My FARGO is 489. What does that mean?

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Fargo doesn’t work like that. 489 in Phoenix = 489 in Moscow = 489 in Mayberry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I once heard that Barney Fife was one heckuva shot. He and Thelma Lou would drive up to Mt. Pilot and play in a Jack-n-Jill league.

Maniac

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I once heard that Barney Fife was one heckuva shot. He and Thelma Lou would drive up to Mt. Pilot and play in a Jack-n-Jill league.

Maniac

Im pretty sure they got kicked out of that league before
the end of the season for being too good and got forced
up to Raleigh:)

AF pool guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Okay, so if I understand this correctly, the idea behind the FARGO thing is to make ratings across the country (maybe the world?) completely transferable, right?

Not like how it used to be, when I could be a 6 here, a 7 in STL, an 8 in NE, and so on.

Exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

megatron69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Okay, and this may be another dumb question, but how do they arrive at these scores? What are the criteria? Is it just wins and losses, or does FARGO take into account other factors, like a QBR rating?

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So last year I started playing a small tournament in north Phoenix because the guy who started it asked me to come and participate. I ended up playing in it about 7 or 8 times last year.

A week ago I played in it for the first time this year. While I was there, several players were talking about their FARGO score/rating? They asked me what mine was, and I said, "I have no idea." The TD overheard and looked me up and told me that I was a 489.

Great. Now, what does "489" mean, exactly?

I know that at one time, many moons ago I was considered a strong BCA 7 to a weak 8. But that in recent years my rating fell to a 6 before I pretty much stopped playing tournaments around town (life/work).

Does 489 mean I'm a strong 4? Or is there some math that I'm missing still?

Thanks for your replies in advance.

It depends...lol.... I know a couple players that have a Fargo of only mid-500's with a robustness of 20ish to 50ish, that can string 9 ball racks when playing the ghost and win if race is less than 11ish...

Then again, LOLLOLOLOL, I know a BUNCH of players with Fargo ratings in the low to mid 600's, with a robustness of 300ish to 1000ish that can't beat the 9 ball ghost no matter what the rules.

Bottom line: I wouldn't worry about my rating. Just enjoy the game whether your a league player or a die-hard gambler....or like me and can't run 3 balls but love to play.

It goes by to fast to sweat stuff like a number on the internet that's really useless until you get a lot of robustness.

Anyone that has a lot of robustness will have a very close skill level to others in their range.

In the other hand, a player that has a very low robustness #.....lol....well, they may be able to hang with a player with a much higher Fargo rating since they have not yet entered enough info to make the output accurate.

Be VERY CAREFUL if you gamble and go by Fargo ratings with strangers!!!! Very careful!

PoolRookie

Minnesota
Silver Member
It means I will take the 7 and play cheap $200 a game. Jk. I’m around same area my Fargo that is. Not sure how I even have one considering I haven’t played in a tournament since 2005.

AF pool guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Okay, and this may be another dumb question, but how do they arrive at these scores? What are the criteria? Is it just wins and losses, or does FARGO take into account other factors, like a QBR rating?

It is strictly wins and losses. But everyone is linked together like the 6 degrees of separation thing.

I saw on Facebook where they had a booth set up at one of the recent events that shows how you’re connected to SVB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dimeshooter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fargo Rate

If you had a rating systems Master, AA, A, B, C, D, I would put a 489 as a strong B player. Here is how Fargo ranking explains the ratings:

Fargo Ratings have the following approximate correspondence:
800 A top world-class player. About 10-15 players worldwide have ratings that exceed 800.
700 A top regional player in the US –a solid entry in the Grand Master Division or a clear threat to cash in the Master’s Division at the BCAPL Championships – a threat to run six in a row if the break is working. Around top 50 in the Eurotour. World-Class female player.
600 Likely to cash in the BCAPL Open Division but probably won’t make it to the top 32. – may be in Advanced Division, but not likely to cash. Has run three-in-a-row multiple times and maybe four-in-a row a time or two. High Run in 14.1 of 50-60.
500 A good local league player. Runs out first time at the table in about 10% of the games.
400 Runs out first time at the table in about 1% of the games—once or twice a league season.
300 A common level of play for league player. Probably has run a table, but maybe not.
200 beginner level – modestly coordinated --Most likely has never run an 8-ball table
100 beginner level – somewhat uncoordinated

It looks like Mike Page posted a video with an explanation as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=239&v=_unbV1pQP9w

Last edited:

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Haha, why do I get the feeling you're hedging greatly in
your favor? Doesn't matter anyway, I gave up gambling a long time ago.

I might be interested for a couple beers though . . .

:smile: ok, gotta be a buck and a half happy hour somewhere..

.. let's see, Arizona - Arkansas, something betweence,
I'm a mile off I-40, kind of an I-40 azb round-up to test the Fargo theory... hmmm:rolleyes:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you had a rating systems Master, AA, A, B, C, D, I would put a 489 as a strong B player. Here is how Fargo ranking explains the ratings:

489 is a C+ player, you are one level off. Which is about a 6/7 in APA 9 ball if one is not sandbagging. I don't play in APA but my brother in law does, he is a bit better than me and he is maxed out in APA, his Fargo was 599. I have had people tell me I would be at least an 8 in APA and I am a 550.

There are a few players with a sub 50 Fargo in my area. I think they are one eyed one legged pirates with a hook for hands.

Last edited:

dimeshooter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fargo Rate

489 is a C+ player, you are one level off. Which is about a 6/7 in APA 9 ball if one is not sandbagging. I don't play in APA but my brother in law does, he is a bit better than me and he is maxed out in APA, his Fargo was 599. I have had people tell me I would be at least an 8 in APA and I am a 550.

Not according to the Fargo rating explanation. :wink:

Attachments

• rating.JPG
    rating.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 281

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member

Is that APA rating for 8-ball or 9-ball? It makes a difference, but I can only assume that because the rating only goes up to 7 that they are using the 8-ball rating.

Maniac

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Yes, as long as the Fargo system has enough match history (robustness) on you, then your Fargo rating is universal. Meaning 489 in Arizona is the same as 489 in the Philippines.

Okay, so if I understand this correctly, the idea behind the FARGO thing is to make ratings across the country (maybe the world?) completely transferable, right?

Not like how it used to be, when I could be a 6 here, a 7 in STL, an 8 in NE, and so on.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Fargo rating is 0 so if you are 489 it means in a 14.1 game to 500 you have to spot me 489 balls.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Don't know what that rating scale is based on, but it's not the DCBA rating I am familiar with. I go by D being able to run 1-2 balls with ball in hand, C 3-4, B 5-7, A 7+, basically playing the ghost ability, along with some things based on table knowledge and consistency to divide things to the +- ranges.

Those MN ratings need to be shifted over one rank to the left to be correct, whatever MN ratings are.

Fargo matches those with 300s, 400s, 500s and 600s with the 700-800 being Open (Or A++ depending on how you rate things) and Pro levels.

200s can be considered D players as well, or "beginners".

I know for a fact that you can be an APA 7 in 9 ball and not be a top A player. An A- can be an APA 7 easily. If you just go by that chart you would be an A+ or higher as an APA 7. As long as you are not sandbagging that is.

I'm a 550 Fargo, that chart puts me in solid A level, which I know I am not. I don't run out racks easily even with an open table, my beating the ghost stops at 7 balls. Since I know I am a B+, maybe A- at my best, an under 500 would have to be at best a B- in the 480,490 range, but is probably a C+.

This ofcourse assumes we are all using the same rating scale. I have seen B players called C players in some tournaments, but that is probably from just cheating players and no one policing the ratings rather than someone thinking a B level player is a C. It's all common sense, if a beginner is a D, then a C only has a bit more knowledge. If someone calls a player that can run out 5 balls a C, when a D player is someone that is just learning to play, that is just a lack of reasoning. That means you have B players that can run out racks and A players that can play even with world class players. Just logical progressions there.

Last edited:

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would consider a 489, based on guys with similar handicaps in my area, to be a high C, low B.

Koop - probably wrong

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Heres how I see it.
True C tournament
475- threat to cash
500- threat to win
True B tournament
530- threat to cash
550/575- threat to win
True A