Dr. Dave: English

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
So with all these ''explanations'' I'm finding it difficult to answer just one question, or reply about one situation.

Only term than I've heard spoken, that seems confusing....is the cue ball having intentional ''running'' english applied on no longer having it effecting movement/direction.

The term running/forward movement, I've always explained to be cueing above the horizontal 9 o'clock or 3 o'clock strike point/plane on the cue ball.

Once any spin releases, and whitey begins to Roll, then the cue ball is in a natural running/forward movement. No longer is there Any initial cueing action left, controlling the running except remaining momentum from the cuesticks initial contact speed.

Phew!!!!

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
So with all these ''explanations'' I'm finding it difficult to answer just one question, or reply about one situation.

Only term than I've heard spoken, that seems confusing....is the cue ball having intentional ''running'' english applied on no longer having it effecting movement/direction.

The term running/forward movement, I've always explained to be cueing above the horizontal 9 o'clock or 3 o'clock strike point/plane on the cue ball.

Once any spin releases, and whitey begins to Roll, then the cue ball is in a natural running/forward movement. No longer is there Any initial cueing action left, controlling the running except remaining momentum from the cuesticks initial contact speed.

Phew!!!!

If they really are technical experts on this form, they may have trouble understanding questions.

Its probably best to just make up your own rule and say their rule is wrong.

For example: DrDave is wrong because:

Cueball contact can create frictional force greater than the spinning/rolling force.
Example The Z Shot

Sometimes its not greater.
Example: The carom shot where it moves up the long rail constantly bouncing up the rail with it..

Island Drive

Silver Member
If they really are technical experts on this form, they may have trouble understanding questions.

Its probably best to just make up your own rule and say their rule is wrong.

For example: DrDave is wrong because:

Cueball contact can create frictional force greater than the spinning/rolling force.
Example The Z Shot

Sometimes its not greater.
Example: The carom shot where it moves up the long rail constantly bouncing up the rail with it..

Your explanations make my mind ''numb''.

TMI from another ''overhead'' plane :angel: of thought.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The top shot can be referred to as "running inside follow" and the bottom shot can be described as "reverse inside draw." I like descriptive terms like this because they clearly define the shot.
Me too.

Alternatively :), the top shot can be referred to as reverse-running-follow and the bottom shot as reverse-reverse-draw.

If we were choosing which of the two types of terms (running/reverse vs. outside/inside) to use exclusively, I'd choose running/reverse because it indicates the effect, not just the direction.

pj <- this nag must be dead by now
chgo

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, the illustrations and videos on the Sidespin Tutorial page might also be helpful. Here is one showing that inside spin can be either left or right, and it can also be natural/running or reverse/check, all on the same cut shot:

English_running_reverse.jpg
The top shot can be referred to as "running inside follow" and the bottom shot can be described as "reverse inside draw." I like descriptive terms like this because they clearly define the shot.
Me too.

Alternatively :), the top shot can be referred to as reverse-running-follow and the bottom shot as reverse-reverse-draw.

If we were choosing which of the two types of terms (running/reverse vs. outside/inside) to use exclusively, I'd choose running/reverse because it indicates the effect, not just the direction.

pj <- this nag must be dead by now
chgo
I agree with your last line. Let this die. Your "alternative fact" suggestions don't "cut" it. :grin-square:

Regards,
Dave

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FYI, the illustrations and videos on the Sidespin Tutorial page might also be helpful. Here is one showing that inside spin can be either left or right, and it can also be natural/running or reverse/check, all on the same cut shot:

Regards,
Dave
That bottom diagram was confounding for me because it looks just like the chalkysticks diagram I posted: the cue ball is struck with inside english, then the cue ball hits the right, long rail. But, in my diagram the cue ball hits the rail with running english, while in your diagram the cue ball hits the rail with reverse english. How is that possible?!?! Well, it's just like ChrisinNC stated:

It all depends on the angle the cue ball is contacting the cushion....

In my diagram, the cue ball hits the object ball and moves "forward" into the rail while in your diagram the cue ball hits the object ball and angles "backwards" into the rail. The english is spinning in the same direction in both cases, but in your diagram the english is actually reverse english.

Thanks!

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

That bottom diagram was confounding for me because it looks just like the chalkysticks diagram I posted: the cue ball is struck with inside english, then the cue ball hits the right, long rail. But, in my diagram the cue ball hits the rail with running english, while in your diagram the cue ball hits the rail with reverse english. How is that possible?!?! Well, it's just like ChrisinNC stated:

In my diagram, the cue ball hits the object ball and moves "forward" into the rail while in your diagram the cue ball hits the object ball and angles "backwards" into the rail. The english is spinning in the same direction in both cases, but in your diagram the english is actually reverse english.

Thanks!
You're welcome. FYI, the top diagram shows the running spin case for the same shot. Both shots have inside spin. Outside/inside is based on cut direction and running/reverse is based on angle into the cushion.

Regards,
Dave

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member

skateboard terms measure angular rotation
360, 720, 1080 very clear how many rotations are taking place and the direction.

As for DrDave and his hocus pocus its an explanation but considering with how much struggle there is to explain it, its not an elegant explanation.

DrDave sounds more like an engineer than a mathematician.

As for using skateboard terms on in billiards experiments, there is no way to count rotations a cue ball experiences.

DrDave is taking the initial steps to cite common cases.
Dave's use of the walks like a duck, talks like a duck logic is interesting.
I can use that to describe why the Earth is flat and round at the same time, its called locally flat and globally curved.

However he is just inventing words to describe stuff pool players have been seeing forever. Then he explains what is happening in his invented descriptions. (Circular logic)

Lots of love to DrDave. This is a discussion in the spirit of mathematics and I don't think his math is too strong.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
... he is just inventing words to describe stuff pool players have been seeing forever. Then he explains what is happening in his invented descriptions...
I didn't make up any of these terms (inside, outside, running, reverse, etc.). They have been around for a very long time and they are standard in both published pool works and speech. FYI, if you or others ever come across pool or gambling terms you don't know, standard definitions can be found here:

Pool Glossary

Regards,
Dave

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't make up any of these terms (inside, outside, running, reverse, etc.). They have been around for a very long time and they are standard in both published pool works and speech. FYI, if you or others ever come across pool or gambling terms you don't know, standard definitions can be found here:

Pool Glossary

Regards,
Dave
Dave, don't EVEN try explaining something to j'num. We get what you say and appreciate all you do.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
skateboard terms measure angular rotation
360, 720, 1080 very clear how many rotations are taking place and the direction.

As for DrDave and his hocus pocus its an explanation but considering with how much struggle there is to explain it, its not an elegant explanation.

DrDave sounds more like an engineer than a mathematician.

As for using skateboard terms on in billiards experiments, there is no way to count rotations a cue ball experiences.

DrDave is taking the initial steps to cite common cases.
Dave's use of the walks like a duck, talks like a duck logic is interesting.
I can use that to describe why the Earth is flat and round at the same time, its called locally flat and globally curved.

However he is just inventing words to describe stuff pool players have been seeing forever. Then he explains what is happening in his invented descriptions. (Circular logic)

Lots of love to DrDave. This is a discussion in the spirit of mathematics and I don't think his math is too strong.

Degrees of rotation - who cares. Further down the list is where it gets interesting. :p

Island Drive

Silver Member

Pool Glossary

Regards,
Dave

Here's one for fun, that I'm sure you don't have in the glossary.

I created it yrs ago in the moment with an opponent.....''Rack-tice''

When you opponent assumes the position of racking a 9 ball rack, and you continue to break and run out, or lock em up and run out. I did this once to an opponent for $2 a game, I musta won 40 games in a row before he finally won one, then he quit. lol college dayz

Too give you another viewpoint of my humor, and I blame it on my older cousin, he was impossible to get over on him, in a good way.

The dreaded ''double kiss''.

When your opponent tries to clip the ball and sells out because the ball that they are trying to hit away from the area, now because of the dbl kiss...sit's perfect, close up straight in.

I came up with this/my definition and I was playing a good friend and this banter was acceptable.

Quote, don't you know the dbl kiss means, he looked at me perplexed, I said, the first kiss is for you, then I smile and say.... ''the last kiss is for ME'' :love::.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Those are cute. Thanks. However, I only include terms in the glossary that are "standard," "well established," or "widely known."

Regards,
Dave

Pool Glossary
Here's one for fun, that I'm sure you don't have in the glossary.

I created it yrs ago in the moment with an opponent.....''Rack-tice''

When you opponent assumes the position of racking a 9 ball rack, and you continue to break and run out, or lock em up and run out. I did this once to an opponent for $2 a game, I musta won 40 games in a row before he finally won one, then he quit. lol college dayz

Too give you another viewpoint of my humor, and I blame it on my older cousin, he was impossible to get over on him, in a good way.

The dreaded ''double kiss''.

When your opponent tries to clip the ball and sells out because the ball that they are trying to hit away from the area, now because of the dbl kiss...sit's perfect, close up straight in.

I came up with this/my definition and I was playing a good friend and this banter was acceptable.

Quote, don't you know the dbl kiss means, he looked at me perplexed, I said, the first kiss is for you, then I smile and say.... ''the last kiss is for ME'' :love::.

Island Drive

Silver Member
Those are cute. Thanks. However, I only include terms in the glossary that are "standard," "well established," or "widely known."

Regards,
Dave

I Dave I know, just with life as it's currently been ah, rollin' it's always good for the soul.

Hope tah see yah 12-4-5-6

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hope tah see yah 12-4-5-6
I would like to be there, but I'm staying away from bars and pool halls until they handle COVID better. The pool league I normally play in (which I sat out of this season) just had a COVID flair up.

Stay safe,
Dave