Veterans Day at AZB

sde

Silver Member
EDIT
This thread is four years old but it would be nice if there were more photos added this year. Thanks again to all who served or are serving.

Time for another bump!

Welcome Home! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVCIY-BqJDo

With that said, I would like to invite all who have served, in war or peace time, to stand and be recognized by posting photos and/or a few words.

The following photos are of me in Viet Nam, 1969. I was a 50 gunner in a mechanized infantry unit.

I am having a hard time with words so I will let the photos tell the story.

Steve

image (Medium).jpg

image-11 (Medium).jpg

image-8 (Medium).jpg

image-13 (Medium).jpg

image-6 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:

DeadPoked

Inadequate User
Silver Member
Nice pictures sde... Here are some of me while I was in Iraq.

iraq.jpg

Standing in front of an Iraqi cemetary that was bombed not long after this picture was taken. Our barracks were less than a hundred yards away from that cemetary.

iraq2.jpg

Typical combat photo pose.

plane.jpg

On the plane leaving Iraq. I had been awake for about 3 days at this point.

bruce.jpg

This photo was taken Abu Dhabi, UAE. You may recognize the handome dude in this photo... that's Deadpoked. The bum that wanted his picture taken with me is Bruce Willis. Cool guy. Got some stories about that dude. He is crazy, the awesome kind of crazy though.

rangerdos001

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OEF pics

A Couple pics from Afghanistan in 05. I actually had time to win a couple tournaments while I was in Kandahar during our refit. The tables were pretty rough (did not have any slate), had a mean roll and more than a couple tears in the cloth, but how can anyone complain!
Thanks to all those who serve or have served.

Eric

Attachments

• Pic 1 edit.JPG
    Pic 1 edit.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 1,136
  • Pic 2 edit.JPG
    Pic 2 edit.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 1,101
  • pic 3 edit.JPG
    pic 3 edit.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 1,073

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My brother's only child, my nephew, is leaving for his first tour of duty in Iraq on Monday for 15 months. He's a combat engineer.

Though all the men in my family have served, it still is difficult seeing my nephew leave on Monday. I support him and the troops, but truth be told, I am scared and will pray every single day for his safe return.

He's really into the Army lifestyle and is glad he joined. He's on the right in the picture below.

God bless America and especially to those who gave the ultimate sacrifice. Keep our troops out of harm's way.

JAM

Attachments

• Soldiers.JPG
    Soldiers.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,367
Last edited:

Russ Chewning

Short Bus Russ - C player
Silver Member
9 years in the Army.. Currently working as a civilian in Baghdad right now. Not gonna post any more pictures, for obvious reasons... (You know who you are...)

I may post in NPR next week on some things Gen Petraeus has done over here. It's some amazing stuff. The guy is a counter insurgency genius. Much better than Casey.

Russ

jgpool

Cue ball draw with this?
Silver Member
Never in.

I was never in the service but I work with the Air Force everyday at Schriever AFB. I just want to thank all of you who serve for showing your loyalty and love for our country. The U.S.A!!:)

Reactions: sde

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I was in the Army Cold Weather Special Forces from 1963-1966. We trained up in Alaska at FT Wainright, and later I was sent TDY to the Artic Test Board at FT. Greely, Alaska. At Wainright we were never on post, training out in the boonies in -0 to 80 below for months at a time. We had Special Forces and Ranger intstructers for Sking, Mountain and Glacier climbing, Riverboat traning, weapons, and cold weather suvival. If we were going in to Russia we were to be some of the first to go. Three weeks after I went home my whole battalion was sent to Nam...go figure. Training in all that cold to go to a jungle.

At the Artic Test Board I tested everything from all sizes of new weapons to ski straps. Johnnyt

Da Poet

Pool is Cool
Silver Member
USCG PSU outside Dahran Saudi Arabia, May 1991.

I was a .50 cal gunner/engineer on a 22'er. (There's a .30 cal on the stern in the pic)

I'm smiling cause I was leaving soon.

Seriously though, my time was nothing compared to most Just a few months, no biggie.

Attachments

• DS.JPG
    DS.JPG
    11.2 KB · Views: 1,276
Last edited:

StormHotRod300

BigSexy
Silver Member
I was in the Marines from 1995 till 2000. My MOS was an 1171, ( hygiene equipment operator ) I always said, If i had gone infantry, I'd probably have done more than 5 yrs. I always loved doing infantry stuff, being out in the bush and night patrols, all the fun stuff that goes with being a grunt.

Anyways, I still have some friends who are in the Marines and think about them every now n them. It's funny cuz, a friend of mine from High School, went to boot about month before me. Well, I bumped into him about a month after boot, and he was already in School of Infantry training. The funny story behind him going into infantry was, he scored nearly a perfect on his ASVAB test, and basically had his pick of what he wanted to do, and ended up choosing infantry to piss off his parents lol.

I then run into the same guy a few yrs ago, and he is a SOI instructor and has his body fully of tats n stuff lol. The same guy was the school nerd in high school too lol. how things change.

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
Charlie Golf '72-'75. No pics, but enough memories to last a lifetime.
Steve

wizardnblue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
U.S. Submarine Force, Like Neil, I was also a missile tech. I was on the USS Woodrow Wilson SSBN 624 Blue. My daughter was just discharged after 6 years as a nuke on the USS George Washington, and the Carl Vinson.