what is the going rate from Southwest on a refinish?

Playhard419

Registered
I don't think Laurie is interested in refinishing any of their satin cues. I asked last month and she said they were meant to be this way.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think Laurie is interested in refinishing any of their satin cues. I asked last month and she said they were meant to be this way.

I was wondering about that as this thread progressed. I know that when I called to ask about satin cues I was told they were intended as a "pacifier" for customers who had a cue on order. You couldn't get a satin cue from them unless you had already ordered a cue at the then/currant wait/price.

Rackattach

Banned
I was wondering about that as this thread progressed. I know that when I called to ask about satin cues I was told they were intended as a "pacifier" for customers who had a cue on order. You couldn't get a satin cue from them unless you had already ordered a cue at the then/currant wait/price.

Exactly, this is why the satins are so damn expensive and sought after for what they are.

It is not bad and a regular refinish would be all it needs.

Asking on here because it is something I was thinking about during this holiday weekend and sw I doubt would answer the phone. There are many people on here that deal with sw on a regular basis and would have a good idea.

Well, people on here are more likely to pick on you and make fun of you about your questions then actually give nice and helpful info. Probably because they do not know the answer to your question though .

I believe if you trully have a "satin" AND its "beat up" you have more issues with the cue than you think.. If I'm thinking correctly a satin SW has little to no finish on it from the start so a beat up one, I would guess, means that there are a lot of dings dents scatches etc... If thats the case, to get those out and put the cue back to spec would be more work than if the cue has finish on it from the start. That said you could have them put finish on it to cover up some of the damage but it would no longer be a satin cue and would hurt the value.. if youre worried about that kinda thing.

You seem to know a lot about south west cues. I am curious why that model would have a very thin finish on it. What does Satin mean, for south west cues? Just curious.

Yup. Might get a real good quote and decide to have them do it. They've done just about every high end cue you can think of and with excellent results.

I assume the cue might lose value if it gets refinished from.anyone other then SW. I once had a nice Scruggs, and thought about getting it refinished. I remember reading on his site that he would not refinish any cue that some other cue maker has done work on in the past.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Laurie will do the refinish theres no reason to call Scot regardless of price..
Is Laurie "hands-on", or are there employees that do the actual work" Also on a new SW cue, does Laurie build them or does other people that work at SW. I've never quite understood this since Jerry Franklin is deceased. Someone please enlighten me, and I'm sure others reading this would like to know. Thanks in advance.

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is Laurie "hands-on", or are there employees that do the actual work" Also on a new SW cue, does Laurie build them or does other people that work at SW. I've never quite understood this since Jerry Franklin is deceased. Someone please enlighten me, and I'm sure others reading this would like to know. Thanks in advance.

Laurie is very much involved and more or less manages the entire South West Cues operation--wearing many hats but not operating the machines. One of the hands on things she does is select and match up cue shaft pairs. The cues are built by the same people who were there when Jerry was still with us to the same exacting quality standards. They are steadfast to their original methods. I salute them for their consistent and excellent service in American cue craft!

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I know Proficient billiards does great work but I would never have anyone other than SW refinish a SW cue.

hi Cliff;

I would consider Proficient on a Satin because you're starting with a cue that sw sells for approx $800 and actual market value is maybe twice that so, imo, paying an extra approx $220 over what Proficient would charge is a fairly high %.

If you were to resell the cue after a refinish, I don't think the overwhelming majority of potential buyers would care much if Proficient did the work vs SW.

But if you were looking to keep the cue to play with, you better send it to SW so it doesn't get into your psychology when you're down on your shots. :grin-square:

best,
brian kc

boradriver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi Cliff;

I would consider Proficient on a Satin because you're starting with a cue that sw sells for approx $800 and actual market value is maybe twice that so, imo, paying an extra approx $220 over what Proficient would charge is a fairly high %.

If you were to resell the cue after a refinish, I don't think the overwhelming majority of potential buyers would care much if Proficient did the work vs SW.

But if you were looking to keep the cue to play with, you better send it to SW so it doesn't get into your psychology when you're down on your shots. :grin-square:

best,
brian kc

Hello Brian,

For me I would never have anyone refinish a SW other than SW.

I do plan on keeping the cue wether it stays in the current condition or I have SW refinish it.

I also have to disagree I think people looking for a sw will care if sw did it ir not.

Hope things are going well.
Cliff

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I do plan on keeping the cue wether it stays in the current condition or I have SW refinish it.

I also have to disagree I think people looking for a sw will care if sw did it ir not.
Cliff

Spot on. You are correct as usual.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Hello Brian,

Hope things are going well.
Cliff

As someone said earlier, if it's a "satin" SW prabably wont refinish it. If it were me I would ask Laurie to "clean it up", make it look a little fresher, and you may get them to give it a bit of spa treatment to your liking.