APA Championship commentary is BRUTAL

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watching APA matches this weekend, commentary sounds ridiculous for the level of play. He's wrong 12 out of 10 calls. The main commentator, ( Alvin, I think), sounds to be grade school or 9th grade at best. Early on I muted the matches. Am I just hearing things wrong?

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you guys like most people I see complain our way to picky for a free stream lol if you were paying for it i get it because yeah he’s not that great

CCCue

Registered
Watching APA matches this weekend, commentary sounds ridiculous for the level of play. He's wrong 12 out of 10 calls. The main commentator, ( Alvin, I think), sounds to be grade school or 9th grade at best. Early on I muted the matches. Am I just hearing things wrong?

You are correct. One match he didn’t mute his mic and carried on several,personal conversations. Then he proceeds to tell how they should should the next shot based on his “Extensive” experience and of course they do it differently and he meekly says well I guess you can do it that way too. He does this over and over.

Sure it’s free streaming so you’re not going to get the cream of the crop, but t least have someone who knows how to mute a mic

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
Agreed

I agree, regardless of whether the stream is free or not - the commentator is a window into the sport, and when watching there were a lot of people in the chat that didn't really know what the tournament was, or much about pool.

These are the people that we should be enticing to learn more, pick up a cue, watch some more YouTube videos or anything, but the commentating was actually driving them away.

The commentating is often wrong which I could live with, but it seems like at least 50% of the time Alvin is talking to people passing by and having half conversations with folks.

I'm so tired of free, beta, or other being used to provide a lower quality product, you bet your ass if the APA thought they could charge for this stream they would. They make plenty of money and pretend to be ambassadors of the game, this tournament is a big deal and should be treated that way imo.

b

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yea I gotta agree. He is a 1 out of 10. He just does not have what it takes as a commentator.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Okay, you buncha wise guys.....
...how would y’all commentate a match where shot selection and shot execution are
more liable to be surprising than predictable?

I think Alvin is doing a decent job.

It would be a hell of a lot easier to commentate on the top players.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pt- I would never commentate. It would be horrible. But Alvin is sooo hard to listen to. For a guy thats been doing it that bad, for that long, I have no idea who would ask him to do it.

Liiiiiive baby live!
Just, no.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
All in all I think commentating would be pretty easy, just wait till after the shooter shoots and the results will steer your comments in to how brilliant or what a stooge the shooter is. :eek::eek::eek::clapping::clapping::clapping:

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
If you want better commentary, give Alvin the resource he needs to attract qualified people into the booth. Consider sending some money his way.

I think you guys like most people I see complain our way to picky for a free stream lol if you were paying for it i get it because yeah he’s not that great

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With the kind of money apa makes they could easily afford big truck and great commentary if they wanted.

I dont know who in their right mind would watch alvins inside pool material and say to themselves, we need to get this guy!

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you want better commentary, give Alvin the resource he needs to attract qualified people into the booth. Consider sending some money his way.

The APA people should be the ones paying for good commentators. That will never happen because their purpose for existing is to exploit the players while lining the owners pockets. All leagues do this but the APA is far and away the leader of the pack in that regard.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
So, it sounds like you believe the APA can afford to pay for good commentary, but not budgeting enough so Alvin afford to get proper talent.

The APA people should be the ones paying for good commentators. That will never happen because their purpose for existing is to exploit the players while lining the owners pockets. All leagues do this but the APA is far and away the leader of the pack in that regard.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
How do we know APA didn't offer other streamers like Big Truck, Upstate Al, Pat Fleming & Accustats. Inside Pool has been defunct for a couple of years, I believe Alvin is streaming on his own as he was passionate about his craft.

With the kind of money apa makes they could easily afford big truck and great commentary if they wanted.

I dont know who in their right mind would watch alvins inside pool material and say to themselves, we need to get this guy!

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know inside pool is gone, i was using it as a reference to his body of work.

No clue if they asked others and im with you on the idea of getting alvin the resources to have at least decent commentators. Watching his streams many times it does seem he has passion. It also seems he puts in MAJOR hours and has a good knowledge of the streaming equiptment.

I would just rather listen to a two hour compilation of nails on a chalkboard mixed with pink noise.

JC

Coos Cues
I know inside pool is gone, i was using it as a reference to his body of work.

No clue if they asked others and im with you on the idea of getting alvin the resources to have at least decent commentators. Watching his streams many times it does seem he has passion. It also seems he puts in MAJOR hours and has a good knowledge of the streaming equiptment.

I would just rather listen to a two hour compilation of nails on a chalkboard mixed with pink noise.

Alvin could grab locals from the crowd to do the commentary for free and it would be a 1000% improvement.

The guy obviously loves pool and is a decent human but simply has no talent either natural or learned for commentating on it. He works hard for almost no pay so I just lower the volume and cut him some slack.

JC

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Pt- I would never commentate. It would be horrible. But Alvin is sooo hard to listen to. For a guy thats been doing it that bad, for that long, I have no idea who would ask him to do it.

Liiiiiive baby live!
Just, no.

I’ve been asked to commentate a few times...I’ve turned them down ‘cause I don’t think
I would be very good at it. I can talk a lot about pool...and some people feel I know something.
But I only talk when I feel like it....and about things that interest me.

A commentator like Alvin has to do it on demand...and I think he keeps the ball rolling
in difficult situations....I’m putting him in the top 50% of his profession.

I’ve heard some commentators I’ve actually been embarrassed for....
....Alvin is not one of them....and he’s Liiiiive, Baby!!!