Paining Cue Butt (Predator)

ice-9

Registered
I'm curious, has anyone ever painted a predator butt end? I was going to give it to a professional painter to wet sand and re paint. Specifically speaking, break cue or their solid color cues, not the wood finish cues.

There's over spray on the original cue and the sections aren't exactly clean. I was curious if anyone has any input on the subject of what to do and not to do?

hunter121

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not exactly what your asking but I did a spray on truck bed liner/sand mix layer deal on my BK2 for the grip area since the sport wrap was hideous after much use. Was easy straight forward, and everyone who has used it absolutely loves it. Will try and dig up a picture of it.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm curious, has anyone ever painted a predator butt end? I was going to give it to a professional painter to wet sand and re paint. Specifically speaking, break cue or their solid color cues, not the wood finish cues.

There's over spray on the original cue and the sections aren't exactly clean. I was curious if anyone has any input on the subject of what to do and not to do?

It's a Predator break cue, why are you worried about it being perfect and spending extra money on it? It's not a custom cue where you may need to fix it for the value.

You don't have any cuemakers to do this in your area? Or send it to one of the places that does re-finish work?

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you cherish the cue and it's an expensive one have it professional redone.

A break cue is a tool that takes beating. Save your money and enjoy the cue. Use the money for another cue or case,

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I'm using black duct tape to "fix" my cue butt.

It's a style thingy that drives my opponents nuts.

Jeff Livingston

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Overspray? Post photos, it sounds like a knockoff cue.

Predator cues are built on one of the nicest facilities in the word, ultra-high quality. Their facility gives any other cue maker the 4-out

Note: I don't use Predator products and loathe their marketing, but have to acknowledge the high levels of tooling, automation, and standards.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Not exactly what your asking but I did a spray on truck bed liner/sand mix layer deal on my BK2 for the grip area since the sport wrap was hideous after much use. Was easy straight forward, and everyone who has used it absolutely loves it. Will try and dig up a picture of it.

Shit that's brilliant. Definitely want to see that. Rhino-Liner wrap LOL

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Holy Smokes, a post which I agree with Ideologist.

Anyway it's a Predator, maybe. Take some masking tape, wet & dry paper and the rattle can color of your choice and DIY.

I've done all my MC helmets this way and they look really good. Until they fall off the bike the first time.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Can you post a picture....and explain more fully, please?
My wrapless snooker cue is too slippery for me.

ice-9

Registered
It's an original cue, it's just quality control on predators part, I've seen this on other cues by them before on the bk3s....

It wouldn't exactly be a ton of money to do the butt end , yes it's a break cue, but nobody said you can't make them look good. what I was getting at, does it have to be resealed, or painted over and wet sanded properly, then clear coated, will that suffice, I would imagine it would . Again, I'm not a painter or cuemaker, was just a thought. I dont think the weight would be drastically altered as the cue is already painted black.

Last edited:

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
Predator cues are built on one of the nicest facilities in the word, ultra-high quality. Their facility gives any other cue maker the 4-out

Lol.
Their facility may or may not give every other cuemaker the 4-out (I haven't seen it) but the resulting products most certainly do not.

Mezz gives Predator the 6 and is covering the rail.

Not talking about how they play since that is subjective but strictly build quality.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm using black duct tape to "fix" my cue butt.

It's a style thingy that drives my opponents nuts.

Jeff Livingston
Ive seen nice bikes painted up to look like junk to keep the kids from stealing them.

I like that duct tape look, didn’t Earl Strickland tape up his butt on his player cue?

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Lol.
Their facility may or may not give every other cuemaker the 4-out (I haven't seen it) but the resulting products most certainly do not.

Not talking about how they play since that is subjective but strictly build quality.

In terms of fit and finish? I love custom cues but no one comes close without spending huge money. Their facility and final product is tops. The paint job is perfect everytime, I give them the utmost credit for doing a great job

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
In terms of fit and finish? I love custom cues but no one comes close without spending huge money. Their facility and final product is tops. The paint job is perfect everytime, I give them the utmost credit for doing a great job

Yes, fit and finish. Tolerances, build quality, paint, material quality and so on. It's not close. Mezz by a mile.

Regards, Dave

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Lol.

I agree...sold a lot of Predator, especially shafts, when they were North American.
...had to replace a few when the operation went overseas.
Mezz is an excellent product.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Time to let your artistic side emerge....your own design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxP7N37L8RQ

ice-9

Registered
Looks to be fairy simple. I'm not into doing a fancy design, but it would be nice to customize it a bit. Thanks!

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Rattle can and clear. Do not wet sand between coats of clear until you get to the top coat and need to rid the orange peel.

Good luck.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Rattle can and clear. Do not wet sand between coats of clear until you get to the top coat and need to rid the orange peel.

Good luck.

I've been told to do it between each coat by a guy who does furniture.

What's the reason for your way? I assume it just works better, but why, if you please?

Jeff Livingston