begining to think i dont have it anymore

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whatever "it " is that inspires you to play your best. I don't know if its old age "64 " . Burnout..cut back from 4 nights a week a couple months ago to 2 nights a week.

I play double jeapordy " both 8 and 9 ball the same night and i have noticed a pattern lately. If I lose my first match....whether it be 8 or 9 ball I come back with a vengeance my next match. If i win my first match its like ho hum...whatever....the second match and usually lose.

It really hit me today on how I seem to have lost it. I played in a captains Vegas qualifier tournament and came out strong for a while and then it seemed I just did not have "it " the rest of the tournament.

I had an 8 ball break and run my first rack. Had a table run after my opponents dry break in 9 ball my second rack. I Los 2 of my next 7 racks I played but although I won 5 out if those 7 I was not dominating like I started out in the tournament.

I thought about taking some time off but I love playing pool and have no desire to take up another hobby to keep from going bat chit crazy sitting around the house .

Any of you guys feel like the older you get the less fire you have in your belly ?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whatever "it " is that inspires you to play your best. I don't know if its old age "64 " . Burnout..cut back from 4 nights a week a couple months ago to 2 nights a week.

I play double jeapordy " both 8 and 9 ball the same night and i have noticed a pattern lately. If I lose my first match....whether it be 8 or 9 ball I come back with a vengeance my next match. If i win my first match its like ho hum...whatever....the second match and usually lose.

It really hit me today on how I seem to have lost it. I played in a captains Vegas qualifier tournament and came out strong for a while and then it seemed I just did not have "it " the rest of the tournament.

I had an 8 ball break and run my first rack. Had a table run after my opponents dry break in 9 ball my second rack. I Los 2 of my next 7 racks I played but although I won 5 out if those 7 I was not dominating like I started out in the tournament.

I thought about taking some time off but I love playing pool and have no desire to take up another hobby to keep from going bat chit crazy sitting around the house .

Any of you guys feel like the older you get the less fire you have in your belly ?
I'm not far behind you at 62. For myself, I'd can say a definitive NO to your last question - I still have as strong a desire as ever to compete and try to play my best. I currently have serious heads up 9-ball sessions with two different players of similar skill level to myself, on Mondays and on Fridays. They both can be up to 9 hour sessions. I may have a 2-3 hour practice session on Wednesday night in between these two long sessions but that's it - I only play 3 days a week but nearly 20 hours a week, which is more than enough at my age. I find these long head-to-head sessions on a regular basis to be far more meaningful and beneficial to my game than playing in our weekly 8-ball and 9-ball handicapped tournaments against players of various skill levels.

I've accepted I'm no longer learning new stuff. I know how to execute the shots, positions and safeties - it's just a matter of doing it consistently, which is the challenge. I would tend to agree that at our age, our inconsistent performance may relate to not being able to maintain that 100% focus / concentration for long stretches of time, but isn't that a similar issue for pool players of all ages?

Last edited:

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Mammalian males are programmed by nature for raw aggression and competition for mates/resources as long as their physical capabilities allow them to do so.

As they get older, they either get the crap kicked out of them by younger males, and go on to live short solitary lives after they get run off, or their aggressive tendencies are biologically muted so that they can continue to contribute to the passing on of prime genes by protecting/nurturing the young in the group.

Generally, in humans, it's the latter. That's why Grandpa seems like the greatest guy in the world, when he was a strict disciplinarian as a father. His role is not to discipline now, but to look after the young, so the mother/father pair can go out and kill stuff and bring it home for everyone to eat.

Circle of life, and all that. For those of us who started off way more aggressive (like me, for example...), it's a little bit easier to hold onto it a little into middle age. I have been told (as a complement) by those I have been on teams with, that I am quite high strung, and my absolute hatred of losing is very noticeable. And I still get pretty argumentative on here, I acknowledge.

And that's okay by me, because the alternative is just to not care anymore. And that is death for any pool player.

If you've lost that killer instinct in pool, you've probably noticed a little bit of softening in your overall personality. Losing a hand of spades probably doesn't bother you as much as it used to. Or someone driving slow in front of you.

If that is the case, you CAN get back that hard edge, but it will take active conditioning of your mind set. You have to invent a reason why getting out the FIRST shot MATTERS. When we were young, it was natural, as we were seeking to prove our virility to anyone around, and to prove to our fellow competitor that we were dominant.

Now that you may not "naturally" care about dominance, you have to train for that mindset mentally. An interesting example of this is Danny McGoorty's mindset when competing, even as an older man. He made himself HATE his opponent, no matter who it was. He mentioned he "had a lot of natural hatred." That hate made him play hard until he simply couldn't physically play any more.

Last edited:

arcstats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I get where you're coming from. I'm nearing 64, but have only seriously been playing pool for 8+ years. 90% of my play and practice is straight pool, with some snooker thrown in as well. I play some 10 ball, but have no use for 9 ball (too much ball smashing rewards). I play those games because it requires you to make decisions every shot as opposed to rotation games, which mandate what you must shoot next (I've never been big on the idea of being told what to do, ha ha).

I sometimes struggle to maintain focus in straight pool, but I think it is due to inexperience as opposed to age. I like the aspect of where a miss can potentially be catastrophic to the outcome. I also try to learn something new or improve on a specific shot every week. Doesn't always happen, but it's a goal nonetheless.

I used to play a lot of golf (4-5 per week, club member) up until about 3 years ago, but currently I only play 2-3 times a month for social enjoyment only. I now feel the same way about golf as you do about pool. I can still shoot in the 70's (something 80% of golfers would give their left you-no-what to do), but I no longer get any buzz out of it. I spent a lot of time thinking about why I soured on golf (considering what a significant role it has played in my life), and I came to the conclusion my game simply cannot get any better, no matter how much time or effort I put into it. Talent wise, I've maxed out. Therefore it now bores me and I could care less about the results when I do play. Age played no part in this attitude change towards the game.

But I do not feel that way about pool. It is a fascinating, mind stimulating game. Only physical ailments (eyesight, the shakes, etc) should diminish your ability to want to play if your mind can still think, analyze, and maintain interest. If your interest cannot be maintained, don't beat yourself up. Your current view of pool is OK; accept it. Just don't make your age out to be the culprit of your current attitude towards the game, because it is not the cause.

knifemakermike

Registered
Just enjoy the game. Taking anything too seriously can take he joy out of it. I’ve been playing pool for 29 years and I still suck at it. I can’t compete with top players by that doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy the game more than anyone. I love just playing in my man cave or the rare opportunity I get to go hang at the only pool hall left in my city.

It’s about what makes you happy, play for fun or try hard to compete. Just as long as you like doing it is what matters.

dafatman

Registered
This was posted on AZ some time ago. It described my feelings towards pool, at age 67.

“As I've aged ( and for you youngsters out there, yup... you too. you're on the list: tick, tick, tick ), I've moved into that area and time of life where physically, little things are going wrong and, seemingly more and more frequently, the little things are becoming not-so-little-things. And, yeah, I deal with them, just like everyone else. And as the years flow by, I find myself thinking more and more about the inescapable truth that, eventually, and maybe even not-too-terribly-far-down-the-road, I'm not going to be around. Ok, everyone thinks about that at some time in their lives, I get that. But as you slowly move into the "twilight years", this stuff seems to become a bit more... real. A bit closer to home, as it were. “

“And, so, pool... and this is the ridiculous part. No matter what issues I'm having, no matter what little things become bigger things, I've discovered this sneaky, unexplainable feeling that, as long as I keep playing pool, I'll be ok. I have nothing, of course, to justify that. No doctor or philosopher or priest has said to me "Go... and play pool. And nothing will harm you." But, that said, that's exactly how I feel. It's almost like magic. I wake up, I think about what needs done today, then I decide what time I'll grab my cue, jump in the car, and head to the pool room. And I know... I KNOW, that as long as I can make it there, put my cue together, powder up and start making balls, nothing can touch me. Nothing can bother me. Nothing can affect me. It's just the Eternal Me and all those beautiful colored balls clicking and clacking as they roll around the table. It's an elixir and a medicine and it's potent. And nothing can hurt me or bring me down. It's my lifeline, in almost a literal sense of the word. My fountain of youth. Not to keep me young, per se. But more to keep anything bad from happening. And at my core? Without even trying to convince myself? I know it's true. “

“So, yeah... pool. My best friend. My doctor. My philosopher. My priest. And someday, hopefully way down the road, when I do check out, it will be moments after making that last nine in the side. I couldn't think of a better way for this movie to end. So, we'll see. With any luck, it'll be something like that.”

This felt so much like i wrote it that i had to share it.������

Rack ‘em!!

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I am about ready to quit pool all together, I seldom go to a pool room any more and haven't played on my table in a year or two.
When I do talk myself into going out to play , it's the same story the last 5 years , a bunch of D players screaming and hollering at each other about a dollar nine ball game or a 5 dollar one pocket race to 3.
I have other things I would rather do when I feel well enough.
Even sitting on the patio and watching the grass grow has become more fun.

Last edited:

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You gotta find a way to stay motivated.
Bet more
Play new people
Play different games
Take a break

Good to have realistic goals for a year, 3 and 5. So you cab see you are moving forward.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Like my granddaddy always told me "you need a trip to the woodshed".

What does the woodshed have to do with your question? Well, find a pro....or at least a VERY strong player and jump on them with both feet and bet something just a tad over what you normally play for. Dont ask for weight, act as if your playing a buddy or something. Dont quit after one set....play till you get that "it" back..... or go broke, which ever comes first.

This is what I do on a somewhat regular basis:

Even if I "think" my game, mental state, physical condition etc...etc is good at the time.....if an extremely strong player or "pro" is in my area and is willing to play....lol.... I jump on him like a duck on a junebug.

I love the Rocket city opens in Huntsville Alabama. There is always top players such as Dennis, Alex, Warren....etc...etc... I go up to them and say "if you have time between matches, I would be willing to play you ANY game for (insert your price) without weight.

Also, toward the end of the tournament, it's easy to see which pros are more likely to play cheaper sets since they just went two and out or just missed the money.....or whatever reason.....such as the player they came with is still in tournament but they got put out...lol.....they'll have plenty of time and WILL NOT turn down a money match from an unknown amateur as long as it's worth their time. BTW, after being putout....them setting around pays NODDA so, they always play.

To me, that's a trip to the woodshed. It sucks to get hammered but I always leave with a different outlook, attitude.....etc... than I had before the trip.....just like I did when old dad took me to the shed. If you've never tried it, try it, you may not regret it.

It has NOT ONCE been a disappointment to me, not in the least.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

In the big furnace of anything the flame will go out!! Renew it. Find new life. I took up OnePocket. I play for fun with stronger players if possible. It is the best 3-4 hours of pool I have ever played. If I have a bad day...tomorrow will be a good day. 72Years old and staying around for spite ....and playing as much pool as I can while I can.
Find a quality game and do your best.

JC

Coos Cues
I thought I was done about a month ago. Had the flu and when I recovered I could no longer see shots. Was missing routine shots by a half a diamond. Was very frustrated.

Then one day I was reading and realized my vision was weird. Turns out I had lost a contact during my illness and replaced it with the wrong one when not paying attention. My dominant eye had a contact lens in it that was 1.5 diopters too weak causing the other eye to try to take over.

Put the right lens in and I was back to normal.

Whew it was a close call with the end!

My fargo dropped 8 points during those three weeks of league play.

JC

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Try buying a new cue and switch to straight pool/ It may light the fire.

arcstats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the big furnace of anything the flame will go out!! Renew it. Find new life. I took up OnePocket. I play for fun with stronger players if possible. It is the best 3-4 hours of pool I have ever played. If I have a bad day...tomorrow will be a good day. 72Years old and staying around for spite ....and playing as much pool as I can while I can.
Find a quality game and do your best.

And if one-pocket doesn't work, you can then do the next best thing and park yourself in front of a white painted wall and watch it slowly turn yellow.

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am 79 and soon to be 80. I know the day is coming and thought it was here a few times in the last couple years, but won’t give it up. I still play in tournaments and gamble, mostly at one pocket, but will play a little 9 ball or three cushion for a few bucks on occasion.

My one pocket game was getting weaker so I started playing more rotation games just to fire some balls in and try and get my stroke back. We have quite a few low entry fee tournaments here at Hard Times in Sacramento and I can play and compete without it costing me too much $. :D

I think you have to find the desire to compete and balance it out where you play and have a good time. I started playing league eight ball again this year and am having a good time with it. I never drank while playing serious pool and still don’t, but once a week I play in this local league, have a couple beers and just enjoy. It is competitive, but not like gambling or the bigger tournaments.

I spend 20/30 hours a week playing pool and I am not ready to give that up, but I won’t play if I can’t compete and right now I don’t have anything else I want to take its place. I have to work harder at it now, but if that is what it takes, you have to do it.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Hey lo, I'm sorry to hear that. You're one of the more involved people that I've ever come across so I wouldn't be surprised to hear
that you might be just a little burned out, I think it happens to pretty much everyone. You could take up a new game, get a new cue,
try something like that to light a fire, you never know what might work. Take the summer off from leagues, only play when you want
to and if you don't feel like it, then don't play.

As for the new games, for some people one pocket or straight pool work out great. They get a few rounds under their belt and they're hooked,
can't get enough, for me it just seemed like one pocket and straight pool, even 10 ball just moved so slow, watching or playing I couldn't gain
the proper appreciation for it. I think that you and I play mainly on bar tables so anything but 8 ball or 9 ball is a tough transition to the 7 foot surface.

I would bet you probably sacrifice a lot for your teams, probably an excellent team mate. That can be a cause for burnout. Try being a little more selfish,
it may be that it's just time for you to take the next step, the next jump in level of skill. Maybe play a little more for yourself instead of the team, and if
you can't make it sometimes, or if you just feel like you can't make it then don't go.

I have however noticed something else about you and your time line is remarkably similar to mine. I try to find topics here in the main forum to get involved
in just about every day, it doesn't happen. The main forum has changed quite a bit. I joined I think right at the end of the hay day, and not that there aren't
some great posters now, but things have changed since then. The Lock Society has all but died, JB and Lou aren't planning their next cage match to the death.
We rarely, if ever see any of those guys around here. So, seeking out more forum interaction many of us venture over to NPR. Some of you might thrive there,
for me - huge mistake, but it's like a car accident. You can't just drive by, you have to look, or heroin or meth, and can be just as bad for you. You're compelled
to be involved somehow or can easily become addicted, and lo, I have noticed you frequenting lately NPR.

This is a little of a different take on your "burnout" but maybe, just maybe that might have something to do with it. The rule for participation in NPR is not to take
anything personally and remember it's an internet forum, it means absolutely nothing. A hard thing to remember if you feel like your personal beliefs are being attacked.

Anyways, the difficult thing for me was it was hard to believe that we all, with things in common, it was hard to believe that we could be that hateful to each other,
still is hard to believe and accept that's how we talk to each other.

In many ways I'm a hyper sensitive, I over analyze and I know I should avoid NPR like it was a plague, but like I said - it's compelling. After visiting NPR for a little
while I was so, I dunno.... moved(?) discouraged (?) by the whole NPR, the angry people, the way we treat each other in there, by our contemporaries that also
play pool, that I just wanted to quit. Not the website, but playing pool.

I'm not saying that you're anything like me, or over sensitive, or anything like that, but I think that to certain people NPR can have a really adverse effect. If it was NPR
on the Denver Bronco webpage I don't think it would have bothered me, but pool is part of my identity, it's a really personal thing to me, maybe to you too. I think that's
why it bothered me so much. Anyway, just a thought.

Last edited:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I get it. Happens to me, too. Doing anything a lot for a long time will cause some burnout. And you were playing a ton, for quite a while.

Cut back even more for a while, maybe only play one night. I'm betting that after a session or so off, you'll be looking to add more nights again. That, or you'll have your answer, and the desire just isn't there any more.

I'm betting on the former, not the latter.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member

For pool, I've never really had the "fire in my belly". I started playing pool semi-seriously at age 53, and now that I'm on the cusp of 66 I just want to play the game for fun. Tired of the league night opponents with their game faces and attitudes. Tired of hearing about some dream trip to Vegas. Never, ever do I want or need another trophy. Just give me a good friend that plays as good or better than me and if he (or she) will come over to play or meet me at the pool hall that's all I'll ever need. I'm just not a very competitive person by nature when it concerns pool.

That said, It does make me feel better to win than it does to lose, but not by much. My goal when I play pool is to shoot up to my capabilities. If I shoot well and win it feels nice. If I shoot well and lose, I'm okay with it. If I shoot bad and win or lose, I'm not happy with myself.

Here's the strange thing. If you're fishing in my boat with me I will try my best to catch more and bigger fish than you. If you are sitting on the bench on the firing line at the shooting range I will try to shoot smaller groups than you. But...catching less fish or shooting smaller groups won't make me feel bad or cause me to lose any sleep at night because I simply enjoy doing these things regardless.

So, the short answer to your quoted question is yes...but the fire was really never there to start with.

Have fun and enjoy it while you can, lorider. We're in the 4th quarter of our lives and who needs the stress?

Maniac