Pay for Play

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Indy car drivers and NASCAR drivers have long had to bring sponsorship money with them. Bobby Allison was a fantastic driver but equally important, his Coke sponsorship went wherever he did. Indy car drivers were in the same boat, no room for talented newcomers if they didn't come with a ready made sponsorship deal.

Things aren't always how they appear to be! There are more people that can drive a car well than seats to fill so teams can be pretty picky and driving ability alone doesn't get a ride.

Hu

I was watching some show about racing and they spoke of an American team- 60s? 70s?- That went to lemans to compete and did well.
They had a disagreement with their team about driving order and decided the fix was to buy the car. The team owner threw out a crazy number, to shut them down and they handed over cash and solved the driving order problem real fast-like.

Turned out the brothers were dealing drugs for money...had hidden NOS in the car and were all kinds of crooked.

Whaddya know about that?!

rossaroni

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, I remember my grandfather who was a pool player back when it was thriving in the late 50's, early 60's used to tell stories about how he would have to go to the coffee shop down the street from the pool hall to get wi-fi to place his bets.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I was thinking along these same lines when he mentioned the online gambling ban being the downfall.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
cheating is an old and honored tradition!

I was watching some show about racing and they spoke of an American team- 60s? 70s?- That went to lemans to compete and did well.
They had a disagreement with their team about driving order and decided the fix was to buy the car. The team owner threw out a crazy number, to shut them down and they handed over cash and solved the driving order problem real fast-like.

Turned out the brothers were dealing drugs for money...had hidden NOS in the car and were all kinds of crooked.

Whaddya know about that?!

Cheating is an old and honored tradition in racing. The funniest is cheating in plain sight. One team ran a three inch gas line from back to front of a NASCAR car. A fuel cell holding a half cup too much was cause for disqualification and all kinds of penalties but NASCAR never considered how much fuel all that three inch line held!

Nitrous was just getting common when I quit racing. It was plain as the nose on your face when it was being used. One cheater had a group of people around his new car complaining with the officials standing there too. "If anybody can find nitrous on this car I'll give it to them!"

A friend of mine never batted an eye, "Take off your bell housing."

Dead silence.

Hu

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Smokey Yunick was the fellow that got that idea patented.... Smokey Yunick was famous for innovations to a race car.

He also changed the roof line & moved the body to better the weight distribution. NASCAR started making templates & gages to check body lines.

Smokey also had the Basketball Fuel Tank. The oversize tank has an inflatable ball in the tank. For checkout, the ball was inflated & only 22 gallons was able to be pumped into the tank. After checkout the ball was deflated & the extra gas pumped in.

Smokey the Cheater was a real innovator http://digg.com/video/henry-smokey-yunick

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
rules were meant to be bent, sometimes broken

Smokey Yunick was the fellow that got that idea patented.... Smokey Yunick was famous for innovations to a race car.

He also changed the roof line & moved the body to better the weight distribution. NASCAR started making templates & gages to check body lines.

Smokey also had the Basketball Fuel Tank. The oversize tank has an inflatable ball in the tank. For checkout, the ball was inflated & only 22 gallons was able to be pumped into the tank. After checkout the ball was deflated & the extra gas pumped in.

Smokey the Cheater was a real innovator http://digg.com/video/henry-smokey-yunick

Smokey, Holman and Moody, Richard Childress, a long and distinguished list of others! When they first brought out the templates some of the cars could danged near go through them, sideways. When they started measuring ride height small holes were drilled in shock absorbers and hardened steel pins or drill bits put in them. The car was legal until the hard bump leaving the apron!

A new mechanic was in a panic when they came to inspect the race car engine for a car I was on the pit crew of. When he saw me coming he almost ran to me. "Which cylinder do we P&G??" I had to laugh at his panic. "Any of them, we are legal." A year later with a new crew chief the car proudly sported the cubic inches on the hood, "302 CI Sometimes !" As a former crew member I was welcome in the garage. I asked them how often they changed engines between the 302 and the 377 carrying weight for the 302. "Sometimes two, three times a week." No big deal, in a rush we could swap an engine in under thirty minutes. Some of the big track teams were getting fast enough that a rule was passed that the car had to have the same engine in it at the beginning and end of the race! I think Junior had it down to 22 minutes.

I might have badly bent a few rules but I never broke them on my own cars. Other people's cars, I had no such scruples. I considered the rulebook more of a general guideline.

Hu

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man's dilemma with RULES has always been funny, sad and/or downright questionable. I liked your post insertion about the "302 CI Sometimes", I'm sure folks who seen that inscription, are still laughing to this day.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
I heard about that!

Kinda funny, I heard about that when it was going on. Never heard names or the final outcome until now. I knew a man traveled the gulf coast area and then some. Came to the race track with rig and race car in tow. Did that a couple years and never dropped the car off the trailer.

The local racers were in the import business, coke. When they were busted the owner of the plane walked, didn't even have the plane taken. The other two or three didn't fair too well. It wasn't particularly secret, except the details. All the cops and runners knew each other. One major dealer went on a diving trip down to Cancun, somewhere in Mexico. His companions were four of the state troopers from the narcotics division. Bold, bold, on Gary's part, would have been awful easy for him to be swimming with the fishies for a long time! Lots of funny stories and most lived to play another day.

Hu