How does one get pro status?

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
names

Not to get involved in the back and forth but unfortunately events and tours are just like people, they can call themselves almost anything they please if it isn't already taken.

I am considering putting on an event at the local rat hole that only has old bar tables. They were old when I was young and none have been recovered since then. I'm gonna add fifty bucks to the pot, take out half the entry fee for a green fee, and call it The Intergalactic, Tri Universe, Pro Championship. It will be open to anyone that has forty bucks. I'll get a rubber stamp made and if anyone disputes that this is a pro event I will stamp "PRO" on competitor's foreheads to prove they are pros!

Oh yeah, I'm charging an extra two bucks for membership in my pro organization which as of now has one event tentatively scheduled. If you aren't a member of my pro organization you aren't a pro even if your initials are SVB.

This is the way the game is played and has been for a long time!

Hu

ChopStick

Unsane Poster
Silver Member
Even in the days of the Pro Billiards Tour, I'm pretty sure you could just show up at an event and play without needing a tour card.

I used to have one of those. I signed up and paid the fee right before the whole thing disappeared.

Some tournaments like the Memphis Open had Pro and Amateur events. The entry fees for the Pro event was $500 while the Amateur side was only $20. You wouldn't expect to see Thorsten Holman show up and pay $20 to compete for the amateur prize fund.

When I first moved to central Florida, I was banned from every tournament in town because they said they did not allow any "A" players to compete. Only "B" and "C".

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Do not think there is a U of Pool, so anyone can call themselves a Pro Player is they wish. Think if Pool in some sharpe or form is you main income you a Pro at Pool, even if it the guy working behind the desk. Sweeping tables, taking money, and cleaning the John.:p

Professional is someone who gets paid for their skill, does not mean you getting rich, or even living the high life.

Friend Cliff was profession Pony gambler for a few years, lived in his car when his money ran out in some Horse Tracks Parking Lot, until he made a big score. If it Trotted, Ran the Quarter Mile, or was a Throughtbread Cliff was placing bets every race.

The old joke I love goes like this: What the difference between a Professional Pool Player? And a Extra Large Pizza. Family of four can be fed by the ELP. (Extra large pizza)

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Old joke:
What's the difference between a Professional Pool Player and a Large Pizza?

Answer:
A large Pizza can feed a family of four.

Why Do Armatures Have Nicer More Expensive Equipment Then Most Pro Players.

They Can Afford It.

So Sad But True...