Fixing tight southwest joint

I just picked up a cue with a 3/8 x 11 Southwest style joint. Both of the black collared shafts screw on nicely until the last 3-4 threads. At that point it takes alot of cranking to get the shafts flush to the flat faced joint. The first 1/2 inch of the shaft female thread is the black phenolic then the remainder is threaded into wood.

Any reccomendations for losening the joint? Can I just use a 3/8 x 11 tap and have my cue maker/repaired drill out the shafts some? I tried a little wax no help, thinking of a little liquid soap.

Thanks in advance for your reccomendations.

Paul Dayton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It sounds like it isn't tapped deep enough. Measure the depth of the hole with a toothpick or straw and if it is deeper than the pin is long, I would run a tap in the hole until it bottoms out and try the shaft again. Make sure the tap follows the existing threads in the shaft.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just picked up a cue with a 3/8 x 11 Southwest style joint. Both of the black collared shafts screw on nicely until the last 3-4 threads. At that point it takes alot of cranking to get the shafts flush to the flat faced joint. The first 1/2 inch of the shaft female thread is the black phenolic then the remainder is threaded into wood.

Any reccomendations for losening the joint? Can I just use a 3/8 x 11 tap and have my cue maker/repaired drill out the shafts some? I tried a little wax no help, thinking of a little liquid soap.

Thanks in advance for your reccomendations.

In your area, get in touch with Ron Kady or Dan Dishaw, they'll take care of it.

Thanks for the responses

Dan Dishaw is refinishing the cue for me now. It is a one of a kine McDaniel Gambler cue, it will be very nice when redone.

The threads seem deep enough, as the shafts can be tightened all the way down. It's just that the last 4 threads are as tight as can be.

Dan doesn't have the SW style tap, but I will buy one if it is the solution. I suppose it is. The tap is only $32 so I gues we'll try retapping the threads. Thanks again.

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dan Dishaw is refinishing the cue for me now. It is a one of a kine McDaniel Gambler cue, it will be very nice when redone.

The threads seem deep enough, as the shafts can be tightened all the way down. It's just that the last 4 threads are as tight as can be.

Dan doesn't have the SW style tap, but I will buy one if it is the solution. I suppose it is. The tap is only $32 so I gues we'll try retapping the threads. Thanks again.

It fit once or it would never have left the shop. I would put a little candle wax or soap on the pin to lubricate a little. I wouldn't remove material unless all other remedies fail.

Dick