Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page How does one get pro status?
Page 6 of 6 « First 456

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
upon further review
Old
  (#76)
ShootingArts
Smorg is giving the 7!
ShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

upon further review - 11-24-2019, 03:13 PM

Upon further review and a bit more thought, all you have to do is beat Jesse Cardiff.

Hu

Old
  (#77)
Brizzle
AzB Bronze Member
Brizzle has a reputation beyond reputeBrizzle has a reputation beyond reputeBrizzle has a reputation beyond reputeBrizzle has a reputation beyond reputeBrizzle has a reputation beyond reputeBrizzle has a reputation beyond reputeBrizzle has a reputation beyond reputeBrizzle has a reputation beyond reputeBrizzle has a reputation beyond reputeBrizzle has a reputation beyond reputeBrizzle has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-24-2019, 07:28 PM

Thank you all for your post.
I know im not close to the pros.
There is a Pool hall not to far of a drive host alot of local tournments.
I will try out.
I will go to the dcc. Not that i plan to win but to see how far i can go.
My buddy that goes every year all ready fill out his entry fee.

I have always thought a pool pro would be some one whos main income is pool and wins big money tournments and possibly sponsored and gets invited to big pool events.

Player cue W/ predator 314 2 shaft
Player sneaky pete break cue
Robin dodson frog jump que
Skill level: between bar player and league player

Old
  (#78)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

11-24-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizzle View Post
Thank you all for your post.
I know im not close to the pros.
There is a Pool hall not to far of a drive host alot of local tournments.
I will try out.
I will go to the dcc. Not that i plan to win but to see how far i can go.
My buddy that goes every year all ready fill out his entry fee.

I have always thought a pool pro would be some one whos main income is pool and wins big money tournments and possibly sponsored and gets invited to big pool events.
Please don't take this wrong. I'm not calling you out in any way but, just out of curiosity,
I would like to see a video of you playing the 10 ball ghost or whatever your strongest game is.

I understand and will not take it wrong if you don't. It would go a long ways in helping some of the more knowledgeable (not me, I'm not even close to.an instructor) people here on AZB to guage your speed and pretty much give you the exact info you searching for.

Jeff

I knew a fellow that thought he was a good boxer because he was in a position to befriend a lot of "professional boxers". It cost him azzwhippens till he realized he wasn't what he thought/wished he was.

Do you know anyone like the "wannabe" boxer in the pool world?

Old
  (#79)
mikepage
AzB Gold Member
mikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond repute

11-24-2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Drive View Post
Fargo Rate may have an opinion....
(on what constitutes a pro-level player)

We don't, primarily because we don't want to assign special significance to any particular number.

In fact, we prefer ALL attempts to put players in bins just go away

PRO, B, 7, A, BB, OPEN, 5, ADVANCED, AA, C, D, B+, A-, 4, INTERMEDIATE...

Let it all just shrivel up and go away...

mike page
http://www.fargorate.com
player ratings for the world

Old
  (#80)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

Lightbulb 11-24-2019, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepage View Post
(on what constitutes a pro-level player)

We don't, primarily because we don't want to assign special significance to any particular number.

In fact, we prefer ALL attempts to put players in bins just go away

PRO, B, 7, A, BB, OPEN, 5, ADVANCED, AA, C, D, B+, A-, 4, INTERMEDIATE...

Let it all just shrivel up and go away...

Mike,

Playing the ghost is very popular among pros and amateurs alike. It would be nice to have a fargo on the odds of someone beating or losing to the (for example) 10 ball ghost.

Is there a way to know the odds of say, DO or SVB beating the 10 ghost with the following format, based on their Fargo ratings?:

Race to 25
No pattern racking
designated racker with 1, 2 and 3 on corners vvvvvv
Magic rack
Break in box
No ball in hand
Scratch on break is loss
All balls foul
Call shot
10 cant go on break
10 cant go on early combo after break

Sorry if this question is to far off the charts but, I am curious.

Thanks for your time,

Jeff

I knew a fellow that thought he was a good boxer because he was in a position to befriend a lot of "professional boxers". It cost him azzwhippens till he realized he wasn't what he thought/wished he was.

Do you know anyone like the "wannabe" boxer in the pool world?

Last edited by jrctherake; 11-25-2019 at 01:14 AM.

Old
  (#81)
ChopStick
Unsane Poster
ChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-25-2019, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realkingcobra View Post
If anyone can enter, then it's NOT a Pro event!
Then why was it called the Seminole Pro Tour?

Don't believe everything you think.

names
Old
  (#82)
ShootingArts
Smorg is giving the 7!
ShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

names - 11-25-2019, 06:46 AM

Not to get involved in the back and forth but unfortunately events and tours are just like people, they can call themselves almost anything they please if it isn't already taken.

I am considering putting on an event at the local rat hole that only has old bar tables. They were old when I was young and none have been recovered since then. I'm gonna add fifty bucks to the pot, take out half the entry fee for a green fee, and call it The Intergalactic, Tri Universe, Pro Championship. It will be open to anyone that has forty bucks. I'll get a rubber stamp made and if anyone disputes that this is a pro event I will stamp "PRO" on competitor's foreheads to prove they are pros!

Oh yeah, I'm charging an extra two bucks for membership in my pro organization which as of now has one event tentatively scheduled. If you aren't a member of my pro organization you aren't a pro even if your initials are SVB.

This is the way the game is played and has been for a long time!

Hu

Old
  (#83)
ChopStick
Unsane Poster
ChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-25-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hang-the-9 View Post
Even in the days of the Pro Billiards Tour, I'm pretty sure you could just show up at an event and play without needing a tour card.
I used to have one of those. I signed up and paid the fee right before the whole thing disappeared.

Some tournaments like the Memphis Open had Pro and Amateur events. The entry fees for the Pro event was $500 while the Amateur side was only $20. You wouldn't expect to see Thorsten Holman show up and pay $20 to compete for the amateur prize fund.

When I first moved to central Florida, I was banned from every tournament in town because they said they did not allow any "A" players to compete. Only "B" and "C".

Don't believe everything you think.

Old
  (#84)
CocoboloCowboy
Cowboys are my heros.
CocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1538

11-25-2019, 07:00 AM

Do not think there is a U of Pool, so anyone can call themselves a Pro Player is they wish. Think if Pool in some sharpe or form is you main income you a Pro at Pool, even if it the guy working behind the desk. Sweeping tables, taking money, and cleaning the John.

Professional is someone who gets paid for their skill, does not mean you getting rich, or even living the high life.

Friend Cliff was profession Pony gambler for a few years, lived in his car when his money ran out in some Horse Tracks Parking Lot, until he made a big score. If it Trotted, Ran the Quarter Mile, or was a Throughtbread Cliff was placing bets every race.

The old joke I love goes like this: What the difference between a Professional Pool Player? And a Extra Large Pizza. Family of four can be fed by the ELP. (Extra large pizza)

Old
  (#85)
Pete
AzB Silver Member
Pete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond repute

11-25-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick B View Post
Old joke:
What's the difference between a Professional Pool Player and a Large Pizza?

Answer:
A large Pizza can feed a family of four.
Why Do Armatures Have Nicer More Expensive Equipment Then Most Pro Players.

They Can Afford It.

So Sad But True...

Page 6 of 6 « First 456

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: