Replacing Break Tip

mnsneakypete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the best way to get a break tip flush with the ferrule on a lathe? I am installing a White Diamond Ultra tip. With a typical leather tip, I usually take the edge down close with the cutting tool, then use a utility blade parallel with the ferrule to trim it flush. The issue is that the Ultra tip is so hard that I cannot trim it with utility blade. I can use sandpaper, but its tougher to get it flush that way. Any other suggestions?

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I install white diamonds all the time, First is to indicate the shaft to rotate within a few thou, then after install, I machine the tip close to the ferrule, then using a SHARP razor blade, with the lathe running in reverse, using a wet sponge to wet the area, take small passes on the tip to make it, not only flush to the ferrule, but also with a slight taper to allow for expansion a few breaks down the line, as they will move slightly. The overall effect is to have a tip that is flush with the ferrule, with little to no sanding required. It is possible, but takes a steady hand, and practice
Dave

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I indicate the ferrule as close to zero runout as I can. Then trim the tip down with a HSS tool with a fresh grind, I make sure to have the tailstock with a concave live center pushing against the tip the whole time.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i am not a cue maker
i did a google search and did not find an answer
what does "indicate " the ferrule mean ??

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i am not a cue maker
i did a google search and did not find an answer
what does "indicate " the ferrule mean ??

To make sure the shaft spins as true as possible. Especially for hard tips, it's worth taking the time to indicate and shim if you have to, in order to get perfect concentricity.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a finger type dial test indicator , and use a Ruby stylis. The ruby will not mark the materials. I also use one with the lowest N force as well. Mine is a Tesa brand from Switzerland and has the longer 36mm or so stylis length. I normally use the 2 or 3mm ball in Ruby.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a finger type dial test indicator , and use a Ruby stylis. The ruby will not mark the materials. I also use one with the lowest N force as well. Mine is a Tesa brand from Switzerland and has the longer 36mm or so stylis length. I normally use the 2 or 3mm ball in Ruby.

I bought one of those too. Tesa Swisstast 0.01mm resolution. It might cost a little bit more than Mitutoyo, but it`s a joy to use. Just make sure you have a good mag base to go with it.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
You guys are too fancy.
Turn down to within. 005 of the ferrule.
Turn down close to final size but stop right before the ferrule.
Use a single cut 6 inch file.
File it even with the ferrule.
Sand lengthwise with 600 grit paper if you have a little lip.
Develop a skill in using a file.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
You guys are too fancy.
Turn down to within. 005 of the ferrule.
Turn down close to final size but stop right before the ferrule.
Use a single cut 6 inch file.
File it even with the ferrule.
Sand lengthwise with 600 grit paper if you have a little lip.
Develop a skill in using a file.

I use a blade, don't care for the file method....but same deal...do it and acquire the feel of it.... there is no simple ' everyone a can do it ' method. It is something that needs to be developed thru trying it, and get the knack for it.
JMHO,
Dave

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I use a blade, don't care for the file method....but same deal...do it and acquire the feel of it.... there is no simple ' everyone a can do it ' method. It is something that needs to be developed thru trying it, and get the knack for it.
JMHO,
Dave

For a break shaft with a epoxy or phenolic type tip, file is fine.

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Files

I keep my files alphabetically, extra fine, fine, incredibly fine, super fine, :)

Mario

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Word. If you've never used a file, it will blow your mind how quick and easy it is to shape just about anything.

Interesting. I've installed quite a few leather tips, (without any specials tools), just trim and sand flush with the ferrule. So if i'm understanding what you're saying I can do the same with a break tip, but use a file to get the tip flush with the ferrule?

Eddie

wabelly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
replacing break tip

Need to use top quality blade to trim cheap blade don't cut good