Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Ask The Cuemaker
Reload this Page Anyone making matte finished cues?
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
Kim Bye
AzB Silver Member

Kim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

03-12-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyInCali View Post
I think some people are confusing matte finish with oil/gunstock finish.

I always thought matte finish was still auto clear sanded to 0000 wool and no no compounds.

SW calls their gun stock finish as satin afaik.
I agree. If what your looking for is a oil finish, I would think twice. It requires much more care from the owner. Seeing that most players never have their linen wrap cleaned and don't put in a new bumber if the old one wears out or falls out, oiling your cue regulary seems like something very few players would ever do.

Cold silence
has a tendency
to atrophy any
sense of compassion

Old
  (#17)
HQueen
AzB Silver Member
HQueen has a reputation beyond reputeHQueen has a reputation beyond reputeHQueen has a reputation beyond reputeHQueen has a reputation beyond reputeHQueen has a reputation beyond reputeHQueen has a reputation beyond reputeHQueen has a reputation beyond reputeHQueen has a reputation beyond reputeHQueen has a reputation beyond reputeHQueen has a reputation beyond reputeHQueen has a reputation beyond repute

03-12-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Bye View Post
I agree. If what your looking for is a oil finish, I would think twice. It requires much more care from the owner. Seeing that most players never have their linen wrap cleaned and don't put in a new bumber if the old one wears out or falls out, oiling your cue regulary seems like something very few players would ever do.
What kind of care are you referring to for an oil finish?

Oil finishes, when done right, will protect wood for years. Look at rifle and shotgun stocks. A very good friend of mine was a gunsmith. I made him a cue and he requested no finish, he wanted to apply his own oil finish himself. I was blown away. What he did with oil was phenomenal. He did share some of his methods with me.

I made a cue about 20 years ago for a good friend, I did an oil finish at his request. A few years later I said to him, “Anytime you want I can lightly sand your cue and apply a new coat of oil to make it look new”. He kind of got a surprised look on his face and said “It’s perfect like it is”. Oil finishes develop a natural patina over time. Most players want a glossy wet look to their cue and I can understand that but for a sneaky pete or a cue without a wrap it’s hard to beat a properly executed oil finish. Feels great in the hands.

Old
  (#18)
Kim Bye
AzB Silver Member

Kim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond repute

03-13-2018, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HQueen View Post
What kind of care are you referring to for an oil finish?

Oil finishes, when done right, will protect wood for years. Look at rifle and shotgun stocks. A very good friend of mine was a gunsmith. I made him a cue and he requested no finish, he wanted to apply his own oil finish himself. I was blown away. What he did with oil was phenomenal. He did share some of his methods with me.

I made a cue about 20 years ago for a good friend, I did an oil finish at his request. A few years later I said to him, “Anytime you want I can lightly sand your cue and apply a new coat of oil to make it look new”. He kind of got a surprised look on his face and said “It’s perfect like it is”. Oil finishes develop a natural patina over time. Most players want a glossy wet look to their cue and I can understand that but for a sneaky pete or a cue without a wrap it’s hard to beat a properly executed oil finish. Feels great in the hands.
I have seen sweat make oil finishes blotchy and few coats restores it to new condition, but once dirt and sweat get into the wood itself, it`s harder to make it look new again.

Cold silence
has a tendency
to atrophy any
sense of compassion

Old
  (#19)
HQueen
AzB Silver Member
HQueen has a reputation beyond reputeHQueen has a reputation beyond reputeHQueen has a reputation beyond reputeHQueen has a reputation beyond reputeHQueen has a reputation beyond reputeHQueen has a reputation beyond reputeHQueen has a reputation beyond reputeHQueen has a reputation beyond reputeHQueen has a reputation beyond reputeHQueen has a reputation beyond reputeHQueen has a reputation beyond repute

03-13-2018, 07:48 AM

Sounds like the finish wasn’t done correctly. A properly applied oil finish forms a bond against moisture absorption.

Old
  (#20)
Bowmer
"Shooter"
Bowmer has a reputation beyond reputeBowmer has a reputation beyond reputeBowmer has a reputation beyond reputeBowmer has a reputation beyond reputeBowmer has a reputation beyond reputeBowmer has a reputation beyond reputeBowmer has a reputation beyond reputeBowmer has a reputation beyond reputeBowmer has a reputation beyond reputeBowmer has a reputation beyond reputeBowmer has a reputation beyond repute

03-28-2018, 10:51 AM

You can buy a flattening agent to add to the clear when you mix it from almost any autobody paint supply place.... puts out a nice matt finish with all of the protection a regular gloss clear does.

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: