rescheduled tournaments - entry fees refunded?

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If a tournament is rescheduled, how should entry fees be handled?

I believe the TD should refund all entry fees if the tournament can't go down as scheduled. To hang on to entry fees because they intend to announce new dates doesn't sit well with me. What if I can't play those new dates due to schedule conflicts? Once you can't deliver what I signed up for, why should I be financially vulnerable?

Maybe I'm missing something. Thoughts?

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member

I believe the TD should refund all entry fees if the tournament can't go down as scheduled. To hang on to entry fees because they intend to announce new dates doesn't sit well with me. What if I can't play those new dates due to schedule conflicts? Once you can't deliver what I signed up for, why should I be financially vulnerable?

They reschedule specifically so they don't have to refund, lol

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think your money should be refunded unless you say no just keep it and I’m in for the new dates. Like you said when you pay an entry fee for a tournament that is scheduled for a certain date that’s when you plan on being there. If it’s rescheduled it’s not your fault or it doesn’t necessarily mean you have the same opportunity to play as you did on the first scheduled date.

bb9ball

Registered
You should definitely be able to get a refund. Maybe, they are holding on to it unless a refund is requested to not have to pay a transaction fee and then you also having to pay a second fee if you decide to enter whenever it is rescheduled. And, maybe not refunding the money automatically, helps them keep a space for you if you do end up playing.

Just hope it wasn't lost in a tornado.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
In the Pool world, getting a refund is totally dependent on how honorable the promoter is. Some are and some aren't. That appears to be the case as well with some of the major concert and sports ticket outlets.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is this a rhetorical question? Or did it really happen? If it did, what was the tournament and was corona the reason?

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
pay with a credit card and within the time frame where you can cancel the transaction.
big deal if you lose a spot if it fills up. most times they dont as they want all the money they can get in.

if the promoters are at all questionable why go in the first place. there has been enough of them that didnt pay out and kept all the money or lost it.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
They reschedule specifically so they don't have to refund, lol

The right thing to do is offer a refund, as new date might be a day person is working, or has other plans.

Good will builder, do right thing, verses taking the money, and running.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even the biggest sports teams will try to scam you. last year i was in NY in Sept. and bought two tix for a total of $300 to a NY Yankee game. Stub Hub. 1PM scheduled game, Game day it literally poured rain from 10am- NY Yankees kept delaying until they finally started around 4pm, got in 4 1/2 innings in heavy rain, then called it a game.

almost no one attended- i did not- I was staying two hours from the stadium. Yanks refused refunds and also refused rain checks good for another game. Worst example of customer service that I have ever seen. Yanks made $million+ on 30,000+ sold tickets that day. I chargeback thru my credit card company and neither stub hub nor the yanks responded to the inquiry- I got my $300 refund. never to pay for a Yankee stadium ticket again for the remainder of my life.

once a new pool tournament date is announced- Everyone should have the right to cancel their attendance and obtain a refund.

Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Even the biggest sports teams will try to scam you. last year i was in NY in Sept. and bought two tix for a total of $300 to a NY Yankee game. Stub Hub. 1PM scheduled game, Game day it literally poured rain from 10am- NY Yankees kept delaying until they finally started around 4pm, got in 4 1/2 innings in heavy rain, then called it a game.

almost no one attended- i did not- I was staying two hours from the stadium. Yanks refused refunds and also refused rain checks good for another game. Worst example of customer service that I have ever seen. Yanks made $million+ on 30,000+ sold tickets that day. I chargeback thru my credit card company and neither stub hub nor the yanks responded to the inquiry- I got my $300 refund. never to pay for a Yankee stadium ticket again for the remainder of my life.

once a new pool tournament date is announced- Everyone should have the right to cancel their attendance and obtain a refund.

Well your point are valid, and some people remember being ripped off, and then just go find a new place to spend their money.

Recall years ago a Pool Bar in PHX advertised a Saturday 9 Ball Tournment with $250.00 add money.

I made the trip cross town to play, but there was a problem, because two other venues also had event the same a day.

As the time approached to play few were at the Bar I was at. Before paying to play I asked owner, if indeed the GUARANTEED $250.00 was being added, he replied not sure, will move start time 30 minutes.

In 30 minute not many more had shown, again I asked about the $250.00 add was told we can not do this, so I left.

When you advertise something, and back away from it it leave a bad taste in my mouth. I never went back to that Bar, it was my regular Tuesday Night 9 Ball Tournament.

The place went out of business, too many bad experences for many people who said forget this place.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

They may not offer it automatically, but if you contact them directly and let them know you can’t make the rescheduled dates and you request the refund, I’m guessing they will honor your request. If not, you need to call them out on here by revealing what tournament / what promoter this is regarding.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course fees should be refunded. Then, when rescheduled, registration reopens to everyone…

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank you for the answers.

This has come up in a few different ways. One TD was very, very good about it and refunded the entry fee prior to being asked. Another didn't handle it so well. The player couldn't simply chargeback a credit card because it had to do with a US Open qualifier.

Player entered and won a qualifier that awarded entry into the US Open. That was postponed and then cancelled. The TD was refunded by matchroom but refuses to provide the funds to the player. It sounds like they want to send this person next year. It didn't feel right so I was just looking for opinions. Weird times we are in for sure.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Thank you for the answers.

This has come up in a few different ways. One TD was very, very good about it and refunded the entry fee prior to being asked. Another didn't handle it so well. The player couldn't simply chargeback a credit card because it had to do with a US Open qualifier.

Player entered and won a qualifier that awarded entry into the US Open. That was postponed and then cancelled. The TD was refunded by matchroom but refuses to provide the funds to the player. It sounds like they want to send this person next year. It didn't feel right so I was just looking for opinions. Weird times we are in for sure.

Yeah that's horseshit