Ever Just Feel Your............

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just never going to get there? in spite of all the time and practice you put in at the table? in spite of all the nice equipment you have? in spite of all the lessons you take? in spite of the occassional really good night when you think its all starting to come together? in spite of all of the books/dvds/espn shows/magazines you accumulate?

this is a really frustrating sport/hobby.............:mad:

DCP

Russ Chewning

Short Bus Russ - C player
Silver Member
Nah, I've NEVER felt like "I" won't get there, because I have an ego the size of a house, and literally will not accept defeat. I lose $50 to a guy who I believe I am supposed to beat, and I practice for 12 hours straight one day, and another 12 hours straight the next.

I have often thought however, that YOU will never get there. You just don't have the proper attitude.

Merry Christmas! :D

Russ

James

Red Wire... Right Temple
Silver Member
I'm going to attempt, in vein I'm sure, to respond sincerely to you for the first time.

Your problem is not the sport, it is not in your equipment or your knowledge. Your problem exists independent of this game and will continue to exist until you acknowledge and deal with it. It will exist for any other endeavor you head down that requires such mental focus and application of knowledge.

You are beating yourself before you ever pick up a cue. You need to fix what is going on inside before any of your study and practice will payoff on the outside.

The people you should be talking to are not pool players.

I mean this all sincerely and I hope you take it that way.

Merry Christmas,
James

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
No, I never feel like that.

I am not trying to "get there". When I practice, I have fun. When I play I have fun. I buy nice equipment and cues because I think it is fun to play with and on nice stuff. I watch pool because I enjoy it. I read the magazines and post on the forums because I like reading and talking about it. I buy the books and learn things from other people because I want to get better, because to me, getting better is fun.

The frustration is gonna come, but if you are getting frustrated like this when just playing by yourself then this is not for you. It sounds like it's work to you. Do you like coming home and working when you get off work?

If you don't like it so much, just quit. What is your goal? You want to go pro I assume?

When it stops being fun you should think about doing something else for recreation.

NineBallNut

Silver Member
This game is major frustrating. Unfortunately, no matter how much you practice and work on your game, if you are not on top of things mentally, it won't matter. This is why I have recently given the game up. I found that I was not willing to put in the effort to be the best I could at the game.I went from playing 6 nights a week to not wanting to touch a cue. I was constantly unhappy and not enjoying the game. Will I play again someday? Maybe. But for me if I am not going to enjoy it, why bother.

So my advice to you DCP, is to take a step back and really decide wether it is worth the effort for you to become a strong player or do you just want to be a casual player. Working on only certain aspects of you game will leave holes that continue to frustrate you and limit your total progress. Nobody wants to be a quitter but sometimes you just gotta say fugg it!!! lol

Last edited:

kildegirl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool

DrCue'sProtege said:
just never going to get there? in spite of all the time and practice you put in at the table? in spite of all the nice equipment you have? in spite of all the lessons you take? in spite of the occassional really good night when you think its all starting to come together? in spite of all of the books/dvds/espn shows/magazines you accumulate?

DCP

USE A PROFESSIONAL AIMING SYSTEM, NO FRUSTRATION THERE.

HAL HOULE
NO CHARGE
484 623 4144

cubc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
become a dominant objectophelia over the 9 ball and when you get through the rack to get to the 9 ball hitting it with the cue ball and making it would be a form of you being dominant over the 9 ball and in turn satisfying your lonely needs giving you the drive an motivation to reach the 9 ball again!

I mean you've tried everything else and are failing miserably.. why not try that?

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Icon of Sin...I can assure you, that Mike's goal is NOT to "go pro"! IMO, he is simply like lots of others...always looking for the magic pill, magic tip, magic cue/video/book/instruction, etc. etc. etc....but probably taken a step farther than most (he seems to be unwilling or unable to accept, or apply knowledge as it is given or found). Compliment that with a neverending negative attitude about his own ability (or lack thereof), and you have a recipe for constant dissatisfaction, and unhappiness connected to the game of pool. jmo

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Icon of Sin said:
What is your goal? You want to go pro I assume?

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DrCue'sProtege said:

DCP

nope! you need to start playing other people instead of just the table in your house. put some pressure on yourself.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is no "there". No matter how good you get, unless you're the champion of the world, you're always going to run into people who can beat you and people you can beat. There will always be moments when you're the underdog or the favorite. All you can do is enjoy the ride no matter how good you are or how good you're going to be.

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
kildegirl said:
USE A PROFESSIONAL AIMING SYSTEM, NO FRUSTRATION THERE.

HAL HOULE
NO CHARGE
484 623 4144

Hal,

I implore you, don't do it...Some things just aren't worth it.

Koop

tpdtom

Really Old School
Silver Member
I'll say this. Just generalizing. I played and practiced quite hard for about 10 years. I reached A- , give or take. I saw a few others take up the game and reach A+ or AAA in a year. Granted, they are exceptional, but those are the individuals who reach the highest levels, along with those that start playing at 5 or 6 years old. Most have a ton of natural ability.

I quit playing altogether for 25 years. Now at 56 I'm back, and I think I've about reached where I was before the layoff. It's going to be a great struggle to improve further. I can play smarter, and I can virtually eliminate most glaring bad habits, but age is a big factor. All the instruction in the world can't make up for a lazy practitioner, or for someone who's not willing to be objective and change the basics that we've adopted which may be all wrong. We THINK they're fine, and often resent being told that they need to change. We're fond and proud of our basic style, and resist being told to change it.

I agree with the previous poster that a lot of it might be mental. Focus and concentration go back to your childhood, and your perceptions of competition. It's DEEP :rolleyes: . I wish you the best...Tom

kildegirl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hal Houle 484 623 4144

DrCue'sProtege said:

DCP
LET US PLAY WITH THE EFREN REYES AIMING SYSTEM. WHAT SAY YOU. NOTHING TO LOSE. ON MY DIME ON THE PHONE FOR AS LONG AS IT TAKES FOR YOU TO UNDERSTAND THE SYSTEM.

okinawa77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It wouldn't be worth doing, if it were easy. What I like about billiards is the endless possibilities. I know that I could play a lifetime, and not get bored with it. Don't focus so much on the ultimate end of the road. Just focus on improving every time you shoot. Even the best player in the world has room for improvement. Have you ever seen a player pocket 2 or 3 balls on every shot? Have you ever seen anyone Break and Run 100 games in a row? There is always another level of play to be achieved. Keep your love of the game in your heart, and you'll never lose. It's the journey that makes it worthwhile. The end reward is just icing on the cake.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
tpdtom...well said!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

tpdtom said:
All the instruction in the world can't make up for a lazy practitioner, or for someone who's not willing to be objective and change the basics that we've adopted which may be all wrong. We THINK they're fine, and often resent being told that they need to change. We're fond and proud of our basic style, and resist being told to change it.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ever Just Feel Your............ an idiot??

Yes, DCP it has come to that now. I DO feel that you are just a ball of negativity that likes to be kicked around.

Please stop posting.......

Russ...

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
DrCue'sProtege said:

DCP
Sounds like somebody needs to buy himself a new custom cue. :rolleyes:

our_auctionguy

The Wall.....
Silver Member
That works for me too.. most of the time

poolplayer2093 said:
nope! you need to start playing other people instead of just the table in your house. put some pressure on yourself.
I suck big time at practice most of the time and lose interest quickly in practicing 9 ball. On occasion, I get fired up and run a rack or two, and those are times when I feel like a champ and am seriously stroking well.

On the occasions where I can't seem to get fired up on 9 ball practice, I play 8 ball against myself playing both sides. I never fail to get serious playing 8 ball and on more occasions than not, the game ends with 1 or no opposing balls left on the table after a one or two inning game. Explain that. sometimes the game lasts longer because I even play defense against myself as I would in a real game.

If I find that I am sucking practicing 8 ball, I have to stop and evaluate whether I have something else on my mind messing with my concentration and attitude and should just quit for the night, or am just bored waiting for somebody to give me a decent challenge. Like most, I rise to the challenge when playng somebody else and on many an occasion somebody watching me practice has come up and offered me the nuts to play them and later regretted it.
I hate practicing.

Last edited: