The 4 second stroke

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The stroke is the most important of the fundamentals, yet far too many players rush their swing. They bring it back, then lunge it forward. This has been talked about countless times, but it can be very difficult to explain to someone doing this what it means to let the cue start slowly and accelerate. Somehow explanations and comparisons don't seem to work.

During my last bootcamp I tried something new with my student. I call it the '4 second stroke'. Here's the deal. I looked up an online metronome ( http://metronome/ ) and I set the BPM to 50. I challenged my student to do a slow motion stroke that started on beat one and ended on beat five (roughly 4 seconds). The rules were that he had to accelerate the entire time, so he couldn't start fast, slow down, then speed up again. And he had to time it so he was at top speed right as his arm was straight up and down which would be at the 5th beat.

Something about doing this in slow motion is really eye opening. It is hard not to be wrapping up by the count of three. In order to accelerate the entire time and not finish early you can't even be visibly moving until the three count. And the majority of the movement doesn't happen until the very last beat

It was hard to do, so we found a way to get a good demonstration. I found a near flat surface on a granite counter nearby and put a billiard ball on it. It wasn't absolutely level so the ball did roll after a while, but it took forever to pick up speed. First it sat apparently still, maybe just rocking slightly, then it would start to turn, then rotate, then roll very slowly, and finally roll and pick up speed. We timed how long it took to travel a foot and sure enough the majority of the distance came in the last 20% of the time.

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words. After that my student had a much better time understanding what it meant to not jerk the cue forward and to use a slow start with an accelerating swing. It also goes to show that you don't necessarily have to pause at the back of the stroke, because a pure acceleration is close to a pause anyway (the same way when you're on a swing set you seem to 'hang' at the top).

Anyway, if you're trying to smooth out your stroke you might want to try slow motion practice. There's some mental stuff that's important too but physically speaking this is a great way to map it out for your mind. Have fun and swing smooth!

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
dang, your visual on the swing affect, with the new cool space travel stuff, we as kids
where experiencing weightlessness, for a moment anyways.

Your thinking on this does give the thought process of the pause a smoother ride,
rather than the thinking on the shot, 'well, I have to stop here at the top for a second'.

Been trying to get the wife to play, she'll play if I bug her enough, however, we got into it
a little deeper last night, comfort of the cue, stance, with the bridge hand,
play of the shot for shape, this is going to help for getting that feel of a stroke,
that moment of lightness vs. tightness.

It's just when your at the table looking the situation over, finally decided on a plan,
time is a tick'n, dang fundamental's, "where you at".

keep on with the good vibes tin man :thumbup2:

bb9ball

Registered
Funny that you should mention doing your stroke in slow motion..

After seeing Mark Wilson's presentation at Derby City this year on YouTube, I practiced my stroke in slow motion to help improve my delivery/transition. While doing it, I discovered sometimes my cue was moving offline on the back swing. Usually, it would move back during the forward stroke, but not always. So, I've also used it to improve my alignment during the stroke. I think it will become my "go to" practice if I feel my stroke isn't right. I was surprised how enlightening it was for me and that I hadn't heard anyone mention doing before.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The stroke is the most important of the fundamentals, yet far too many players rush their swing. They bring it back, then lunge it forward. This has been talked about countless times, but it can be very difficult to explain to someone doing this what it means to let the cue start slowly and accelerate. Somehow explanations and comparisons don't seem to work.

During my last bootcamp I tried something new with my student. I call it the '4 second stroke'. Here's the deal. I looked up an online metronome ( http://metronome/ ) and I set the BPM to 50. I challenged my student to do a slow motion stroke that started on beat one and ended on beat five (roughly 4 seconds). The rules were that he had to accelerate the entire time, so he couldn't start fast, slow down, then speed up again. And he had to time it so he was at top speed right as his arm was straight up and down which would be at the 5th beat.

Something about doing this in slow motion is really eye opening. It is hard not to be wrapping up by the count of three. In order to accelerate the entire time and not finish early you can't even be visibly moving until the three count. And the majority of the movement doesn't happen until the very last beat

It was hard to do, so we found a way to get a good demonstration. I found a near flat surface on a granite counter nearby and put a billiard ball on it. It wasn't absolutely level so the ball did roll after a while, but it took forever to pick up speed. First it sat apparently still, maybe just rocking slightly, then it would start to turn, then rotate, then roll very slowly, and finally roll and pick up speed. We timed how long it took to travel a foot and sure enough the majority of the distance came in the last 20% of the time.

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words. After that my student had a much better time understanding what it meant to not jerk the cue forward and to use a slow start with an accelerating swing. It also goes to show that you don't necessarily have to pause at the back of the stroke, because a pure acceleration is close to a pause anyway (the same way when you're on a swing set you seem to 'hang' at the top).

Anyway, if you're trying to smooth out your stroke you might want to try slow motion practice. There's some mental stuff that's important too but physically speaking this is a great way to map it out for your mind. Have fun and swing smooth!

Thank you for sharing. If you or anyone else would like to learn more about this, read Slow Practice Will Get You There Faster. The book is focused on Tennis and Golf but applies to anything where precision is required. Quite interesting stuff.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a very pronounced pause prior to letting the cue go forward to hit the cueball. I use it for TWO reasons, one is, a you said, to even out my stroke delivery; but equally important for me, I find my final object ball contact point during my pause, and when i find it, THAT is my timing key to start letting the final stroke go forward. This has been my single most important adjustment to my game and I am a much better player when I apply this process consistently on each and every shot.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for sharing. If you or anyone else would like to learn more about this, read Slow Practice Will Get You There Faster. The book is focused on Tennis and Golf but applies to anything where precision is required. Quite interesting stuff.

Great book. Surprised no one has mentioned it before.
I have it on the shelf somewhere. It's great to pick it
up every now and then when you hit a plateau.

When I work on my game I try to fix one piece at a time.
Focusing on slowing it down ( especially if you video
your practice) has helped me fix many errors.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It never occurred to me, but the ‘intuitive’ habit I have developed of intentionally slowing the forward stroke when shooting angled sidepocket shots, might well be beneficial in general. One more thing to try and remember when down on a shot.

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, pretty much impossible. Tried it, couldn’t do it. Shot some drills with the metronome going, worked great. Don’t think I ever made it to the fifth beat.

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great stroke drill, just tried it again. Corner to corner, straight in drill. The slow motion stroke works great. Never made it to the five count.