Hollow out the shaft.

Hi

I would like to bore out the shaft on my player. Anyone can share what drill bit size should i use and how deep? I measured a mezz hp2 it was around 6.5 mm. Would like to know what is 314 2 bore size.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Probably too late.
The ferrule tenon is probably too small to be drilled with 1/4 bit.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Thanks for your reply joey (kabayan). Even with the ferrule is in the shaft and change after boring it out?

You can but if the tenon is 5/16 ( almost 8 MM ), you'll have to use a smaller bit than 1/4 .
It's best to do it with a new shaft and keep the tenon oversized .

Now i need to know what size is the tenon. Apology to Olney, just can't handle the deflection, i got used to low deflection shaft and find it hard to play with a high deflection shaft thats why i want to bore it out. Any chance you know the size of the tenon?

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it possible in situations like this, to bore and install a new tenon. Then go about the thin walled ferrule, shaft hole etc?

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Hard to go back from LD to normal shaft. I believe from experience it is easy to play with LD shaft. I would probably buy LD shaft for it and keep this one as a backup.

You can have one made without collar ( just an insert ) .
It will blend in with your cue, no matter what the collar or ring it has .
You can have one made with a 9MM tenon and drilled out with a 6.25MM hole by 5 inches deep.
I suggest a short Mason Micarta ferrule ( 20MM at the most ) and carbon fiber pad.
Linds is your best bet in Manila .

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What tip diameter is the shaft you have now?
If it`s a regular sized shaft 13mm-ish
and has a standard 5/16 tennon. I would do the following:

1. Cut the tennon down to 2"
2. Hollow out the tennon with a 4mm drill bit, go about 1cm deeper than the tennon
3. Fill with foam.
4. Make a capped ferrule of a fairly light material like Juma

That would give you less front end mass, making your shaft more LD.
I`m pretty sure it would hold up to normal playing, but I would only undertake such an operation by informing the customer, that it`s their own risk and that they essentially would be field testing a concept.

Last edited:
What tip diameter is the shaft you have now?
If it`s a regular sized shaft 13mm-ish
and has a standard 5/16 tennon. I would do the following:

1. Cut the tennon down to 2"
2. Hollow out the tennon with a 4mm drill bit, go about 1cm deeper than the tennon
3. Fill with foam.
4. Make a capped ferrule of a fairly light material like Juma

That would give you less front end mass, making your shaft more LD.
I`m pretty sure it would hold up to normal playing, but I would only undertake such an operation by informing the customer, that it`s their own risk and that they essentially would be field testing a concept.

The tip diameter is around 12.90 mm. I was hoping it has 3/8 tenon but i cant confirm. I can cut the ferrule down to the tenon and measure. If 3/8 then i will bore it out. If not then i will replace the ferrule and just sand it down to around 12.6mm. Hope that will lower the deflection.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The tip diameter is around 12.90 mm. I was hoping it has 3/8 tenon but i cant confirm. I can cut the ferrule down to the tenon and measure. If 3/8 then i will bore it out. If not then i will replace the ferrule and just sand it down to around 12.6mm. Hope that will lower the deflection.

Please dont sand it down, use a lathe. It's really hard to sand something down with any degree of accuracy.
I would go a bit smaller than 12.6.
Removing 0.3mm want be enough to make a noticable difference in deflection.
Combine shorter ferrule, with smaller diameter and a lightend tennon. Thats how you get a decent LD shaft. Mezz WX900 is made in precisely that way.

Joe Barringer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why not just learn to play with shaft like it is???

Kim

Hard to go back from LD to normal shaft. I believe from experience it is easy to play with LD shaft. I would probably buy LD shaft for it and keep this one as a backup.

Because an LD shaft plays so much better. Just read all the advertisements from all the manufacturers; they say so therefore it must be true. And, ask all the "pro" players who give you their unbiased opinions about the products they stand behind. I can't imagine these 'pillars of the community' would sell themselves out for money and promote something they didn't believe in.

And lastly, there is a learning curve if you went from a regular shaft to an LD just as you would have going from an LD to a regular shaft. Nothing is easy. You want to play better then practice but make it perfect practice. All this crap out there is just hype and nothing more. The pros can play with broomsticks and pocket balls; so can you.

Please dont sand it down, use a lathe. It's really hard to sand something down with any degree of accuracy.
I would go a bit smaller than 12.6.
Removing 0.3mm want be enough to make a noticable difference in deflection.
Combine shorter ferrule, with smaller diameter and a lightend tennon. Thats how you get a decent LD shaft. Mezz WX900 is made in precisely that way.

Thanks for your reply, I have a cuesmith lathe for sanding down shaft. Although i still want to bore it out even in a smaller diameter that will help I guess.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for your reply, I have a cuesmith lathe for sanding down shaft. Although i still want to bore it out even in a smaller diameter that will help I guess.

If you have a lathe, why would you want to sand your shaft down to size`
Use a cutting tool or a router to take your shaft down to whatever diameter you want.
Sanding is just for the final thousand of an inch or so.

bob_bushka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi
i use a 9/32 bit drilled 3.5 inches deep. I put a little water in the tapped hole and whip it out and use gorilla glue as a foam filler. my tenon length is .375 and so is my diameter. I machine a .5
capped ferule with a glue relief hole. works very nice.