Is Cortland Linen Overrated?

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
I'm curious what cue builders with experience who have used Cortland Linen think? I'm not looking for players personal preference or for wraps on collector cues to maintain original styling.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm curious what cue builders with experience who have used Cortland Linen think? I'm not looking for players personal preference or for wraps on collector cues to maintain original styling.

This is somewhat like asking if cue brand "x" is overrated - It all depends on what your goal is.

A cortland linen wrap is much different than current linen, but then, the way wraps are done
today makes them very different.

Cortland itself winds around a cue butt just like any other piece of string/cord does.

Dale

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The customer determines if it is overrated, not the cue maker.

If the customer thinks it is overrated, they probably won't buy it.

The cue maker usually makes what the customer likes and will buy.

Last edited:

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
Let me try this again. If Cortland was invented today and had no historical relevance would it be the preferred linen used by cue builders over what is available today, assuming the cost was comparable.

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would prefer it as it has a different feel and is much more attractive than what is currently available.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let me try this again. If Cortland was invented today and had no historical relevance would it be the preferred linen used by cue builders over what is available today, assuming the cost was comparable.

I understood the first time. Lol
My answer is. If it was the white with lime green courtland. I would buy it.

JTs cuerepair

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pete Tas

I'm waiting for my cue from Pete Tascarella to come in some time in October, When talking to Pete and ordering back in January, I asked him about Cortland he said he was out of it and also said that he would challenge anyone to be able to tell the difference between Cortland and linen after he got don't installing them, Don't know if it's something he does in his process of installation but he said you cant tell the difference when he is done, Maybe something he does or not don't know,

pfd studios

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
REAL Cortland linen

YES, there is a difference - REAL Cortland line was twisted 3 strands into a group of 3 threads by a process that required very different machinery. The result was a rounder linen thread and that produced a "smoother" feel when wrapped. All our current linen is twisted 2 X 3 and while it would not appear that it might make much difference it can, in the hands of a critical player. Unfortunately, the machinery to recreate the 3 X 3 type linen has all be scrapped.

pfd

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
YES, there is a difference - REAL Cortland line was twisted 3 strands into a group of 3 threads by a process that required very different machinery. The result was a rounder linen thread and that produced a "smoother" feel when wrapped. All our current linen is twisted 2 X 3 and while it would not appear that it might make much difference it can, in the hands of a critical player. Unfortunately, the machinery to recreate the 3 X 3 type linen has all be scrapped.

pfd

Good point(s).
Yes indeed - there was a difference between how The old fishing line was made
and the way current linen cord is made. And the line from the good old days is preferable
to me, but that alone doesn't mean it has to be superior.

To the OP,
I still think you are not asking the right question to get the info you seem to want

IMHO - the overwhelming issue for today's wraps vs Herman Rambow's wraps is
pressing and polishing - prior to the 60s or early 70s cuemakers just wrapped
the cord around the handle and handed you the cue back.

No filling, no pressing, no polishing.

There was a world of difference in the feel of the wrap due to the processing.

Dale

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
To answer some of the questions,

It is possible to finish linen to mimic the Cortland look, and if finished right, it also is very smooth, like Cortland. There are various methods; I've done it by hand. A lathe makes it easier.

The reason you see every Tasc cue with linen coming out looking like Cortland is that he applies a technique to make it so. This also goes for all the late Tad cues. They weren't Cortland, but they had the look of it. I'd be glad to go over the process by PM, but I'm not going to argue the subject.

All the best,
WW

Reactions: bbb

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To answer some of the questions,

It is possible to finish linen to mimic the Cortland look, and if finished right, it also is very smooth, like Cortland. There are various methods; I've done it by hand. A lathe makes it easier.

The reason you see every Tasc cue with linen coming out looking like Cortland is that he applies a technique to make it so. This also goes for all the late Tad cues. They weren't Cortland, but they had the look of it. I'd be glad to go over the process by PM, but I'm not going to argue the subject.

All the best,
WW

IMHO - you are also thinking of wraps that are way too recent.

Cortland was NOT smooth. You could feel the individual turns of cord on the butt.

And most of all, it was intended to be absorbent.

The old-timer who first showed me how to wrap a cue said of the wrap that after
a good deal of use, "It'll feel just like a towel"

Dale(livin' in the past)

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
IMHO - you are also thinking of wraps that are way too recent.

Cortland was NOT smooth. You could feel the individual turns of cord on the butt.

And most of all, it was intended to be absorbent.

The old-timer who first showed me how to wrap a cue said of the wrap that after
a good deal of use, "It'll feel just like a towel"

Dale(livin' in the past)

It's only "not smooth" if the maker chooses it to be or doesnt know how to work it to be. It can be finished any way you like. Pete T is a great example. I lke Cortland but todays lnen when worked is just as dsireable to me for feel.

Last edited:

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's only "not smooth" if the maker chooses it to be or doesnt know how to work it to be. It can be finished any way you like. Pete T is a great example. I lke Cortland but todays lnen when worked is just as dsireable to me for feel.

Which is a repitition of exactly what I have said in this thread(?) and about a dozen
other threads over the years, dealing with Irish Linen wraps.

Dale

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Which is a repitition of exactly what I have said in this thread(?) and about a dozen
other threads over the years, dealing with Irish Linen wraps.

Dale

Unfortunately I haven't read all of your posts... just commenting on the one I quoted. :)

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let me try this again. If Cortland was AROUND today and had no historical relevance would it be the preferred linen.

YES
I know this an old thread, I didn't want to start a new thread for my question.

String Linen Wrap
is it - Pressed, Waxed, Polished, or Waxed, Pressed, Polished ?
Thanks

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
YES
I know this an old thread, I didn't want to start a new thread for my question.

String Linen Wrap
is it - Pressed, Waxed, Polished, or Waxed, Pressed, Polished ?
Thanks

Whatever the method is, I have a cue that I want wrapped like that.

Who is the best to do it?

Anybody on here do it?

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I still don't know which comes first?
Wax or Press

and about the Cortline String - it's like holding a million dollars in your hands :grin-square:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I still don't know which comes first?
Wax or Press

and about the Cortline String - it's like holding a million dollars in your hands :grin-square:

Jmo
I have never used wax. I have heard that some who want the linen to have a little more grip have used wax paper on it. Not my choice.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jmo
I have never used wax. I have heard that some who want the linen to have a little more grip have used wax paper on it. Not my choice.

NO WAX, NO POLISH , NO BUFFING....
Linen wrap is pressed and you can press how smooth you want it.
"I use SCOTCH GUARD SPRAY Over the wrap,
once its pressed-
Helps keep it clean and water resistant