Just bought Eddie Robin's Shots, Moves and Strategies

I just bought Eddie Robbin's notable work Shots, Moves and Strategies for one pocket. I know this isn't the wanted/for sale section, and this isn't an advertisement per se, but I wanted to share that Mr Robin has just a few new copies of this book remaining and after that they are gone.

His two works on 1 pocket are the recognized standards. Winning one pocket now sellls for upwards of $300 for used copies. This book has all the advanced moves and strategies that are certain to advance your game.

This book is cowritten by some of the game’s greatest players; Marshall "Squirrel" Carpenter, Steve "Monster" Cook, Shannon "Cannon" Daulton, Jimmy "Flash" Fusco, Billy "Mustache" Incardona, and Larry "Boston Shorty" Johnson (co-authors for the W1P book: Jack "Jersey Red" Breit, Ed "Champagne Eddie" Kelly, Grady "Professor" Mathews, Leonard "Chicago Bugs" Rucker, Bill "Weenie Beanie" Staton, Eddie "Knoxville Bear" Taylor).

This book is easily the most comprehensive ever published on the shots, moves, and strategies of the one-pocket game for it illustrates hundreds of moves needed for both intermediate and professional levels. Many photos and illust., 328 total pages, Apr 1996. For sale is a single, 1996 edition SMS leftover from when went out of business in 1997; this SMS book, however, is in new, EXCELLENT CONDITION. This book has not been previously sold or even opened, and so, though a leftover from when published in late 90s, it can still be considered as new.

Description of this SMS Book: This hard-to-find out-of-print, 3lb, 8.5x11 format, hardcover, one-pocket book has a great many photos. As per 1996 billiard mag reviews; as with the first book of the set, WINNING ONE-POCKET -- as taught by the game’s greatest players (W1P), the SMS book may be the ‘’finest billiard instructional book ever.’’ The SMS continues from where the W1P left off with "shots, moves, and strategies. Author, book designer, and publisher, Eddie Robin, as with W1P, created

I can't wait to work with this book, then go play some 1 hole for the cash:yeah:.

Here's the ebay link to his listing.
http://http://cgi.ebay.com/Shots-Moves-Strategies-One-Pocket-Pool-Robins-books-/290555200259?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a6708303

Mitchxout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Winning One-Pocket" was a great book. The "Shots, Moves, Strategies" not so much, although the book is a good investment.

"Winning One-Pocket" was a great book. The "Shots, Moves, Strategies" not so much, although the book is a good investment.

Well, I have half the puzzle then. Now I can start the hunt for W1P :wink:. Besdes I'm sure to make this expense back at the tables in just a few short months.

Get them while they last, there are very few new, uncirculated copies available from the author.

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Such as you describe is a real treasury and certainly enjoyable reading, but keep in mind that many of these shots and moves must be executed with deadly accuracy and many will only work on good equipment. Just reading and going to a game with these moves, will not make you a winner, as much as it will if you practicing them first and become proficient at executing the shots. I have seen first hand the wisdom of Shannon Dalton and it's easy to see he has coupled it with a stroke that few will ever achieve. The same applies to Efren.

Understood

Certainly having this knowledge, coupled with my current abilities, will jump start my sucess in one pocket.

Similiarly I have garnered much in advancing my 8 ball, 9 ball and straight pool games from working with books by Hemming, Cappelle, Kohler and others...

Too many people "play pool" and never "practice pool". To me it's akin to learnig to play a musical instrument. You build on basics and add to your repertoire. How many people just pick up a guitar and sound like Hendrix?

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
One of the reasons I wont buy that book is that for 5 years everyone has been hearing about the last few of those Mr. Robin has left, and magically another box pops up and the price can stay at what it is.

Plenty of people have called or emailed him and he said oh wait maybe I have one around here, oh I just found a box in the closet, oh I just found some in the garage. Boxes just seem to pop up everywhere, but amazingly they pop up at the much much higher price than what they originally sold for. He drives the price up himself making them seem scarce.

I just bought Eddie Robbin's notable work Shots, Moves and Strategies for one pocket. I know this isn't the wanted/for sale section, and this isn't an advertisement per se, but I wanted to share that Mr Robin has just a few new copies of this book remaining and after that they are gone.

His two works on 1 pocket are the recognized standards. Winning one pocket now sellls for upwards of $300 for used copies. This book has all the advanced moves and strategies that are certain to advance your game.

This book is cowritten by some of the game’s greatest players; Marshall "Squirrel" Carpenter, Steve "Monster" Cook, Shannon "Cannon" Daulton, Jimmy "Flash" Fusco, Billy "Mustache" Incardona, and Larry "Boston Shorty" Johnson (co-authors for the W1P book: Jack "Jersey Red" Breit, Ed "Champagne Eddie" Kelly, Grady "Professor" Mathews, Leonard "Chicago Bugs" Rucker, Bill "Weenie Beanie" Staton, Eddie "Knoxville Bear" Taylor).

This book is easily the most comprehensive ever published on the shots, moves, and strategies of the one-pocket game for it illustrates hundreds of moves needed for both intermediate and professional levels. Many photos and illust., 328 total pages, Apr 1996. For sale is a single, 1996 edition SMS leftover from when went out of business in 1997; this SMS book, however, is in new, EXCELLENT CONDITION. This book has not been previously sold or even opened, and so, though a leftover from when published in late 90s, it can still be considered as new.

Description of this SMS Book: This hard-to-find out-of-print, 3lb, 8.5x11 format, hardcover, one-pocket book has a great many photos. As per 1996 billiard mag reviews; as with the first book of the set, WINNING ONE-POCKET -- as taught by the game’s greatest players (W1P), the SMS book may be the ‘’finest billiard instructional book ever.’’ The SMS continues from where the W1P left off with "shots, moves, and strategies. Author, book designer, and publisher, Eddie Robin, as with W1P, created

I can't wait to work with this book, then go play some 1 hole for the cash:yeah:.

Here's the ebay link to his listing.
http://http://cgi.ebay.com/Shots-Moves-Strategies-One-Pocket-Pool-Robins-books-/290555200259?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a6708303

jondrums

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the reasons I wont buy that book is that for 5 years everyone has been hearing about the last few of those Mr. Robin has left, and magically another box pops up and the price can stay at what it is.

I agree, this always seemed shady to me. However, its a really silly reason not to hunt down a copy of W1P. That really is an incredible book, and I'm sure that Eddie and the authors didn't make enough money on it to compensate them for their time. Eddie really is a very nice guy, and extremely well meaning - if a little eccentric.

I would encourage you to look past your distaste for his (quite common in any industry) business practice, and pick up a copy. Not everyone likes to learn from books, but if you do, this is the one.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
heres my 2 cents for all its worth
there is no where else as much knowledge about one pocket as there is in those 2 books
winning one pocket and shots moves and strategies
those that can absorb whats in them and translate it into match play will never regret the money spent

Testa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I have half the puzzle then. Now I can start the hunt for W1P :wink:. Besdes I'm sure to make this expense back at the tables in just a few short months.

Get them while they last, there are very few new, uncirculated copies available from the author.

Im your huckleberry ! :)

I'll be at salt city tomorrow with a few others around 5 if you wanna play some 1 hole -

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Such as you describe is a real treasury and certainly enjoyable reading, but keep in mind that many of these shots and moves must be executed with deadly accuracy and many will only work on good equipment. Just reading and going to a game with these moves, will not make you a winner, as much as it will if you practicing them first and become proficient at executing the shots. I have seen first hand the wisdom of Shannon Dalton and it's easy to see he has coupled it with a stroke that few will ever achieve. The same applies to Efren.

I'd agree with this. I've made a list of the shots I can execute fairly easily with a bit of practice. A great many of them are beyond me, without, as you say, ideal equipment and a great stroke.
Cliff, is that you;)

Im your huckleberry ! :)

I'll be at salt city tomorrow with a few others around 5 if you wanna play some 1 hole -

Baby, you are the reason I bought this! You've been after me to learn this game for awhile, so here's my spring project. Maybe we can start off with 8 to 6 if that's fair! I won't get the book until Thursday so just give me a little while to get into it.

Plenty of people have called or emailed him and he said oh wait maybe I have one around here, oh I just found a box in the closet, oh I just found some in the garage. Boxes just seem to pop up everywhere, but amazingly they pop up at the much much higher price than what they originally sold for. He drives the price up himself making them seem scarce.

Well, I am more than satisfied with the price I paid. Following that purchase and I was invited by Mr. Robbin to call him. After speaking with him for over an hour about his life and my game I can say that he is a real gentleman, with a wealth of relevant knowledge about the game.

For those who don't see the relevance of this book or who are skeptical of the business practices of this aging knowledgable person I would say don't spend your money.

For those who are interested in obtaining the sage advice of an accomplised player and recognized expert I would say take a chance on expanding your game a bit.

He's written several of the most recognized texts about 1 pocket and 3 cushion billiards. In part, through his writings, he has promoted these games and elevated the level of play in this country. Something that deserves recognition.

Last edited:

Bohemian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Baby, you are the reason I bought this! You've been after me to learn this game for awhile, so here's my spring project. Maybe we can start off with 8 to 6 if that's fair! I won't get the book until Thursday so just give me a little while to get into it.

see if you can get 18-4 thats what the Lion & the Freezer gave Dippy Dave ...

:)

see if you can get 18-4 thats what the Lion & the Freezer gave Dippy Dave ...

:)

I'm pretty sure Testa isn't like Frost or Reyes, but you never know. He has been hounding me to play for awhile. Maybe we'll find out tonight, I'm sure I know next to nothing about the game, but it's time to learn! Shooting home, vs. myself is a pretty even game though.