Los Angeles area players from the past

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I know there are a lot of guys on here who spent time in Southern California at one time or another. Just thought it would be fun to see how many remember some of the great (and not so great) players who populated the L.A. Pool scene.

We all remember Ronnie Allen, Richie Florence and Keith McCready. But do you remember Billy Kenyon, a straight shooting sonofagun who was a stuntman in the movies? What about the black champions like the Iceman, California Shorty, Rush-Out Red, Black Nate and the top dog Rags Woods? Most of us knew Cecil Tugwell, a truly great player (Cliff Joyner speed) who had to switch from playing right handed to left handed and still played at a high level. Lou Butera made his home and raised his family out here as well. His son Sal turned out to be a strong player in his own right.

Who else do you remember? Anyone know the Beatle, Dale Armstrong, out of Baltimore or Lefty Bob Lanforman from Minnesota? Popcorn (John Miller) brought many top players out west to sneak them in on the unsuspecting. Tommy Baker, out of Orange County, was Keith's chief rival in their youth. Cue maker Tim Padgett could play a mean game as well.

I'm sure there's more but these are the first one's who come to mind for me.

Andy Hughes

Registered
I worked in a pool room in Glendale, CA for a number of years in the 70’s, Jay. It was called Pete’s Family Billiards on Colorado Blvd across from Bob’s Big Boy. A number of good players were there on a daily basis. Dean “The Barber” Dill & “California Cal” Reynolds come to mind. Also Doc White, although he was not from Los Angeles originally.

Andy - Las Vegas

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I worked in a pool room in Glendale, CA for a number of years in the 70’s, Jay. It was called Pete’s Family Billiards on Colorado Blvd across from Bob’s Big Boy. A number of good players were there on a daily basis. Dean “The Barber” Dill & “California Cal” Reynolds come to mind. Also Doc White, although he was not from Los Angeles originally.

Andy - Las Vegas

Is that the room that was downstairs, a few blocks off Brand Blvd.?

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tim Padgett still plays pretty sporty for an old guy :)

Ronnie Rosas (Mexican Ron) used to play pretty good as well!!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know there are a lot of guys on here who spent time in Southern California at one time or another. Just thought it would be fun to see how many remember some of the great (and not so great) players who populated the L.A. Pool scene.

We all remember Ronnie Allen, Richie Florence and Keith McCready. But do you remember Billy Kenyon, a straight shooting sonofagun who was a stuntman in the movies? What about the black champions like the Iceman, California Shorty, Rush-Out Red, Black Nate and the top dog Rags Woods? Most of us knew Cecil Tugwell, a truly great player (Cliff Joyner speed) who had to switch from playing right handed to left handed and still played at a high level. Lou Butera made his home and raised his family out here as well. His son Sal turned out to be a strong player in his own right.

Who else do you remember? Anyone know the Beatle, Dale Armstrong, out of Baltimore or Lefty Bob Lanforman from Minnesota? Popcorn (John Miller) brought many top players out west to sneak them in on the unsuspecting. Tommy Baker, out of Orange County, was Keith's chief rival in their youth. Cue maker Tim Padgett could play a mean game as well.

Jay i saw Popcorn at Olathe a couple yrs. back. What a character and man does he have some stories. I think he lives in St.Jo Missouri now.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark Tadd?

QUOTE]
Didn't Mark Tadd live out there for a while too?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

QUOTE]
Didn't Mark Tadd live out there for a while too?
Uh, yeah. He was the best player out there for a while.

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
How about Monrovia John. And Smiley and Tuna at Mr. Cues in Riverside.

Wonder if these 3 guys are still around?

Kevin

bstroud

Deceased

Jay,

Remember Petter Gunn, Artesian Kenny? Ritchie and I and many others played in the ring game in Bellflower. Seemed like the game lasted forever.

Bill S.

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've gotten to know and have taken a few lessons from Calvin Coker who was/is a pretty sporty player.

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
AZB's Own Frank the Barber Almanza is a legend and still wields a mighty stick. And a good dude.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember a Mexican guy who played with an open bridge and ran out as good as anybody I ever saw play, I never did know his name though.
Medium to stocky build and about 5'.8". In 74 he was probably about 30 years old.
It wasn't Ernesto or Ron Rosas .

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember a Mexican guy who played with an open bridge and ran out as good as anybody I ever saw play, I never did know his name though.
Medium to stocky build and about 5'.8". In 74 he was probably about 30 years old.
It wasn't Ernesto or Ron Rosas .
Sounds like Joe Salazar

Attachments

• JOE S.jpg
    JOE S.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 752
Last edited: