New Rails

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thinking about replacing the rails on my table.
It is a 9 foot GCIII, 4 1/2 inch diamond cut pockets with Simonis.

What would be a good replacement and why?
What is the approximate cost for the rails only without installation?

Also posted in the "Talk To A Mechanic" forum
but would like to hear opinions from the everyday player too.

Thanks in advance.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I recall a member bought a whole new GC5 top for their GC1 tables directly from Brunswick for about 1500. That may be an option and will also update the look of the table (if that’s desirable to you). I think it was the Surge Billiards room PJ has posted about.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Superspeeds. Don't be fooled otherwise.

The diamond blacks are far too lively and I have never encountered a k55 profile cushion that equals brunswick's quality.

Other top-quality rubber requires a profile modification and I have no idea why that would be undertaken, when superspeeds are so easily available and installed.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not rails, I assume you mean new cushion rubbers. Depending on whether you use superspeed or Artemis, including the labor, you are likely looking at $400-$600. Assuming you’ll be replacing with new cloth, bed and rails, at the same time, and another $400-$500. $1000 would be a good ballpark starting price for new quality cushion rubbers including new Simonis on the bed and rails and labor costs.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Superspeeds. Don't be fooled otherwise.

The diamond blacks are far too lively and I have never encountered a k55 profile cushion that equals brunswick's quality.

Other top-quality rubber requires a profile modification and I have no idea why that would be undertaken, when superspeeds are so easily available and installed.

Thanks bud.
That's what is on it now.

aaronataylor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just replaced the rails on my Gold Crown 4. The rubber was $170 for Brunswick Superspeed rails. The neoprene pocket facings were another $28. The Simonis 860HR rail cloth was $110.00. I also had the pockets tightened to 4.25" so the subrails were extended.

Corner pocket angle is 141 degrees. Side pocket angle is 103 degrees.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just replaced the rails on my Gold Crown 4. The rubber was $170 for Brunswick Superspeed rails. The neoprene pocket facings were another $28. The Simonis 860HR rail cloth was $110.00. I also had the pockets tightened to 4.25" so the subrails were extended.

Corner pocket angle is 141 degrees. Side pocket angle is 103 degrees.

Thanks, nice set up too.
Thinking of doing a tune up, cushions, cloth, and taking the pockets down another 1/4 inch.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks bud.
That's what is on it now.

If you want it to play like a Brunswick, and almost every other table ever made, get Superspeeds. If you want it to play like a Diamond, get Artemis. If you haven't played a lot on Diamond's ESPECIALLY when the cloth gets worn, then you better try that out in person before putting Artemis on your table. The shortness and pin-ball-ness of the Artemis cushion is more pronounced as the cloth wears.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you want it to play like a Brunswick, and almost every other table ever made, get Superspeeds. If you want it to play like a Diamond, get Artemis. If you haven't played a lot on Diamond's ESPECIALLY when the cloth gets worn, then you better try that out in person before putting Artemis on your table. The shortness and pin-ball-ness of the Artemis cushion is more pronounced as the cloth wears.

And if one wants bouncy, diamond black cushions are already the appropriate profile for a GC and they are priced most attractively.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is a thread that might be of interest to you since you say you are looking at replacing the rails, not just the cushions. Jerimy Chamber's replacement rails have ash laminated cores with a poplar subrail for cloth stapling, very similar to Diamond butcher block ash/oak rails, but he goes a step further and uses a glue joint molding for added strength. He also puts a special molding on the cushion bevel that matches the concave portion of the backside of the cushion to make sure the cushion is installed with an accurate nose height throughout the length. It also makes for a quick and easy install for cushion replacements down the road. His price for a set of GC rails was around 1300 bucks a few years ago, but I know the cost of materials has gone up drastically so it's probably more than that nowadays. I'm not sure if Jerimy offers those in Artemis rubber though, but if he did those would be a bit more expensive since that rubber is about 200 more than Superspeed rubber. My preference would be Artemis if that was an option, just a better rubber in my opinion. It plays like the old Monarchs that I remember on the old T-rail tables growing up in rural Kentucky.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=454338&page=2