lathe question need some help please

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Hi Dale, I guess I was thinking more along Canadian prices for what he has.
Whenever you see a used wood lathe around here, they are usually around
the $150 mark to start. And with it being a shop smith type lathe they can go for considerably more.

Where there is a will, there is a way tho.

sharkster

ADD Oh look a chicken
Silver Member
Todd

Todd's username is Tsp&b. Great guy, very reputable.
If you can't afford to replace someones shaft when you mess it up, you can't afford to even think about tip replacement.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
I was kicking around the idea of taking a bench top drill press turning it on its side and building a live center and work rest for it to do tips and clean and sand shafts. All I need to buy will be some arbors for the different pin sizes and I think I will be in business.
The only thing that worries me is the the vibration of the press, the cheaper ones will rattle your teeth out of your head.

As far as a old wood working lathe you will have to convert the chuck somehow to hold the shaft. All the old wood lathes I have used had a screw on style chuck. I would rather use a 3 or 4 jaw chuck for this type of work.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

rackemky

I was kicking around the idea of taking a bench top drill press turning it on its side and building a live center and work rest for it to do tips and clean and sand shafts. All I need to buy will be some arbors for the different pin sizes and I think I will be in business.
The only thing that worries me is the the vibration of the press, the cheaper ones will rattle your teeth out of your head.

As far as a old wood working lathe you will have to convert the chuck somehow to hold the shaft. All the old wood lathes I have used had a screw on style chuck. I would rather use a 3 or 4 jaw chuck for this type of work.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

i see im not alone lol thats good yes i have spoke with todd in the past he has a good thing going. that is the route i was going to go just couldnt come up with enough money. $400 to $500 for basic starter and now its a no go i am only working 20 hours a week. so FOR FUN and my own spare cues and entertainment maybe i can make it work. if and when i raise the funds i will be in touch with todd or bassel. i have done homework here its not like im blind, been in the game since early 90's.

thanks to everyone though for your support input is how we learn things