Viewing U.S. OPEN PPV on Apple TV???

Rip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to watch this year's U.S. Open on my big screen by accessing the PPV from either an iPad3 or MacBook Pro and sending it to the big screen using AppleTV.
Can anyone confirm they've used AppleTV to watch an Accustats PPV broadcast? Should I rely on Apple TV or is there a better mousetrap?
Looking forward to kicking back and enjoying large quantities of vodka while enjoying the show!

So what do you suggest...AppleTV or ????

TheMarsMan

Nice Gun!
Silver Member
I would like to watch this year's U.S. Open on my big screen by accessing the PPV from either an iPad3 or MacBook Pro and sending it to the big screen using AppleTV.
Can anyone confirm they've used AppleTV to watch an Accustats PPV broadcast? Should I rely on Apple TV or is there a better mousetrap?
Looking forward to kicking back and enjoying large quantities of vodka while enjoying the show!

Both the Macbook Pro and the IPAD 3 have adapters that allow them to output HDMI, that would be the best way to accomplish this. Reading on the Apple TV it should allow you to stream your content the TV using AirPlay, I haven't tried this though.

jwilliams

Lapsus calami!
Silver Member

I've streamed several of the TAR matches on my Macbook Air and/or iPad3 and then used Airplay to sync it with my Apple TV to watch on my regular tv, and it's worked quite well. So I would assume accu-stats would work just as well. Quick FYI though, if you stream from your laptop, you may need to turn off your firewall to get Airplay to work correctly, depending on how you have it configured.

Rip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jwilliams, MarsMan, bdorman, thank you so much for your replies!

iPad?

I've streamed several of the TAR matches on my Macbook Air and/or iPad3 and then used Airplay to sync it with my Apple TV to watch on my regular tv, and it's worked quite well. So I would assume accu-stats would work just as well. Quick FYI though, if you stream from your laptop, you may need to turn off your firewall to get Airplay to work correctly, depending on how you have it configured.

I'm traveling and only have access to an ipad3. Anyone know if the US open can be streamed to view on that?

Thx

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd try it, and see how it works. You can test it on youtube or any other video before the US Open. You can share your whole desktop on the Apple TV if the indivdiual program you are using to view the video does not support displaying its own contents on the Apple TV.

I have a late 2011 MacBook Air and a 2nd generation Apple TV, and an all 802.11 N network at home.

I've had intermetten success with streaming videos from my MacBook Air to the Apple TV. I've had lagging issues. Even streaming iTunes music to my TV (for the speakers) has had occasional lag issues. I'm fairly Apple savvy, and haven't been able to figure out why this is happening. I never run any firewalls on my Macs, so its not that.

Anyway, it was so hit or miss for me, that I gave up on it, and use a wired HDMI cable now. It works perfectly 100% of the time. You can mirror your desktop, or use the TV as an extended display.

By the way, to get the cables for anything and everything computer and AV related, go to www.monoprice.com They have great prices, at like 1/10th of the store prices. They also have an HDMI cable that is about 1/4 the thickness of the regular HDMI cable. Its about double the price, but helps a lot when you have a 15' long cable. If you go the cable route, get a 15' long cable, so you can still sit on the couch with the computer while it is hooked up to the TV, if you want to type or anything like that.

This is a 15' super thin cable.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10255&cs_id=1025503&p_id=9429&seq=1&format=2

I really like the thin cables, as the thick ones seem to put a lot of strain on the computer's port. They really are heavy. The way they are so thin is the regular ones support communication both ways on the cable (duplex). The thin ones support communication only in one direction (simplex). This works fine for what you want to do, but would not work in applications requiring two way communication between two devices.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm traveling and only have access to an ipad3. Anyone know if the US open can be streamed to view on that?

Thx

This is a pure guess.... TAR and Accustats I believe use the same streaming provider, audiovideoweb. TAR just within the past few months now has iOS support. Maybe, just maybe, Accustats will also? Again, this is just a guess/wish.

VF-31

Registered
I watched all the Saturday matches on my IPAD3 without any difficulty/issues. Great picture.

curlyscues

we're watching
Silver Member
if you have watched tar ppv you can most likely watch accu-stats as they both use avw.

if you have never watched either you might want to check to see if you can view this page : http://www.audiovideoweb.com/index.php

if not, you may need to call your service provider as some block the site and you need to tell them to stop.

M.C.

billiards102

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thx

If Accu-stats doesn't request the stream to be ios compatible it may not be. You might try emailing Accu-stats to request it.

However, if for some reason it is not compatible you can use a program such as iSwifter which transcodes the stream on their servers and sends it back to you in a format the iPad can play. With the new ios7 pretty much anything can be sent via airplay to the AppleTV. Only caveat is this method will not be as trouble free, you may get some hiccups with the stream.

Hope it works out for you.

Rip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Accu-stats doesn't request the stream to be ios compatible it may not be. You might try emailing Accu-stats to request it.

However, if for some reason it is not compatible you can use a program such as iSwifter which transcodes the stream on their servers and sends it back to you in a format the iPad can play. With the new ios7 pretty much anything can be sent via airplay to the AppleTV. Only caveat is this method will not be as trouble free, you may get some hiccups with the stream.

Hope it works out for you.
iusedtoberich, (Anyway, it was so hit or miss for me, that I gave up on it, and use a wired HDMI cable now. It works perfectly 100% of the time.) Thanks for the link to the thin HDMI cable.

Did you use the HDMI cable in conjunction with the Apple Digital AV Adapter? I thought you needed to plug in the Apple Digital AV Adapter to the laptop/iPad and then plug the HDMI cable into the adapter and then plug it into the HDMI jack on the TV. What am I missing here?

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

Everything thing I've streamed to the AppleTV to my TV has been amazing.

Some people have had issues with the audio not switching over. Restarting your MAC might solves this. This happened to me once and it was easily resolved.

For me, streaming thought MacBook works out a better than through the iPad3 but YMMV.

Freddie <~~~ and I cut the cable cord, too!

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
When I upgraded to IOS7, I wasn't able to use airplay during the last TAR match. I wasn't getting an airplay button, so who knows. But in the past, with airplay to my appletv, it's looked great.

Some stream services just don't have the airplay option. I have Directv Sundayticket Max, and from my phone or ipad, I cannot airplay to my Apple TV.

I know it's not a cheap option, but I have a Mac mini hooked up to my tv and it's perfect for things like this.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i
Did you use the HDMI cable in conjunction with the Apple Digital AV Adapter? I thought you needed to plug in the Apple Digital AV Adapter to the laptop/iPad and then plug the HDMI cable into the adapter and then plug it into the HDMI jack on the TV. What am I missing here?

Yes. The MacBook Air has a MiniDisplay Port, or Thuderbolt port depending on its age. To plug the HDMI cable into the laptop, you need a MiniDisplay Port to HDMI adapter. Apple sells it for about $30, and I think Belkin sells it for $20. I bought mine several years ago, so the prices might be less now.

Ha, just checked Monoprice, and they have the adapter for $6.:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5311&seq=1&format=2

It looks like they even have a cable that is MiniDisplay Port on one end, and HDMI on the other, so you don't need an adapter. I don't know how thin this cable is though:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10246&cs_id=1024603&p_id=9476&seq=1&format=2

IMG_6703.jpg
This picutre shows the laptop setup to the TV. You can see that the heavy HDMI cable pulls at the plug. I don't like it, I use it with the laptop on the floor so it won't pull at it.

IMG_6704.jpg
This is the thinner type cable for comparison with the thicker. I have this hooked up to my camera over the pool table. If I were to order another cable for hooking up to the TV, I'd get this type.

Edit to add: There are two ways to get thin HDMI cables. The first is to use internal wires of a smaller gauge (diameter). This gets you a thin cable, but it can degrade the signal, and cause issues especially over longer distances. 15' is considered a borderline long distance for reference. The other way is to keep the wire gauge thicker, but remove half the wires. Half of the wires are for communicating in one direction, and the other half are for communicating in the second direction. So if you only need to go one way (like laptop to TV, or camera to computer), then you never use the second half of the wires, and they can be removed, resulting in a much thinner cable. This is not technically an HDMI compliant cable, but it works great in these one way applications. I linked to that one in my earlier post. Here it is again (called Redmere cable):

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10255&cs_id=1025503&p_id=9429&seq=1&format=2

Last edited:

Rip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the great advice. I installed AppleTV today and so far it's super with my MacBook Pro. I'm having a little difficulty accessing anything but music from the iPad3 but I'm sure it's because I'm doing something goofy. :angry:

I want to have access to the U.S. Open action so HOPEFULLY I can win a few from iusedtoberich this year!!!! :thumbup:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the great advice. I installed AppleTV today and so far it's super with my MacBook Pro. I'm having a little difficulty accessing anything but music from the iPad3 but I'm sure it's because I'm doing something goofy. :angry:

I want to have access to the U.S. Open action so HOPEFULLY I can win a few from iusedtoberich this year!!!! :thumbup:

Ha! I like your attitude. I guess I better head over to accustats and buy that early bird special. lol