Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Instruction & Ask the pros > Ask The Instructor
Reload this Page why dont pool instructors teach a snooker stance ???
Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
why dont pool instructors teach a snooker stance ???
Old
  (#1)
bbb
AzB Gold Member
bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

why dont pool instructors teach a snooker stance ??? - 03-11-2018, 05:07 PM

the forum has been slow so i thought i would try to provoke some discussion

Old
  (#2)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

03-11-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
Some instructors do teach or at least suggest a snooker stance. The main problem for a lot of people is that pool tables are lower than snooker tables so it takes more effort to get that low.

If the student/player is primarily going to play on 7-foot tables, it's not clear that being that low is much help.

On a related topic, have you noticed that Ronnie O'Sullivan is rarely "as level as possible"? Curious.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#3)
M.G.
AzB Silver Member
M.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

03-12-2018, 12:12 AM

Quote:
You can stir....

Most pool players and instructors are idiots, clinging to the old crap. It's as simple as that.
And I don't mean it in a mean way - people don't like change and challenging their own views.

A snooker-esk stance offers a lot of benefits, but it does not look as cool as them ball banger stances.
Might be that pool tables are lower, but then you get the fsck down still. 3 point contact on body and you're set.

However, here you'll find a few excellent instructors that know the benefits.
It takes effort, but the reward is huge.

I'll also readily say that van Boening's stance and stroke is terrible. He's still vastly more successful than I am
Chris Melling on the other hand - proper body tension ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5bNceN12kY

Cheers,
M

Last edited by M.G.; 03-12-2018 at 12:16 AM.

Old
  (#4)
bbb
AzB Gold Member
bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

03-12-2018, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.G. View Post
A snooker-esk stance offers a lot of benefits, but it does not look as cool as them ball banger stances.
Might be that pool tables are lower, but then you get the fsck down still. 3 point contact on body and you're set.

I'll also readily say that van Boening's stance and stroke is terrible. He's still vastly more successful than I am
Chris Melling on the other hand - proper body tension ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5bNceN12kY

Cheers,
M
i edited your post
deleting what i thought were unnecesary comments

Old
  (#5)
BilliardsAbout
Billiards.About.com
BilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond repute

03-12-2018, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Were you thinking of the height of a snooker stance, or the fact that it tends to be more square toward the target with the body?

There are number of commonly accepted ideas that should be challenged. Snooker players stand low and square because snooker pros have said this is best, and for many years.

However, do snooker pros do certain things because they work best or because other pros said to do so when they were young, up-and-coming players?

-- Matt Sherman

Guide to Pool and Billiards, About.com
Instruction Staff, InsidePool Magazine
Author, book/DVD combo, Picture Yourself Shooting Pool

Old
  (#6)
bbb
AzB Gold Member

03-12-2018, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilliardsAbout View Post
Were you thinking of the height of a snooker stance, or the fact that it tends to be more square toward the target with the body?

There are number of commonly accepted ideas that should be challenged. Snooker players stand low and square because snooker pros have said this is best, and for many years.

However, do snooker pros do certain things because they work best or because other pros said to do so when they were young, up-and-coming players?
i was referring to the more square to the table and chin very low
your other questions are like which came first the chicken or the egg?

Old
  (#7)
goettlicher
PBIA Master Instructor
goettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond repute

03-12-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.G. View Post
You can stir....

Most pool players and instructors are idiots, clinging to the old crap. It's as simple as that.
And I don't mean it in a mean way - people don't like change and challenging their own views.

However, here you'll find a few excellent instructors that know the benefits.
It takes effort, but the reward is huge.

Cheers,
M

I believe that we have just been called an "idiot"!

randyg

P.B.I.A Master Instructor
randyg
www.randygpool.com

Old
  (#8)
bbb
AzB Gold Member

03-12-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goettlicher View Post

randyg
not by me randy
i respect your and fellow instructors opinions
larry

Old
  (#9)
goettlicher
PBIA Master Instructor
goettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond repute

03-12-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
not by me randy
i respect your and fellow instructors opinions
larry
I know that Larry.

I'm just LOL as I read this.

randyg

P.B.I.A Master Instructor
randyg
www.randygpool.com

Old
  (#10)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

03-12-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goettlicher View Post

randyg
Yeah, but he didn't mean it in a mean way.

lol

pj
chgo

Old
  (#11)
measureman
AzB Silver Member
measureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

03-12-2018, 01:06 PM

Because its all about looking good.
The snooker stance looks terrible and dorky.
The traditional pool stance looks cool.
I want to look cool not dorky.
But with that said i do like watching the women snooker players with the right camera angle.

Playng cue- Troy Downey
Back up cue - The Mighty Lucasi Cocobolo
Still straighter than 90 % of all Meucci cues ever made
"Russian Magic Chalk- good enough to steal".

Russian Magic chalk is the nuts.
Its so good my last and only cube was stolen off the table when I went to the bath room.
They left my $1000 cue but stole my chalk, how strong is that?

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help.
The above quote by Softshot

Old
  (#12)
BilliardsAbout
Billiards.About.com
BilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond repute

03-12-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
i was referring to the more square to the table and chin very low
your other questions are like which came first the chicken or the egg?
Not quite. There were a bunch of players who imitated, for example, Willie Hoppe's chicken wing stroke, to no avail.

When I'm told it's necessary to place one's chin right atop the cue stick for Snooker, Billiards or Pool, I sometimes ask, "Do you shoot with your chin or your hand and eye?"

When Allison Fisher came here, she didn't convert her square stance to 45 degrees for pool because "that's how it's done". When fine pool players run over 100 in Snooker, they use their pool stance . . .

-- Matt Sherman

Guide to Pool and Billiards, About.com
Instruction Staff, InsidePool Magazine
Author, book/DVD combo, Picture Yourself Shooting Pool

Old
  (#13)
BC21
Poolology

BC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond repute

03-12-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilliardsAbout View Post
Not quite. There were a bunch of players who imitated, for example, Willie Hoppe's chicken wing stroke, to no avail.

When I'm told it's necessary to place one's chin right atop the cue stick for Snooker, Billiards or Pool, I sometimes ask, "Do you shoot with your chin or your hand and eye?"

When Allison Fisher came here, she didn't convert her square stance to 45 degrees for pool because "that's how it's done". When fine pool players run over 100 in Snooker, they use their pool stance . . .
Good point. For years I played a guy that had a nearly straight up stance, his chin a good 2 feet or more above the cue. He was an excellent player.

And maybe it's just me, but I use both stances, traditional pool player style AND a more prone snooker style, depending on the shot. Not even sure why -- probably because I automatically stand in a manner that just feels right for the shot at hand.

POOLOLOGY
Brian Crist

Old
  (#14)
M.G.
AzB Silver Member
M.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond repute

03-13-2018, 05:43 AM

If you watch closely, the old players like Mosconi, Hoppe weren't even that accurate, with their heads in the clouds. I mean, dead accurate like the current Snooker pros.

The chin-on-cue is all about a consistent sighting, maybe about detecting a wobly stroke. Physics dictate that 3 contact points make for a consistent movement, that's why we include the body as the 3rd (1st is the bridge).

Do and find out what suits your body flaws best - this is really the advice any trainer should give. For me sighting is a problem, that's why I need a consistent starting point.

Cheers,
M

Old
  (#15)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member
FranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond repute

03-13-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
There's a lot to be learned from studying snooker stances, but snooker is not pool. Allison Fisher, Karen Corr and Julie Kelly --- all from snooker backgrounds, adjusted their stances to play pool. You may think that they have snooker stances now, but their stances have changed. I watched their transformations from when they first came to the U.S. into their first few years on tour. It was easy for me to observe since I played both along side and against all three of them on tour.

I think the ideal stance for pool has both snooker and pool elements to it.

Been Verified. Supporter of responsible teaching. Background checks for instructors, especially those who teach kids.

Last edited by FranCrimi; 03-13-2018 at 07:54 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: