America's Most Wanted segment on Mike Surber

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hey BigTruck
I'm dvr'ing the show and going to copy it to dvd. I will try to upload it to my computer and to youtube ( if utube lets me ). I'll get you a file or a dvd. Just let me know where to send it.
Thanks for all you do on you streams.

Thanks. I will air it on every show.

I missed the show cause I'm working in Tallahassee and really look forward to seeing it.

I'll pm you my address. A flash drive would be the best.

Ray

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just watched the episode. Man it really bummed me out........

Yep, first time I heard (and saw) the details of his death. To see him sprawled on the floor like that turned my stomach. A very good guy murdered by a SOB!

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I was involved in a AMW show several years ago.
After the show, a ton of calls came in and they had the guy within an hour.

Lets keep our fingers crossed that there were some calls tonight.
If there were, they are going to follow up on the leads.
Thats all they need is one good one.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I liked the presentation on Mike as a poolplayer, but it was sickening to watch and hear the details.
AMW did a nice job, they should get some leads.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
after mulling this amw piece over some more I'm feeling pretty good that the noose has to be getting tighter for "Jericho Cooper". Nice touch, btw, that they showed the sign in front of the Atlanta music studio with the actual Jericho Cooper's name on it.

how many times have we been in vulnerable positions as a result of our interactions in and around pool halls? It was interesting how Doc and The Giant Killer both said they thought, right away, 'what's Mike doing leaving with that guy?'

The point being, good street smarts will get you a long way. Unfortunately, it's a messed up world we live in.

Just a couple of weeks ago, a close buddy of mine, I'll call him 'g-man', was playing by himself here at a CT pool hall and was approached by 2 strangers who were badgering him to get into a money game but he wasn't interested. They persisted to the point where he had to tell them to leave him the "F" alone.

In the parking lot on his way to his car, approx 30 minutes later, these same two thugs came out from the shadows and demanded g-man hand over his money. He ended up knocking one to the ground with a punch to the mouth and then, in fact, had to use a knife on the other guy. :eek:

g-man had just broken up with his longtime gf the night before and simply wanted to be left alone. They picked the wrong fellow to fool with that night and got exactly what they deserved, imo. :thumbup:

be smart, and not just at pool halls, in minimizing your exposure to such risks.

I wonder what it was this "Cooper" guy said to Mike Surber that was so enticing that he left with him.

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I wonder what it was this "Cooper" guy said to Mike Surber that was so enticing that he left with him.

best,
brian kc

This question has plagued me to no end. I can't tell you how many times I've asked myself that question. Mike trusted very few people. He was very street smart and it just doesn't make sense.

BIG THANKS TO John Walsh and America's Most Wanted for airing this segment and for all they do for catching scum bags.

Maybe when they catch the guy he will tell why Mike trusted him enough to leave the pool room with the guy, to drive the killer around in his vehicle, to take the killer to his attorney's office, to chauffeur him around town and finally, to bring the killer to Mike's home, maybe more than once, since Mike's cues were found in his vault.

gulfportdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the segment was very well produced by Tom Morris, Jr. of Washington, D.C. The story line and editing were first rate.

The problem all along has been that there has not been a clear photograph of the assumed perpetrator. If there had been, he might have been caught by now. And he would certainly be apprehended following the AMW segment, had they a better pic. Hopefully someone will recognize the guy from the details.

I was disappointed that they said the suspect is 5' 8" to 5' 11". He is actually 5' 6" to 5' 9"-- tops. Here is a poor picture of the two of them as they left Skeeter's. As you can see, "Cooper" is only slightly taller than is Mike, who was only 5' 4". The top of the lettering on the door is exactly 5' 6". I measured it.:
Mike-Cooper.jpg

IMO they should have made more of the suspect's M.O. He seems to like to select smaller men for his victims. Before he approached Mike that afternoon, he had been playing pool with another guy who was small and overweight. The guy had obviously had been a potential victim. He'll never know how lucky he was.

I'm hoping it'll make YouTube, so it can be linked to. There is non-animated coverage of the show on the AMW site (www.AMW.com), but I couldn't see that they've archived the video segment. If anyone notices it put up on YouTube, please let us know.

Doc

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Does anyone know if they traced that credit card he used that was no good? Probably was stolen anyway...but still worth knowing where it came from. Johnnyt

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
This question has plagued me to no end. I can't tell you how many times I've asked myself that question. Mike trusted very few people. He was very street smart and it just doesn't make sense.

BIG THANKS TO John Walsh and America's Most Wanted for airing this segment and for all they do for catching scum bags.

Maybe when they catch the guy he will tell why Mike trusted him enough to leave the pool room with the guy, to drive the killer around in his vehicle, to take the killer to his attorney's office, to chauffeur him around town and finally, to bring the killer to Mike's home, maybe more than once, since Mike's cues were found in his vault.

Sometimes you get lulled into thinking everybody is cool.
I think multiple events came together at the same time.
Mike was trying to help the guy, showing an incredible amount of trust, and maybe he needed someone to drive his other car
home when he picked it up at his golfing buddies house.
Mike may of also thought he was bringing his attorney friend a potential client, again showing an unusual amount of trust.
There probably wasn't a lot of action at Skeeters, so he figured what the heck, and left with this killer con-man.
This killer knows his way around a pool hall (his stance looked like he was a bar player), and possibly conned Mike by telling him
that he knew where some action was.
I don't know, but there had to be more than one reason for Mike to leave with that creep.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I used my DVR to record the show, hope the publicity, & watcher of AMW help catch this guy who is the suspect in the case. This is the first time I saw AMW in like 10-15 years, but they did a good job of telling the story.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I think the segment was very well produced by Tom Morris, Jr. of Washington, D.C. The story line and editing were first rate.

The problem all along has been that there has not been a clear photograph of the assumed perpetrator. If there had been, he might have been caught by now. And he would certainly be apprehended following the AMW segment, had they a better pic. Hopefully someone will recognize the guy from the details.

I was disappointed that they said the suspect is 5' 8" to 5' 11". He is actually 5' 6" to 5' 9"-- tops. Here is a poor picture of the two of them as they left Skeeter's. As you can see, "Cooper" is only slightly taller than is Mike, who was only 5' 4". The top of the lettering on the door is exactly 5' 6". I measured it.:
View attachment 237293

IMO they should have made more of the suspect's M.O. He seems to like to select smaller men for his victims. Before he approached Mike that afternoon, he had been playing pool with another guy who was small and overweight. The guy had obviously had been a potential victim. He'll never know how lucky he was.

I'm hoping it'll make YouTube, so it can be linked to. There is non-animated coverage of the show on the AMW site (www.AMW.com), but I couldn't see that they've archived the video segment. If anyone notices it put up on YouTube, please let us know.

Doc

Doc;

I wouldn't sweat the discrepancy over a couple of inches in his height.

And I am of the strong belief that while the video quality is far from crystal clear, this guy is very indentifiable by anyone who knows him or whose path he crossed.

I wish there was a way for us to know what kind of response amw has received thus far.

I'm very hopeful and appreciative.

GREAT job, sir!

best,
brian kc

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Breaking news

Leads have come in as a result of the AMW show.
The police department has asked us to continue our vigilance and they believe the murder suspect cannot hide for much longer.

No other word at this time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGghdlYLsQY

Make comments here.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
I watched AMW last night also, and overall thought it was a good segment. I was also sickened by parts of the segment, and hope the show meets with success regarding Mike Surber.

Many thanks to the AZers who helped push this to be on AMW, and to all who were part of the broadcast.

powerlineman80

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watched as well. Big ups to the ones that got this on AMW and glad the effort paid off. I think this scum will get caught..

flash5153

none
Silver Member
I have been following this since I heard about it long ago.

I think they will find the guy too. He has a look and a way about him that someone will recognize.

I'm figuring to come on here and open this thread,,with in a week. And see it say that he is caught.

The guy could very well be a member of this site. Who knows????

He must be from the area of the real Jericho cooper ,,,to use that name and knowing it a real business. Hard to say though for sure.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Was there ever any further information on the declined credit card he used at Skeeters? Like was it under the name Jericho Cooper, or was it stolen from a someone with that name etc.?