Veterans Day at AZB

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have one brother a diehard Marine (Vietnam War era), another brother who is a Navy man (25 years), and my father, may he rest in peace, was a major in the Army Air Corps during World War II.

They didn't have a United States Air Force back then, only the Army Air Corps. When my dad got out of the service, he never flew on an airplane again.

My mother and father both are buried in National Arlington Cemetery. I have a pass that they give family members, enabling me to drive right up to their grave site. Today the place is packed for Veterans Day visitors.

May God bless all our soldiers, sailors, airmen, corpsmen, marines, reserves, and guard.

RIP, Dad!

Last edited:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
My wife asked me to post this UTube link to a song for the Viet Nam Vets today.
Its one of her favorites by George Jones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfAPhJW5fOY&ob=av3e

I hope that this song isn't inappropriate for Remembrance Day.
Part of the remembering for me is that the Nam Vets didn't get treated very well when they returned
and that is a lesson learned and also should never be forgotten.

Your post and link to Wild Irish Rose deserves mentioning again today. We have veterans returning now, once again with the trauma of war etched into their minds. It won't be easy for some to assimilate back into the society. If you come across a veteran who you think is a little angry or strange, show a little kindness because that may be all they want or need.

If those of you who can justify the expense or who have some extra cash laying around and you want to appreciate the returning veterans, consider making a regular or one-time donation to THE WOUNDED WARRIOR PROJECT which you can learn more about by -----------CLICKING HERE. This is an important and valid organization for wounded veterans.

curlyscues

we're watching
Silver Member
SALUTE
^^^^^^^

zilla :cool:

thanks to those who serve and have served. a special thanks to my friend steve.

Steve Elzinga2.jpg
steve elzinga r.i.p.

M.C.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Let freedom ring. Our veterans, past and present, are at the core of our freedom. May they continue to be a shining example to us now and always.

To those who serve or have served, to those who have sacrificed so that others might serve, and to those who have lost loved ones who have served, your contribution to our past and our present is not quanitifable, but it is selfless and righteous, and I thank you.

I'm not ashamed to say that I shed a tear or two as I listen to the playing of "Taps" as the President lays a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at Arlington National Cemetery every November 11. It's a great reminder to each of us that most soldiers serve in relative obscurity but serve with courage, conviction, and honor.

Happy Veterans Day to all.

beav99_4life

BPT Champion
Silver Member
My father who served in the Navy during Vietnam. He said his times in the Navy were some of the best of his life. He only wished he could have served more. Thank you to all the veterans and those serving, I hope you're brought home soon.

Attachments

• dads navy pic.jpg
    dads navy pic.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 178

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My wife....5th from the left...front row...on a medical mission.

Attachments

• group military pic.jpg
    group military pic.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 290

Jfred

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Veterans' Day 2012

Thanks to all who have served and continue to serve.

Special thanks to our friend and brother Steve Elzinga. We miss him even more on this solemn day.

A VERY special thanks to Curlyscues for keeping this post of Steve's alive and growing. He would be very proud of you.

Jim

cmbwsu

Pool Stream Advocate
Silver Member
Thanks to all who have served and continue to serve.

Special thanks to our friend and brother Steve Elzinga. We miss him even more on this solemn day.

A VERY special thanks to Curlyscues for keeping this post of Steve's alive and growing. He would be very proud of you.

Jim

Ditto ... there are tears in my eyes right now and a loss for words ... I miss Steve terribly.

Thanks Curly (__)>

0ne9marine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
USMC 1968-1970
RVN 1969 with bravo company 1st battalion 9th marines "the walking dead"

Attachments

• 074.jpg
    074.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 254

sengkun108

sengkun108
Silver Member
Happy veterans day for USA military.....i always got a respect for anybody who believe and fought for his country.....many many respect for all of you...:wink:

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
a little late to the party . . .

I want to salute all former and active military members who, so bravely, have ensured our freedom.

Thank You All! :thumbup:

best,
brian kc <---- Sergeant, US Army, 4th Infantry Division, Ft, Carson, Colorado & Wiesbaden Air Base, Germany

scratchs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thank you to all that have served.an to those that will serve..

Army 78-83
sgt.

Wildflecken,Germany 8th D Pathfinders..
Fort Bliss,Tx first cav.

Jfred

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Oldzilla!

Steve is probably laughing and shaking his head at me.

Thanks Gary for your thoughfulness and caring.

Jim

curlyscues

we're watching
Silver Member
EDIT
This thread is four years old but it would be nice if there were more photos added this year. Thanks again to all who served or are serving.

Time for another bump!

Welcome Home! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVCIY-BqJDo

With that said, I would like to invite all who have served, in war or peace time, to stand and be recognized by posting photos and/or a few words.

The following photos are of me in Viet Nam, 1969. I was a 50 gunner in a mechanized infantry unit.

I am having a hard time with words so I will let the photos tell the story.

Steve

View attachment 53174

View attachment 53175

View attachment 53177

View attachment 53178

View attachment 53179

happy vetrens day to all who served.

M.C.

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
I was with the USN Squadron VA 196 attached to the USS Enterprise in the Tonkin Gulf 1971&'72. My Squadron was the one represented by Stephen Coonts in his book & later movie "Flight of the Intruder". He was the "Personnel Officer" in our squadron. I'd like to thank all who served in the Armed Forces of the United States! Every job is important, and it's the team effort that get's it done! Every member has written a check made out to the people of the United States for up to and including their lives, in the defense of this great country, it's people, and the Constitution of the United States! Too many of those checks have been cashed for "full value"! We must never forget those veterans, especially the ones who made the "supreme sacrifice" so that we could remain free of oppression!
Sherm Adamson