Pool Ball Collecting.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Outstanding, Chuck!

I don’t know how you do it, dear fellow, but you somehow manage to find incredible examples. That set appears to be some sort of prototype from Aramith without the numbers. I absolutely LOVE it, sir. Please share details of how you managed to acquire such a rare thing.

ChuckJones1987

Registered
Sorry, I don't own that set. I found that image on a Japanese billiards website. They were completely sold out and at the moment I can't find any other examples online.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Ah, thanks, Chuck.

I suppose we must accept the possibility that (despite what it says on the box) they are not actually Aramith? A lot of counterfeits do come out of the Far East.

I still love them. Could you possibly email me a link please, dear fellow?

bfriesth

Bolder
Silver Member
Thanks! That was quite informative. I do wonder though if it could be made simpler by skipping the dado groove and just using the drill pressed dimples.

Also, that's a lovely collection! I'm also jealous of all that wall space. A good portion of my room is taken up by windows (which are certainly nice in their own way) so I've been thinking about ways to display balls vertically, between the windows.

Just thinking....I like the "floating" shelf concept. One idea would be to cut 16 2.5" squares with a .5" dimple and attach them to the wall individually. I think you would have to attach to a stud for stability and installation would be a pain in the ass. Second ideal would be to do the same thing but attach each to a backer board of some sort. Installation would be much easier and the whole rack could be moved with minimal effort.

Just my thought for the day.

mrpoopytime

Registered
The Dynasphere Tungstens came in the other day. I've really been enjoying them. They play well, the colors are beautiful (even my non-playing wife approved!), and they have been highly resistant to chalk stains. Interestingly they don't appear on the Dynasphere website. I've emailed them for more info but I suspect they're discontinued. From what I can gather, they have the same tolerances as the rest of the Dynasphere line and in my personal opinion they are much better looking than the Gold and Silver lines. These are going to replace my Aramith Premiums as my daily playing set.

The only oddity about this set is that I received them with the seal on the box broken. I'm guessing this more due to the vendor I bought them from and may explain why they were so inexpensive. In any case, they looked like they had never been used.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

mrpoopytime

Registered
With shipping, $63. If you google Dynasphere Tungsten the first result should be where I got them from, and it looks like they've raised the price a little.

mrpoopytime

Registered
Regarding the broken seal on the Dynasphere Tungstens I received, I received a response from Willie Olhausen saying that all of the seals on the boxes they received were broken, and it happens with their Aramith sets as well. If you end up ordering a set, expect a broken seal. He did say they were brand new and I'll confirm that they looked like it.

ChuckJones1987

Registered
Here are a few different 9 ball sets:

t5vJ1kV.jpg

SPECIAL 9

XNhbBBr.jpg

NEO 9

ufrGsVA.jpg

BILLIARD FOOTBALL

I would love to own a set of the Billiard Footballs. Is anybody friendly with creator Earl Munson? I have tried contacting him with his information listed on the BCA instructors website, but no response as of yet.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Awesome, Chuck. :)

I was familiar with the purple set, sir, but not the other two underneath. You have really contributed tremendously since joining the thread, dear chap. Sincere thanks for sharing all your wonderful discoveries.

mrpoopytime

Registered
Nice! I've been interested in a 9 ball set. Is there anyone making those now? A quick search only turned up an Aramith 9 ball set sold by a single store in Germany.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Hello, Mr P.

Those sets from Germany are pretty much a modern copy of Raschig’s famous Nine Ball Turniersatz from the early 1980s.

I bought a set, curious to see how they compared, and was extremely disappointed. The balls seemed to be of poor quality, slightly dull and a wide disparity in weight. This, and the fact they were inexpensive, led me to suspect that they might not be genuine Aramiths.

Best wishes.

Nice! I've been interested in a 9 ball set. Is there anyone making those now? A quick search only turned up an Aramith 9 ball set sold by a single store in Germany.

longhorns2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Dynasphere Tungstens came in the other day. I've really been enjoying them. They play well, the colors are beautiful (even my non-playing wife approved!), and they have been highly resistant to chalk stains. Interestingly they don't appear on the Dynasphere website. I've emailed them for more info but I suspect they're discontinued. From what I can gather, they have the same tolerances as the rest of the Dynasphere line and in my personal opinion they are much better looking than the Gold and Silver lines. These are going to replace my Aramith Premiums as my daily playing set.

The only oddity about this set is that I received them with the seal on the box broken. I'm guessing this more due to the vendor I bought them from and may explain why they were so inexpensive. In any case, they looked like they had never been used.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Is there any noticeable difference in how they play? I have a set of centennials but I might pick these up because why not for $70. Normally I don't like the nontraditional colors but these look good imo

mrpoopytime

Registered
RC, yeah I noticed the similarity to the Raschig nine ball set. Apparently you could also order this "Aramith" set with numberless balls bringing it even closer to the Raschigs.

longhorn2, these balls weight about 3 grams more than my Aramith Premiums but I can't really tell a difference in how they play. I'm a mediocre player though so such subtleties are lost on me.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
It’s strange that those Tungstens do not appear on the Dynasphere website, or anywhere else in Europe as far as I can see. Their entry level product is advertised as their Silver set at €200.

I wonder if the Tungstens were an early test design?

bfriesth

Bolder
Silver Member
I did work on Google for a bit in regard to the Tungstens and 3-4 pages in I did find at least 2 links that defined the Tungsten as a 16 ball set and did send me to a disabled page on the DynaSphere site? Has anyone reached out to DynaSphere directly yet?

mrpoopytime

Registered
I emailed Dynasphere for more information the Tungstens, still waiting on a reply.

They are listed on the Van Ooy Billiards site, described with a single word, "new". The box in the picture is in the style of Dynasphere's current line up, which differs from the box I have.