Hypothetical Question - What would you do?

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I would always let my opponent know he was about to shoot the wrong ball. Always have. It doesn't matter whether he would do the same or not. It doesn't matter if it was for money or the championships. To me, it's a question of sportsmanship and my own morality. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff. As I see it, we are all in the same race together. That race is the human race.

What about if he was about to shoot his own object ball, but it was the wrong choice. He will not get the proper leave on this next ball. Do you tell him, hey, shoot the 6, as you have a natural angle on the 7 ball by doing this, and then bam, you are right on the 8, then 9? I mean, why not help someone who can't see the obvious?

Madnecity

Registered
Depends on how important winning that game is to you. There's no "right" answer.
The only certain thing is that it's not wrong to not tell her.

Anytime your confronted with an ethical question, take the high road. Those are the people that earn our respect and admiration. Lets say we're in the 9-ball world championship and you spoke up..... You're the one who will be remembered more than the winner of the game.

What about if he was about to shoot his own object ball, but it was the wrong choice. He will not get the proper leave on this next ball. Do you tell him, hey, shoot the 6, as you have a natural angle on the 7 ball by doing this, and then bam, you are right on the 8, then 9? I mean, why not help someone who can't see the obvious?
To me, that becomes a matter of skill. Unless it's a friendly game, you're not there to give lessons.

pro

I have often wondered about this issue and asked a top player for his opinion.
He claims that it is completely inappropriate to say anything to your opponent as he about to shoot, no matter what the level of the game is and what your remark is. For example you would never dream of saying something like,
" Hey you're playing that wrong, You should be using top right instead of bottom left". You may think you're trying to help him , but
he didn't ask for your opinion and could well resent being given it. The case of shooting at a wrong ball should be the same. It's completely up to the opponent to make the decision on the shot. After all, maybe he want's to take a deliberate foul for some unknown reason. Highly unlikely perhaps , but strange things do happen at the table sometimes.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That problem is what is the high road here. I used to tell my opponents about them getting on the wrong ball until I met one guy who had an interesting take on this situation. He told me that a player choosing the ball out of rotation totally failed to examine the layout of the balls and by warning him I was taking taking away from him the lesson he would have learnt (foul) given he played the wrong ball.
Also I have encountered a point of view by a referee who told me that if I stop my opponent by warning him about shooting the wrong ball I am basically doing unsportmanlike conduct as I should keep my mouth shut during my opponents play (only one exception to that rule being to stop the game to call a referee).
So generally I keep quiet, fortunately at the level of tournaments I play in this doesnt come up often...I remember maybe 1 time in the last 2 years and I wasnt even looking at the table at that time to be able to warn my opponent so it isnt much of an issue for me.. ;)

Bad Luck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't tell him until after he shoots. Then keep telling him. And telling him. Say, "Man I feel bad that I waited to tell you... NOT!" Even better is to begin apologizing for the delay in telling him. Keep apologizing over & over. Tell him how bad you feel. Don't forget to keep up the apologizing until the match is over. If you play him again start it up again. Don't let up.

BobFromPV

Registered
Looking for honest answers to the following question - Your opponent is mistakenly getting ready to shoot at the wrong ball in a rotational game. If you see it happening in time to stop him, do you tell him before he shoots?

Does it matter if it's a weekly local tourney, a bigger tourney, a money session with a regular, a money session with a stranger, or a crucial shot very late in a close set in any of those situations, where telling them or not telling them is likely going to cause you to win or lose the set?

I don't have a problem with a player that doesn't inform me, and is honest enough to tell me it is not his responsibility to inform me, if I'm the one shooting at the wrong ball. After all, it is my mistake.

What irritates me is the player who lets you know you fouled as soon as you shoot it, but then tries to claim he didn't notice what you were doing in time to stop you, but that he would have stopped you if he'd realized it in time, as he takes the ball-in-hand. Particularly if this has happened in numerous instances versus the same player.

For myself, I'd like to think I'd normally let my opponent know, unless there was a history of issues / problems with that same player, which could affect my decision to cut him a break. I know that when someone is honest enough to tell me before I shoot, it is much appreciated, I thank them for their honesty, and I make a note to make sure to return the favor to that player in the future.

Bottom line is, until we are faced with the situation, and depending on any number of circumstances at the time, can any of us say with absolute certainty what we would do?

Honest answer: it's very situational. Friendly game, I'll speak up. Weekly league against a stronger player, likely not; against a weaker player, probably. Regional Tourney or Nationals? Early on, I'll probably say something, deeper in, definitely not as you're likely playing against an experienced player who should know better.

seantheboss

If there was a ref on the game, would he warn your opponent before he shot?
Probably not , don’t feel compelled to play for both sides.
There are no friends on the table , just opponents.
Regards, Sean

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
To me, that becomes a matter of skill. Unless it's a friendly game, you're not there to give lessons.

But yet, I'm there to give lessons on shooting the "right" balls? Part of the game is paying attention. If you can't remember which ball to shoot, that's a mental problem that I'm not going to fix for you during a game. I won't even tell a friend, I'll just take BIH. He needs to learn to pay attention to the game.

snooker136

That is why I play snooker. All the pro snooker players in the world, will and always call fouls on themselves. It is the proper way to play any billiards. anyone that say different, are cheats and does not promote the game and have low morals. And there is only one set of snooker rules in the world. Not lIke 8 ball BCE, VENA, CPA, Bar, or lost pocket, too many rules.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very strange how this thread, which I started, seemed to have run it's course as of this past weekend, then has been revived for a couple pages worth of additional responses today. I guess there's just not been many interesting threads lately.

As with most threads here, the variety of responses and opinions members here have regarding this game, particularly regarding etiquette and sportsmanship issues, never ceases to amaze me.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Looking for honest answers to the following question - Your opponent is mistakenly getting ready to shoot at the wrong ball in a rotational game. If you see it happening in time to stop him, do you tell him before he shoots?

Does it matter if it's a weekly local tourney, a bigger tourney, a money session with a regular, a money session with a stranger, or a crucial shot very late in a close set in any of those situations, where telling them or not telling them is likely going to cause you to win or lose the set?

I don't have a problem with a player that doesn't inform me, and is honest enough to tell me it is not his responsibility to inform me, if I'm the one shooting at the wrong ball. After all, it is my mistake.

What irritates me is the player who lets you know you fouled as soon as you shoot it, but then tries to claim he didn't notice what you were doing in time to stop you, but that he would have stopped you if he'd realized it in time, as he takes the ball-in-hand. Particularly if this has happened in numerous instances versus the same player.

For myself, I'd like to think I'd normally let my opponent know, unless there was a history of issues / problems with that same player, which could affect my decision to cut him a break. I know that when someone is honest enough to tell me before I shoot, it is much appreciated, I thank them for their honesty, and I make a note to make sure to return the favor to that player in the future.

Bottom line is, until we are faced with the situation, and depending on any number of circumstances at the time, can any of us say with absolute certainty what we would do?

Chris, it's happened to me several times over the years when a guy gets down to shoot at the wrong ball. I've ALWAYS told them if I could catch them in time. I never wanted to win a game on a bullshit call. On the other hand if a guy gets down to shoot and touches the cue ball with his tip, that's a foul each and every time. I've called that more than once as well.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chris, it's happened to me several times over the years when a guy gets down to shoot at the wrong ball. I've ALWAYS told them if I could catch them in time. I never wanted to win a game on a bullshit call. On the other hand if a guy gets down to shoot and touches the cue ball with his tip, that's a foul each and every time. I've called that more than once as well.
Agreed - I don't think there would be many here that would let that slide, in any type of tournament or money session. Players who come extremely close to the CB with their cue tip in their pre-strokes risk this foul occurring at any time.

I often find myself, on an extremely easy 9-ball shot, making extra sure I don't come anywhere close to the CB on my pre-strokes, knowing at that moment, that is the only possible thing that could cause me to lose the game!

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
That is why I play snooker. All the pro snooker players in the world, will and always call fouls on themselves. It is the proper way to play any billiards. anyone that say different, are cheats and does not promote the game and have low morals. And there is only one set of snooker rules in the world. Not lIke 8 ball BCE, VENA, CPA, Bar, or lost pocket, too many rules.

I have played a lot of snooker and pool...tournaments and gambling.
I find the same percentage of standards in both disciplines....good and bad.

In my personal experience, the carom world has the best manners...
...they are the aristocracy of the billiard world.

Mr. Wilson

El Kabong
Gold Member
Silver Member
Anyone able to explain how this thread drew out every poster in existence with less than 10 posts?

Majic

With The Lights ON !!
Silver Member
I always tell my opponents when they are shooting at the wrong ball in rotation...

should I expect the same treatment?