Melbourne, FL Action

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I might be going down there sometime not too far...

What is the action scene like and where are the players? I know we have some peeps from there that post on AZB, but cant remember who...
TYIA!:)

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
Melbourne has lame action. Golden Cue on Babcock st was dead as doornail the last time I went.

If your gonna be in Brevard County, the best spot is Friday Night on Merritt Island. There is a six ball tournament that brings out the best players in Brevard. The pool hall is more of a sports bar and its called Chalkies. The tournament is played on 4x8s and they have a few 9 ft gold crowns off to the side. Last time I was there there were a few people who would gamble but its all like $5-10 a game action. You might get played some one pocket but only by one guy. No world beaters there although I think Bill Ferguson lives in the area. Dave Favor use to live there but moved I think. Jeannie Seaver, who was probably one of the few there that would actually match up and play has moved to South Florida. She told me recently that Brevard is the place to move to if you want to have your pool game go to the shitter.

PROG8R

Gator Nation
Silver Member
What area are you comming from?

Capone's in Spring hill has lots of players (IPT and UPA), Players billiard on Aurora Rd has a few strong players, You can catch action at Chalkies in Merritt Island, and there are a few Players in Cocoa, SHooters on Clearlake Rd., and at RAX in Titusville, they are always good for a C-note or two.
Orlando was the hot spot for action at the old Pro-billiards, but they are gone now, I don't know where they went, maybe Jimmy's on OBT, or Dukes.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was gonna go last weekend, but I got drunk , had a hangover, and stayed home nursing it!:D

So whats up for this weekend?...

G.

PROG8R

Gator Nation
Silver Member
Friday night in Merritt Island

uwate said:
Melbourne has lame action. Golden Cue on Babcock st was dead as doornail the last time I went.

If your gonna be in Brevard County, the best spot is Friday Night on Merritt Island. There is a six ball tournament that brings out the best players in Brevard. The pool hall is more of a sports bar and its called Chalkies. The tournament is played on 4x8s and they have a few 9 ft gold crowns off to the side. Last time I was there there were a few people who would gamble but its all like $5-10 a game action. You might get played some one pocket but only by one guy. No world beaters there although I think Bill Ferguson lives in the area. Dave Favor use to live there but moved I think. Jeannie Seaver, who was probably one of the few there that would actually match up and play has moved to South Florida. She told me recently that Brevard is the place to move to if you want to have your pool game go to the shitter.

It is a 7-ball tourney and it usually fills by 6:15 or 6:30 and play usually runs into the morning 2:00 or so.

JG-in-KY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Used to be....

**A lot of action back in the day. I remember the tournaments at the Golden Cue in the 80s. Just a weekend tourney and first paid about 1K but was it tough! Sigel, Mizerak, Strickland, David Howard, Buddy, Steve Cook, George Brundt, Bobby Williams, Bill Stigall, Gary Pinkowski, Charlie Justice, C.M. Lee, Tommy Kennedy, Jimmy Reid, DiLiberto, Gullyassy, Tommy Brown, John DiToro and many others. Sweaters delight. I believe Pete Ohman was part owner and Dawn Hopkins even worked there.
** Like I said , not a lot of money but the talent was there. I remember going to one of the tournies with two guys from the local pool room in miami. They were both "B" players and were playing for 1 and 2 hundred a rack. The champions were all drooling at the mouth trying to get in the game. My good friend "little Steve" (all of 5'4)would tell them in his gruff voice "this is a private game!" Too funny. Remember those days, Voodoo? Too much fun.

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
LOL this sure brings back memories....
lil Stevie always looked like he was one beer short of a 12 pack when in fact he was dead sober. I wished I played one pocket back then, he use to woof at me all the time to "rack 15 and choose your hole"

The Golden Cue tournament is where I saw Earl snap two butts over his knee in one day.

Last edited:

rjbigfish

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Silver Member
I can find you a game from $2 a game 9 ball up to $100 one pocket. PM me if you would like to set something up.

Voodoo Daddy

One Pocket 101
JG-in-KY said:
**A lot of action back in the day. I remember the tournaments at the Golden Cue in the 80s. Just a weekend tourney and first paid about 1K but was it tough! Sigel, Mizerak, Strickland, David Howard, Buddy, Steve Cook, George Brundt, Bobby Williams, Bill Stigall, Gary Pinkowski, Charlie Justice, C.M. Lee, Tommy Kennedy, Jimmy Reid, DiLiberto, Gullyassy, Tommy Brown, John DiToro and many others. Sweaters delight. I believe Pete Ohman was part owner and Dawn Hopkins even worked there.
** Like I said , not a lot of money but the talent was there. I remember going to one of the tournies with two guys from the local pool room in miami. They were both "B" players and were playing for 1 and 2 hundred a rack. The champions were all drooling at the mouth trying to get in the game. My good friend "little Steve" (all of 5'4)would tell them in his gruff voice "this is a private game!" Too funny. Remember those days, Voodoo? Too much fun.

Yeah...Lil Steve beat that creep, all the way home the creep threatened to shot Steve with the gun in the glove box. Lil Steve removed the bullets Fruday night on the way up, HAHAHAHAHA. Wasnt anything to have a tournament there with $500 added and champions crawled outta the woodwork. Watched Pete <my cuemaker buddy> play New York Blackie some pocket-a-piece, learned alot in that room and met one of my best friends in that room too...fond memories is right!!!

Watched Toby Sweet, The MIZ, Richie Ambrose, 3-fingered Ronnie and a slew of others put on 9-Ball clinics during those tournaments. Living through one of Corrine Hoffman's players meeting was another feat in itself <she always yelled at one of us>. Partied with tons of players like The Polish Prince Jon Dovinsky & the Mighty Glove Gene Catron. Truely a part of my life I would rather die for than release. Me and JG-in-KY put some mile on a few cars in them days!!!

poolhall maven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Living through one of Corrine Hoffman's players meeting was another feat in itself <she always yelled at one of us>.
Beg to differ voodoodaddy--Corinne Hoffman never ran a tournament at the Golden Cue. John Daughtridge the owner and Pete Ohman his partner ran these tournaments for 8 years.

Voodoo Daddy

One Pocket 101
poolhall maven said:
Living through one of Corrine Hoffman's players meeting was another feat in itself <she always yelled at one of us>.
Beg to differ voodoodaddy--Corinne Hoffman never ran a tournament at the Golden Cue. John Daughtridge the owner and Pete Ohman his partner ran these tournaments for 8 years.

Sorry Maven, your clueless of the history of that pool room then. Corrine Hoffman {R.I.P} ran tournaments all over Florida during the inception of the Florida Tour from the early 80's til the early 90's. Go ask John, his wife Tracy, Pete or Diane, Dave Favor, Charlie or Joe at Aurora rd. The Golden Cue had three tournaments a year...Super Bowl weekend, Memorial Day weekend and Labor Day weekend and I never missed one!! Pete and I were just talking about it this weekend at the EXPO. Get your facts together when you differ with Voodoo, lol!!!

Voodoo~~laughin' cause its all in good fun but you are wrong Maven!!

poolhall maven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Indeed it is all in fun, but it is you who is sadly mistaken!
Corinne ran tournaments through out Florida after 1988. John and Pete ran the tournaments successfully with out Corinne's help (God rest her soul). And you are correct that the golden cue hosted 3 tournaments per year until John's youngest son was born in 1988.
As I am a close personal friend of Pete and John I can assure you that I know all the history of the Golden Cue. It is appreciated that you enjoyed the action and the tournaments there, I did too.
I read you were at the Omen booth in VF when Barbara was selling her nutz...would you care to share your identity or should I ask Pete?

SkippyFL

Who is this guy?
Silver Member
Plenty of action here if you're interested. PM when you are looking to make the trip and I can set you up with some games. BTW... the Golden Cue is by no means dead, you'll get as much action as you want over there. 1 Pocket, 9 ball, 10 ball, straght pool... theres always someone wanting a game.

Voodoo Daddy

One Pocket 101
poolhall maven said:
Indeed it is all in fun, but it is you who is sadly mistaken!
Corinne ran tournaments through out Florida after 1988. John and Pete ran the tournaments successfully with out Corinne's help (God rest her soul). And you are correct that the golden cue hosted 3 tournaments per year until John's youngest son was born in 1988.
As I am a close personal friend of Pete and John I can assure you that I know all the history of the Golden Cue. It is appreciated that you enjoyed the action and the tournaments there, I did too.
I read you were at the Omen booth in VF when Barbara was selling her nutz...would you care to share your identity or should I ask Pete?

Sell em? No, she gave me a monster bag and I shared it with Dave, his girl, Ryan, Pete & Sean. Pete will let you in on the Voodoo secret, HAHAHAHAHA!!!

JG-in-KY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Florida Tour

For what its worth the first year of the Florida Tour was 1988. There were 11 stops including The Golden Cue in Melbourne in january 88. Tom Brown beat John DiToro in the finals. Steve Cook was 3rd. Corinne was running the tour. Anyway it was a great tour and really pumped up the pool scene in florida.

poolhall maven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
action in Melbourne

For what its worth the first year of the Florida Tour was 1988. There were 11 stops including The Golden Cue in Melbourne in january 88. Tom Brown beat John DiToro in the finals. Steve Cook was 3rd. Corinne was running the tour. Anyway it was a great tour and really pumped up the pool scene in florida.
You may be correct on the dates of the beginning of the Florida Tour, but Voodoodaddy is correct that the Golden Cue hosted 3 tournaments per year from 1980-1988. But, I'll once again state--Corinne Hoffman never ran a tournament at the Golden Cue. John and Pete ran each of the tournaments for the 8 years. They quit running their tournaments when Corinne started the Florida tour. Why would they need someone to come into their poolroom and run a tour that was already successful.
PM