How are lambros cues?

lilbukka

Registered
I was interested in getting a new lambros cue made and I wanted to no if any of you are familiar with his cues I hit with one years ago,and I like the hit then butt has any tried the new ultra joint?

Last edited:
F

Fred Agnir

lilbukka said:
I was interested in getting a new lambros cue made and I wanted to no if any of you are familiar with his cues I hit with one years ago,and I like the hit then butt has any tried the new ultra joint?

Get it. Great cue. I've not tried the new ultra joint, but if Mike feels he improve on the old Ultra Joint, he must have come up with a winner.

Fred

B

Bruce S. de Lis

Pardom MY Ignorance

Fred Agnir said:
Get it. Great cue. I've not tried the new ultra joint, but if Mike feels he improve on the old Ultra Joint, he must have come up with a winner.

Fred

What is a Ultra Joint :confused:

F

Fred Agnir

Bruce S. de Lis said:
What is a Ultra Joint :confused:

You can look it up on the Lambros website. In essence, it's a compression fitting. Mike was trying to get the maximum energy transfer through the joint area with the minimum vibration. Similar to the Schuler Joint in principle, but very different in design. The result is the same "hit" feel across the wide spectrum of speeds and english.

It's nice to see that Lambros continues in his quest for improvement. IMO, they (Schuler and Lambros) are the best engineered joints in the business. The jury is still out on the Universal Shaft, but it has the same goal.

Fred

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fred Agnir said:
IMO, they (Schuler and Lambros) are the best engineered joints in the business. The jury is still out on the Universal Shaft, but it has the same goal.

Fred

Fred,

Have you looked at the Layani joint? Are there any similarities?

Thanks,
Koop

F

Fred Agnir

Koop said:
Fred,

Have you looked at the Layani joint? Are there any similarities?

Thanks,
Koop

Different animal, but probably the same intentions. The Layani Joint is also a compression joint, but using a conical tapered-face fit rather than the more common flat-faced fit. The taper allows the Layani cue to have a surface contact area much larger than the flat-faced joint. IMO, it's technically more challenging because if it were done incorrectly, you'd get more vibration out of the joint. Fortunately, Thierry and partner did their homework, used proper materials (one has to compress compared to the other) and have come up with one of the best joints in the busines, IMO.

The downside is that their joint is non-standard. The pin is on the shaft, and of course, the conical look makes people second guess the whole idea. OTOH, Burton Spain made cues with the pin on the shaft as well.

Fred <~~~ happy to own a Layani Cue

JimBo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fred Agnir said:
It's nice to see that Lambros continues in his quest for improvement. IMO, they (Schuler and Lambros) are the best engineered joints in the business. The jury is still out on the Universal Shaft, but it has the same goal.

Fred

Hey Fred, what about the Layani??

Jim

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fred Agnir said:
Different animal, but probably the same intentions. The Layani Joint is also a compression joint, but using a conical tapered-face fit rather than the more common flat-faced fit. The taper allows the Layani cue to have a surface contact area much larger than the flat-faced joint. IMO, it's technically more challenging because if it were done incorrectly, you'd get more vibration out of the joint. Fortunately, Thierry and partner did their homework, used proper materials (one has to compress compared to the other) and have come up with one of the best joints in the busines, IMO.

The downside is that their joint is non-standard. The pin is on the shaft, and of course, the conical look makes people second guess the whole idea. OTOH, Burton Spain made cues with the pin on the shaft as well.

Fred <~~~ happy to own a Layani Cue

Thanks Fred.

Koop

lilbukka said:

most of his cues go to japan I think there very good quality and play well I not seen to many.They cost a bit from what I seen billiardwarehouse on line have a coulp nice ones.

GeraldG

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had a couple of older Lambros cues. They were very well made cues...workmanship is top-notch.

GeraldG

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lilbukka said:
Why did you get rid of them?

Because I didn't play with them and I didn't want to collect Lambros. I got one of them in a trade and the other one I bought in a pool hall.