SVB aiming vid..................

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Good video. But those "extreme" cut shots look too thin for where he is aiming. Fractionally, he is saying a 3/8 cut shot (around 38°) is extreme. That's the shot angle created by aiming the side of the ferrule flush with the ob edge. Those shots he shoots look more like 45 to 60 degrees. He aims where he aims, but the cb doesn't go to where he is aiming or he'd be hitting those shots too thick. Still a nice tool for the bag, using your cue to gage the shot, once you learn when to use which portion ofvthe ferrule.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SVB is probably laughing at those who believe him in that video.
Really? He said basically the EXACT same thing in person on one of the TAR streams. He's used ferrule aiming for a long time. Why is that so hard to believe?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Really? He said basically the EXACT same thing in person on one of the TAR streams. He's used ferrule aiming for a long time. Why is that so hard to believe?

If you believe he aims different parts of the shafts, and each shaft is different, I have a bridge to sell you.
Please . Shane can stand lining up the cue ball and the object ball WITHOUT the stick and he knows if he's lined up or not . Shane trolled the aiming junkees and he's laughing at those who believe him in that video .
I have the DVD here somewhere. You wanna buy it ?

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you believe he aims different parts of the shafts, and each shaft is different, I have a bridge to sell you.
Please . Shane can stand lining up the cue ball and the object ball WITHOUT the stick and he knows if he's lined up or not . Shane trolled the aiming junkees and he's laughing at those who believe him in that video .
I have the DVD here somewhere. You wanna buy it ?

What about snooker players using the ash grain to help aim, similar no?

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
What about snooker players using the ash grain to help aim, similar no?

Sounds like another BS to me unless they are using it for orientation/consistency from shot to shot . If someone says he uses the grain to aim, he's full of it imo. Please. Your peripheral vision can't see that .
The good thing about snooker is, nobody sells aiming bs in that sport.
Almost all FAMOUS instructors just teach ghost ball or the aiming line .
They do not go down to shoot without knowing the aiming/stroking line.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSK4w_9S_x0
Imaginary shot line he says.

Shane claiming he uses the side of the shaft in different parts depending on the contact point is smoke and mirrors to me .
Merry Christmas .

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like another BS to me unless they are using it for orientation/consistency from shot to shot . If someone says he uses the grain to aim, he's full of it imo. Please. Your peripheral vision can't see that .
The good thing about snooker is, nobody sells aiming bs in that sport.
Almost all FAMOUS instructors just teach ghost ball or the aiming line .
They do not go down to shoot without knowing the aiming/stroking line.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSK4w_9S_x0
Imaginary shot line he says.

Shane claiming he uses the side of the shaft in different parts depending on the contact point is smoke and mirrors to me .
Merry Christmas .

I am not an expert, and I certainly could be mistaken, but I browse https://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/ pretty frequently, people are constantly talking about using the grain to aim. Maybe they are all full of it, or I might not understand the reference, but its talked about on the regular. Maybe these snooker players and instructors, as well as SVB, are all trolling,

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I browse https://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/ pretty frequently, people are constantly talking about using the grain to aim.
Snooker shafts are often made of ash, which has a prominent grain kinda like oak - much more visible than maple's grain.

pj
chgo

snooker shaft.jpg

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
I am not an expert, and I certainly could be mistaken, but I browse https://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/ pretty frequently, people are constantly talking about using the grain to aim. Maybe they are all full of it, or I might not understand the reference, but its talked about on the regular. Maybe these snooker players and instructors, as well as SVB, are all trolling,

I pity the souls who fall for the bs.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO, and I don't mean to say this in a "mean" way, but if you play pool for any length of time and can't figure out how to aim, you are not meant to play pool.

Aiming is the easy part.

Performing is the harder part.

Aiming has more to do with seeing the balls while you are down on the shot as they are in "reality" as you see them before you get down on the shot.

I can stand at the table and see where I should hit the object ball on every shot on the table, but getting down into position and "seeing" that "same" spot (while down) isn't always the case.

Stance, body position, head alignment, etc. are the keys to aiming.

Last edited:

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO, and I don't mean to say this in a "mean" way, but if you play pool for any length of time and can't figure out how to aim, you are not meant to play pool.

Aiming is the easy part.

Performing is the harder part.

Aiming has more to do with seeing the balls while you are down on the shot as they are in "reality" as you see them before you get down on the shot.

I can stand at the table and see where I should hit the object ball on every shot on the table, but getting down into position and "seeing" that "same" spot (while down) isn't always the case.

Stance, body position, head alignment, etc. are the keys to aiming.

perhaps I see some of what you see, 'eye
my relative inexperience notwithstanding
once educated pool vision is established
I agree that the devil is in the deed
and I utterly agree that body position is crucial to making the game as easy as possible
especially the feet..so much begins there
that said
I think the more time one puts into playing, watching, thinking about the game
the easier it will be to both execute, and fail
aiming in pool is a fascinating subject tho
the hullabaloo is understandable

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you watched the video ?

Yep.

I have also heard the same exact same system straight from Shane.

I shaft aim.

My method is different than SVBs system, but I still use the shaft on the object ball. Different parts of the shaft, and more than the just the edges of the object ball.

My system was a product of reverse engineering. Find what makes the ball go in the pocket, then look to see what the tip lines up with on the OB.

Its objective, you line up much like shooting a rifle or shotgun. You still need to be precise, and stroke straight..... But its legitimate.

So again I ask, have you never heard of shaft aiming before?

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Yep.

I have also heard the same exact same system straight from Shane.

I shaft aim.

My method is different than SVBs system, but I still use the shaft on the object ball. Different parts of the shaft, and more than the just the edges of the object ball.

My system was a product of reverse engineering. Find what makes the ball go in the pocket, then look to see what the tip lines up with on the OB.

Its objective, you line up much like shooting a rifle or shotgun. You still need to be precise, and stroke straight..... But its legitimate.

So again I ask, have you never heard of shaft aiming before?
Yes. And your peripheral vision can tell if your shaft is off line.
But Shane claiming he aims the side of the side in different parts and each shaft is different is BS to me .
Specially now that he's using a black shaft .